buggsyboo

Want to learn to swoop...advice?

I have a vengeance 107. And finally feel comfortable enough to start exploring swooping. I would like to start learning basic swoop drills. Not many people swoop at my DZ so I'm not sure where or how to start. We do not have a pond or anything.I don't have a swooping alti so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!!

I have a vengeance 107. And finally feel comfortable enough to start exploring swooping. I would like to start learning basic swoop drills. Not many people swoop at my DZ so I'm not sure where or how to start. We do not have a pond or anything.I don't have a swooping alti so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!!

your profile lists a Crossfire2-129, so I am guessing you just downsized.

Why did you pick a Vengeance ?

Practice your accuracy by flying a conventional pattern and consistently hitting your altitude check-points at each leg of the pattern.

If you can consistently hit a target after flying a conventional pattern with pre-determined altitude check-points, you're probably ready to speed up your landings.

This may sound very basic, but it's a skill that too many jumpers seem to forget when they want to swoop. Some people get hurt simply because they did not put themselves in the right time and place to initiate a high performance landing.

Get some real help from a well known and recommended swooper who has worked with people before .
This will cost you but may well in the long run save you a lot of money trying by yourself, and getting no where .
Might also save your life !!!
Go to the swoop forum and post there, see what happens.
There are several good ones out there,your choice.
DO NOT listen to the guy with 100 jumps more than you who has a smaller canopy where (or near) you are, that's a recipe for disaster.
Paul.

Don't.

Yeah, I know, everyone is going to criticize me for that advice. But it IS advice, on one side of the coin. Lots of jumpers get seriously hurt swooping, and if you want to avoid the extra risk of injury or death created by swooping, then DON'T do it. Now that this has been said, the rest of you can go on and tell him how to downsize ever smaller, to go faster and faster, to hook turn lower, and to put his life at more risk. That's the other side of the coin...

1) Don't crash!

2) use toggles to dig out

3) Canopy courses!

4) Listen to those who are able to land consistently(>10 jumps) on the same approach with a swoopmachine

5) Get a Samurai 105! opens 10 times better then the vengence and is also airlocked.

6) Don't do more then 450 rotations(preferably only 270). Otherwise you'll have to get so low to hit perfect that you're almost to low everytime(I did 630's and crashed after some time)

7) get a digital altimeter and keep it on your mudflap. It's perfect for accurate setups

8) Calm down...You still learn how to swoop even if you don't do a hookturn. better to bust one landing and walk away then get airlifted away. =/

9) Smile :)

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Start with double front, straight-in approaches. If you have to help the canopy recover to level flight with toggles, you were in the corner. (If this doesn't mean anything to you, get coaching.)

Get coaching, get video.

Stay away from swooping altis until you are consistent in your setup *and* can make a decent landing on a fouled-up setup. Learn what to do when things don't go perfect.

Get coaching.

Remember to finish your flare. If you have to run, you put it down early. Continue flying as long as possible (and continue flying when you already have weight on your feet but haven't fully landed yet).

Talk to people, read up a lot, and get coaching.

Did I mention a coach is really, really useful? The big problem is finding a coach you can connect with, who can teach, who knows what he or she is doing and is conservative and safe in teaching you the skills you need. You need a lot more skills than yanking on a frontriser or two; most of all, you need judgement. Developing that is going to take time. But your coach (and mentor) will tell you that. If he doesn't, get a coach, a real one, a good one, not this fraud.

This advice worth what you paid for it. :P

Johan.
I am. I think.