fenix.freefly

spectre and swooping

while it is possible to swoop on a spectre, i do believe it was required to be proven by a top canopy pilot....if you really want to get into swooping you may want to look at a sabre 2 as a first canopy.

edit to add: IMO and FWIW. and that there are many more oppinions that may or may not be more valuable than mine.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

maybe stupid question, why not stiletto?

They have a really short recovery arc, so you have to initiate your turn dangerously low. This gives you less time to adjust or bail. Not that swooping isn't dangerous in and of itself, but with proper canopy choice you can improve your odds.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Don't larger (150+) Pilots have a really short recovery arc too? What about the Pulse?

And smaller ones too.

The Pulse was probably designed to have a short recovery arc as well, but I've never flown one and I don't remember what the world and its dog have already posted about the Pulse right on this forum. (Why don't you do a search? :)
Johan.
I am. I think.

They have a really short recovery arc, so you have to initiate your turn dangerously low. This gives you less time to adjust or bail. Not that swooping isn't dangerous in and of itself, but with proper canopy choice you can improve your odds.

Which in and of itself is not a bad thing, if you are only gonna fly a stilletto. I know people that can swoop the shit out of them. However, when you transition to a katana or velo/xaos/xbrace whatever, and you try that same style turn, you're gonna find yourself one with mother earth after about 90 degress of rotation.

And that would suck.

And smaller ones too.

The Pulse was probably designed to have a short recovery arc as well, but I've never flown one and I don't remember what the world and its dog have already posted about the Pulse right on this forum. (Why don't you do a search? :)

I've read those threads already actually, they're in the gear & rigging forums (for the most part IIRC) but not so much in the canopy forum. I thought it might be useful to mention/confirm other currently available canopies which exhibited the same (or similar) characteristics as the Stiletto & therefore maybe not the best for swooping.

I have a friend who's 270ed at Spectre 170, I saw him land it & watched the video, good stuff. You really can swoop anything if you know what you're doing (well, I don't know what I'm doing but it certainly seems that way).

I didn't realize the smaller Pilots also had the same issue. I've only flown a 150 Pilot once & while that certainly wasn't enough to get a feel for the canopy, I did notice that the recovery arc was kind of short. I haven't flown the Pulse yet but I was thinking about trying it out in ZHills this year.

I love trying different canopies, I'm a bit of a canopy slut... :$

Thanks for the reply though. :)

Which in and of itself is not a bad thing, if you are only gonna fly a stilletto. I know people that can swoop the shit out of them. However, when you transition to a katana or velo/xaos/xbrace whatever, and you try that same style turn, you're gonna find yourself one with mother earth after about 90 degress of rotation.

And that would suck.

Is there really so big difference between stiletto and sabre2 in recovery arc?