freefalle

feedback on containers

Okay,,, after spending alot of time online looking at the different containers out there Im going to post the question. Im putting some thought into what I want to get for my new container and I think Ive narrowed the choices down to the Dolphin and the javalin Im kind of leaning more to the Dolphin because of the price, my budget is kinda tight, Dolphins seem to be rather plain looking rigs, which is fine for me because Im more concerned about fit and function. Im 6'02 and about 220 lbs Im jumping a fairly large canopy (triath 210) Im doing a some RW, some Freeflying and will be doing some video in the future.
what is the opinion of the masses? Given my size will I be happy with the Dolphin or should I shell ou the extra cash for the Javalin? is there enough difference between the two rigs to justify the money or are you just paying more because of the name???? thanks for your opinions....

The Dolphin is inexpensive because of the way it is made. The flaps are not reinforced, velcro instead of tuck tabs, etc. I would not rate it as scary, just "OK." The newer models are better at bridle and pin protection, but I'm not a free flyer so I won't give you advice there.

My recommendation to you if you're on a budget is to find a used Javelin (likely a J-5 to fit your Triathlon 210 comfortably). You're a big guy like me, so you'll carry it well.

There are a couple listed right here in the Dropzone classifieds. Buying over the internet, ask the seller to ship it to your Rigger or your Gear Shop as a responsible third party so you can have it inspected before you buy.
Arrive Safely

John

Infinities are also relatively cost effective. A recent thread on them was very, very positive. I ditto the used rig suggestion though. I think you would be happier with a used rig versus a new Dolphin.

http://www.skydivenet.com/vse/Infinity.htm

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Since you can pack a Dolphin the same as a Javelin, it looks and functions the same,
If someone gave me a Dolphin, I would cheerfully put 500 jumps on it.
As I see it, the only disadvantage to Dolphin is the low resale value.
Far wiser to spend the money you save buying a Dolphin, Genera, decent used rig, etc on jump tickets because currency will keep you alive.

I would scrape up some money and get a javelin. Its worth having what you want. Plus it holds a higher resale value, but thats down the road. You should feel confidentin your rig, not settle for what you can afford. The javelin is worth the extra effort

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Have you considered a used Jav or Mirage?
They can be had for the cost of a new Dolphin.
The Dolphin is a good container, but the useful life is short compared to other top-'o-the-line containers. Try before you buy anything.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

For only $200 more then a Dolphin you can get a custom Wings. The Wings is half way between the Dolphin and the Jav in price.

Personally... I'd go with what makes you happy. Most the freefliers at my DZ ditched their Dolphins after about 500 jumps on them to get Mirages since they were starting to be able to out fly thier container.

Dolphins are cheap since the only option you get is Black or black? And the dolphin color. Harness size is S,M,L, or XL and thats as custom as it gets.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was real close to getting a new Dolphin because I got good feedback from the Dropzone.commers that jump the Dolphin 2000 with the tuck tab riser covers. And the price was what I could afford. After I got a quote from a dealer for the tuck tab riser covers, riser dive loops, velcro free toggles, kill line PC w/hackey and two colors, I happened to see a Wings special from the same dealer. The Wings ended up a littlemore than $ 20 cheaper than the Dolphin. I got to customize the colors on most of the container for zero additional $$, and the tuck tab riser covers, dive loops, and velcro free toggles were included in the standard rig price. Check outthis months special @ Rigs & Things. My new Wings is on order.

There were a few statements that aren't true in the above posts, so I've just addressed them all below. Personally, I think the Dolphin will work great for you.

The Dolphin is inexpensive because of the way it is made. The flaps are not reinforced, velcro instead of tuck tabs, etc.

New Dolphins have tuck tabs for the riser covers. The only velcro flaps are the main (which works as well or better than Mirage) and the reserve, which works fine as well.

Far wiser to spend the money you save buying a Dolphin, Genera, decent used rig, etc on jump tickets because currency will keep you alive.

The original post stated he was interested in some freeflying. When you starting leading someone into the used gear market you may end up steering them toward something that is not freefly friendly. New Dolphins are freefly friendly.

Dolphins are cheap since the only option you get is Black or black? And the dolphin color. Harness size is S,M,L, or XL and thats as custom as it gets.

Dolphins are available in any color you wish. There just isn't any tie-dye options. Check the web site at www.altico.com. Harness sizing is more custom than you've described. You do have to give the company measurements and the rig is cut to fit you.

Given my size will I be happy with the Dolphin or should I shell ou the extra cash for the Javalin? is there enough difference between the two rigs to justify the money or are you just paying more because of the name????

The same person originally designed both containers. There are definitely differences. Shelling out the extra cash for a Javelin gives you a rig without any velcro, more options on coloring and a higher resale value (if you take care of the rig). A Dolphin is just as safe as a Javelin. There is a bit more maintenance with a Dolphin, making sure the small amount of velcro left on the rigs stays in good condition. Finally, the Dolphin just isn't as flashy as other containers, but it all depends on what you want to spend your money on.

Hope that clears some items up and help in your decision.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

>Dolphins are available in any color you wish. There just isn't any tie-dye options. Check the web site at http://www.altico.com. Harness sizing is more custom than you've described. You do have to give the company measurements and the rig is cut to fit you.

You get to choose the color of 4 flaps and the dolphin only (at $20 per panel different and $20 for the Dolphin), the rest are black. Harness color is black only also.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My first question is; why have you limited yourself to just these two rigs? There's quite a gap between those two, especially in price, and there are several rigs out there that fill that gap. Others have mentioned Genera (which is Rigging Innovations' equivalent of the Dolphin), Wings and Infinity. There's also the Talon2 (or is it 3 now), which should be in the middle somewhere. All the latter three are rigs that should be freefly-friendly at a "reasonable" price.
If you're going "high-end" like the Javelin you have a much wider spectrum of rigs to choose from. Mirage, Vector 3 and the Voodoo, to name three. Why don't you consider any of these and option?

I believe that you are limiting yourself too much by choosing between only the Dolphin and the Javelin, but perhaps you have some criteria for your rig that I don't have for whatever I'll be choosing next.

One last note; always see what gear people jump before you take their "advice" about gear choices all the way. I'd say that more than 90% of all people will recommend the brand they're currently jumping. A lot of these recommend it not because it's that much better than everything else out there, but because it makes them feel better about their own rig. All IMHO ofcourse ;)

---
Unanswered questions are far less dangerous than unquestioned answers

New Dolphins are freefly friendly.

That depends on how you define freefly friendly. Most rigs can handle a head down. Head down is just position.

(in reference to a javelin)
The same person originally designed both containers.

I believe it was a colaboration with the same guy who designed the "wings" Wings is a nice rig. I would freefly the shit out of a new wings.... a Dolphin? No way.

Peace
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto