agent_lead

170 katana @ 450 jumps

$1500 lighter and a Katana 97 just about to slapped on risers. Point is, I KNOW I will be under a Velo someday...:)

Hey have you jump katana yet? How do they compare crossfire and katana similar size? Its intresting because you switched from one to another for SOME reason:)

I had two choices.... go directly to Velo or take another baby step and use the Katana before the Velo to get used to some of the same characteristics ( ground hungry, steeper dives, etc.). Depending on who I listened to, I was ready for the Velo and then in some people's opinion I wasnt quite ready ( including my own - which in the end is what matters ) . So, based on my understanding and information received about the Katana, it seemed another step closer to the Velo which is the ultimate goal...Now maybe I should have gone for the Katana 89 instead of the 97, but I figure I can always downsize the Katana again before the Velo. I like to believe that when I finally do get the Velo, it will be such a natural progression that I will be a safe and accurate pilot with it.

That said, I do see some jumpers that go MUCH faster in progression than I do with less jumps per year, and are under Velos at much lower jump numbers and sometimses I wonder whether I am just being a sissy. That said, canopy piloting isnt just about being under the fastest machine, it requires other skills that I am learning, you can acquire under any size canopy. Nothing like seeing someone under a canopy that flies them instead of the other way around to remind me that slow and steady is the way to go for me...

I'l be under the Katana this weekend for the first time so we'll see if my thought process holds up :ph34r:

yeah there was that crossfire 2 129 that was going to be my canopy for a while...until that pesky icarus rep lent me a 119 which I bought one and then bought a 109 and promptly sold the 119

uggggghh

I haven't demo'd anything since my Velo though...

keeping myself from it at this point...
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

my opinions on same sized katanas vs crossfire...

the crossfire you have to work it to get it to dive...katana you can have an inkling of a thought that you might want to turn in the back of your mind and you are diving like crazy...

I like the katanas I like the crossfires.... different styles for sure....

Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

honestly i didnt want to jump a much smaller canopy..and i know that the safire2 that i was flying..the 189..leveled out immediately upon release of the fronts..it was like a spring..boing!

so far i have about 20 jumps on the kat170 and i really love it...im not really wanting to go much smaller then that...this is why i expect to be on the 170 for quite some time..its really an amazing canopy and a world of difference for me...

im taking a Brian Germain canopy course in may and im organizing a course with Jeffro in june at the ranch..im also planning on meeting up with Tj and getting some coaching with him at the end of the summer on the left coast...

im taking this downsize pretty seriously..because to me..someone who has only jumped safires and sabres in the 210-190 range..to goto a katana..its a very large change in flight characteristics..i see that and i do not take it lightly and i want to be well informed and trained so i not only keep myself safe but i also keep my friends safe.and i learn and have fun and REALLY pilot the canopy in the process...

anyone who knows me will tell you that i dont just jump into things without thinking it thru and researching it throughly..and i always seek advice, training and tips from the best of the best..

that being said...i cant wait to learn more..

-agent
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

I got it B| can't wait to try katana then!

order yourself a demo...what size would you be flying? i dont advise downsizing...

I did that a week or so ago got an email saying there's a waiting list and that they need to check my background. Requested katana 120 since i fly XF2 119 these days. Getting impatient maybe I'll email PD again or ring a bell to see if I qualified. if not I'll just buy katana 89 since there's one for sale now >:(:S:D don't take me serously for the last sentence...

well shimas I know kim likes to be thorough on her background checks...

funny thing is that even though we chilled in Florida on the ground I dont know if I ever saw you land

D

No worries I'll do my best to stop by at the ranch this season! And show some skill B| anyhow the trip to florida tought me a lot and now I am a much safer at what and how i do while trying to swoop! Come to ck for swoop club? Both times we had gorgeous weather lil chilly on the first jump but no problems for the rest of the jumps and zero winds going into ~3mph downwinders SWEEEET! got to show nice and even more funny swooop I got during the club :P

i wish i had a rig...i cant do swoop club untill the first week of may when it comes in..

::slaps self for selling rig before having new one::

Yo Leds while you waiting for your new rig check out what we are doing at the swoop club! :P

Ok, now whoever is going to check it out dont beat me to death :S I am learning... and its fun!

check it out where?

Ups I had you tube link here but didn't show up on here go and look for chiopis or tadinator ;)

THE TADANATOR!!

man that is so fucking classic!

i am the tadanator..i will chopanate you!
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

Way to stall out on the rear risers.;)

Maybe a transition to toggles about 1/4th of the way into that swoop and it would have been more successful.:)

Thanks Blink for the link!

I know Aggie :) But right before I stalled I thought to myself OH SH*T :D well everyone got a good laugh. BTW it was like 25th jump on this canopy to me but as I said it wasn't the reason for the stall :P