AggieDave

Lineset choice

I talked to some of you at nationals about this, but I can't remember the conclusions I had come to during those conversations. I need to get my Velo relined and I have completely discounted 350 HMA after TheHappySwooper blew his apart after roll out. I was thinking about the 500-ish HMA, but I'm still kind of concerned about that. I was thinking about the Vectran in the same size, but I seem to remember someone telling me about the line design and how it'll flatten, get fuzzy and create more drag as the line set ages.

You guys know me and my exit weight, what do you think?

Yes this belongs in Swooping and not GnR since I don't want non-swoopers going "get dacron, it'll stretch on opening and make your openings better..."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I talked to some of you at nationals about this, but I can't remember the conclusions I had come to during those conversations.

you need to lay off of that Texas moonshine, my capitalist friend.

I have completely discounted 350 HMA after TheHappySwooper blew his apart after roll out. I was thinking about the 500-ish HMA,

but he was on 300's, 350 is considerably stronger and has longer life. but if you still have concerns, i'd go with HMA 500, however I have also heard two reports of breakage on those lines with about 200 jumps...

Yall are at fault too! We went through 2 1/2 gallons of Jack during those 10 days!

i'd go with HMA 500, however I have also heard two reports of breakage on those lines with about 200 jumps...

I'm not too concerned with having to replace a high performance lineset sooner than a standard lineset, I just don't want to blow through linesets every two months.

That and I was wondering if there really is any performance gain from the 500 HMA over the 550 Vectran.

Yall are at fault too!

thats the spirit. Blame the other "forengers" for your issues.

We went through 2 1/2 gallons of Jack during those 10 days!

that's all? My baby brother in kindergarten drank that much vodka over a two day drinking binge once. He died from alcohol poisoning, of course, but he only weighed 120 lbs when he was 5... he was the smallest in the family.

I was wondering if there really is any performance gain from the 500 HMA over the 550 Vectran.

Me too. But visually, at a quick glance i couldnt tell the difference right away between HMA 350 and 500...and vectran 500 looks a bit thicker then HMA 500, to me at least. Just that leads me to believe that there is a bit of a gain from drag reduction.

I was waiting for Kolla to get back on her computer and I was going to IM her about it, but my friends here would have a quick answer as well.B|

My other question would be what if I took the 500HMA to terminal? I haven't done all that many terminal skydives that didn't involve a drogue in the past two years, but it does happen.

I really need to put together a "real" skydiving rig and keep my rig setup for swooping only. That would solve that problem!

but he was on 300's, 350 is considerably stronger and has longer life.

Actually almost exactly the same strength when new. We have tested them side by side........

Another option is the 425 that we have. Coated and uncoated.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

What are your experiences on hma 500? How many jumps on average do you get out of them? I have 500's on mine and was thinking to get 500 jumps( just random number poped in my head). I take it to terminal all the time. Do HMA's show any wear one them once has more jumps on it? Thank you.

Hey Dave,

I thinks it the country fried steak you have to watch out for :)

I have been jumpin 750 vectran, and just got relined with 280 jumps on the line set. That's what led to my cut a way at nationals. Slider was hangin all the way up, kinda like it was stuck. PD told me wear I had looked more like 600 jumps....

Kolla is the one to ask, Robin Miller was a great help too. Good luck :D

Hope to see ya soon

Steve

Really! Good to know i always thought of 300 as a much weaker line. but then why do 300s break so easily as compared to 350s?

After the last discussion here regarding 300 vs 350 Technora, I did some R&D on it.

It seems that PD is getting their line material from Braid Cord SA.
It also seems they (Braid Cord SA) do not pre-condition the fiber BEFORE braiding it as does CSR who manufacturers the material for me. This is as important as the UV coating on the thinner line material..

CSR found through past experience that preconditioning is nessecary for both Vectran and Technora fibers before the braiding process begins.

It is more costly than not doing, it but well worth the extra cost.

There are other factors involved also.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

but he was on 300's, 350 is considerably stronger and has longer life.

Actually almost exactly the same strength when new. We have tested them side by side........

Another option is the 425 that we have. Coated and uncoated.

BS,
MEL

good stuff MEL - keep it up. next reline on my jvx I may consider your 425 coated. depends on how my second stock lineset works out. on the first one I had a massive spinning mal (caused by a tension knot) and busted 4 A lines...

RM

500 HMA is completely suitable for terminal jumps. I switched from vectran 500 to HMA 500 this season, and love them. I didn't have one shitty opening all year (almost all terminal jumps), and it feels to me, anyway, like I carry a little more power out the bottom of my turn with them. Not a lot, but I can feel it. I expect (hope) that these lines will last about the same as all the vectran 500 sets I've gone through.

Canuck

I've got about 300-350 jumps on my HMA 500 on a Xaos loaded ~1.9, about 75% ow which were terminal jumps with no problems whatsoever.

Sure, but what is your exit weight? That is my biggest concern. To put it into "swooper terms," I load my Velo 111 at about 2.6:1. No I don't wear a weight belt. Well, I do, but I can't take it off with out a change in diet and some serious miles logged on my lonely lonely old running shoes.:D

Yeah, I've got 50lbs on you out the door. I think I'm going to put Vectran on it (and/or keep on keeping on with my current line set, maybe) until I really ramp back up into training for nationals. Then I'm going to go with the 500 hma.