Kirils

X-Wing canopy

Kirils, it looks like it might be cross braced but not with the cross bracing only going half way up the "non-stressed" rib. The top skin looks almost like a normal canopy.:S

Is it cross braced?

Can you "quickly and short" translate this?;)

TRUE SHAPE
erhöht die Profiltreue der Kappe, kommt mit weniger Nahtzugabe aus, packt deshalb kleiner als vergleichbare
Schirme, hat jedoch auf Grund einer ausgeklügelten "Statik" die gleiche, wenn nicht sogar eine höhere Festigkeit.
Um den Anforderungen der jeweiligen Zielgruppen gerecht zu werden, haben wir besonderen Wert auf die passende
Aerodynamik der Kappe gelegt. So wurden z.B. 3 verschiedene Profile gerechnet, die auf den jeweiligen Einsatz-
zweck genau abgestimmt sind. Pilotenschwerpunkte, Anstellwinkel und die Entfernung zur jeweiligen Kappe
ergänzen die einzelnen Konzeptionen.

Der X Wing is ein neu überdachter Schirm, angesiedelt im Bereich der Hochleister. Er
besticht durch sein hervorragendes Gleiten in Verbindung mit absolut anspruchsvoller
Präzision im Flug von der keinerlei Agressivität ausgeht. Die Kappe tritt nicht als kom-
promißloser Nur-Sportler an, als vielmehr der elegante und souveräne „Wolf im Schafs-
pelz“ der die Power dann bringt, wenn‘s drauf ankommt. Sportliche Spitzenklasse und
Alltagstauglichkeit bei geringstem Packvolumen sind seine Stärken. Und das zu einem
realistischen Preis.

KONZEPTION:
Um diese Vorgaben umzusetzen haben wir ein für Sprungfallschirme noch nie verwende-
tes Seitenverhältnis gewählt. In Verbindung mit unserem bewährten und aus den Twin
Tandemschirmen bekannten Hochauftriebsprofil VX, neuentwickelter Nasenform „SLED“
und der Doppeltrapezform konnten die hohen Ziele erreicht werden.

FLUGEIGENSCHAFTEN:
Der X Wing fliegt schnell, satt und sehr elegant. Das Kurvenverhalten ist für solch eine
Spannweite typisch : die Kappe hat einen relativ großen Kurvenradius. Dies hat sich
jedoch als überaus positiv erwiesen, da dieser Schirm ein hohes Potential an
Kurvenbescheunigung entwickelt. FR Kurven sind eher steil und das Tauchverhalten ist
ausgeprägt. Der Flare ist dementspechend lang und der Auftrieb gegen Flare Ende ein-
fach überzeugend. Der Stall am X ist weich und kündigt sich früh an. Bei Toggleturns ist
er im Vergleich weniger agil, ( Wendekreis ) aber wer es gern richtig radikal mag, sollte
sich mal einen REAR Riser Turn antun. Ein absolut geniales Flugmanöver, das nur mit
dem X richtig abgeht. Da der Schirm als guter Gleiter ausgelegt ist, bringt Backriser-
fliegen eher wenig. Wir konnten die besten Ergebnisse mittels 1/4 Bremse erzielen.
Probiert es einfach selbst aus.

PACKEN:
Normaler Pro Pack mit einer Besonderheit: Slider muß in die Mitte der Leinengruppen -
Nasen bleiben offen und eher vor dem Slider. Schwanz leicht drehen

Technische Daten

"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the German language, but that won't stop me from trying:;)

TRUE SHAPE
erhöht die Profiltreue der Kappe, kommt mit weniger Nahtzugabe aus, packt deshalb kleiner als vergleichbare Schirme, hat jedoch auf Grund einer ausgeklügelten "Statik" die gleiche, wenn nicht sogar eine höhere Festigkeit.

TRUE SHAPE
increments the [profile loyalty] [of] the [canopy] , comes at fewer [extra-seams] outfield , grapples therefore peewee[very little...:D] when comparable [canopies] , has however on ground a ausgeklügelten[sophisticated, elaborate] " statics " the match , unless[if not] even a higher strength(?).

Um den Anforderungen der jeweiligen Zielgruppen gerecht zu werden, haben wir besonderen Wert auf die passende Aerodynamik der Kappe gelegt. So wurden z.B. 3 verschiedene Profile gerechnet, die auf den jeweiligen Einsatz-zweck genau abgestimmt sind. Pilotenschwerpunkte, Anstellwinkel und die Entfernung zur jeweiligen Kappe ergänzen die einzelnen Konzeptionen.

About the demands the respective target group just to will have , we special worth on the matches aerodynamics the [canopy] putting. So became [for example] 3 various people profiles just , the on the respective inset - purpose exact adjusted are. [center of gravity], [angle of attack] and the distance to the respective [canopy] supplement(??) the individuals Konzeptionen.

Wow. This is utterly useless.:|
Made with InterTran and [url "http://dict.leo.org/"]LEO English-German dictionary[/Url]

Here are the flight charecteristics translated by a computer "babelfish". not very helpful, but it apparently is fun to do rear riser turns on it.

FLIGHT CHARACTERISTICS: The X Wing flies fast, fullly and very elegantly. The kurvenverhalten is typical for such a span: the cap has a relatively large turning radius. This proved however as extremely positive, since this screen develops a high potential at Kurvenbescheunigung. FR curves are rather steep and the dipping behavior are pronounced. The Flare is dementspechend long and the lift against Flare end of in subject convincingly. The stable at the X is soft and announces themselves early. With Toggleturns it is in the comparison less agil, (turning circle) however who it gladly correctly radically likes, should itself do times a REAR Riser turn. An absolutely ingenious flight maneuver, which goes off correctly only with the X. Since the screen is laid out as good gliders, brings Backriser fly rather few. We could obtain the best results by means of 1/4 brake. Tries out it simply.
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

I did about 20-30 jumps on an 105 X-Wing, and have been to the factory in Germany. Also there was one or two at the DZ for a year or so, soi I watched a lot of landings. Openings are generally OK, but has to be packed like an X-brace (no tail rolling, slider well esposed to relative wind etc.).

It is not crossbraced, but has some triangle reinforcement at the mouth, with nose inlets slightly closed.

The manufacturer called it the best flying parachute and claimed that even with the small size you will make it form long spots. In brakes it flew reasonably well, but otherwise sunk. Really crap toggle turns, and to make it turn a bit faster you need to use back risers. Feels much bigger than its size and is very stable, but feels very awkward in flight, like riding a ferry instead of a motor boat. Couldn't dial the landings in at all, even after few jumps. Seems to have little bottom end lift. One very experienced guy was loading it really heavily and was coming in like a bomb, with reasonably long swoop, but again little botom end lift. Also had to cut away a line twist.

Overall, I can't see a single reason to buy this canopy.

M.

Hi

i´m a x-wing pilot for a long time (exact 2,5 Years and aprox. 900 jumps on it; X-Wing 105 and now 85)

The X-wing is not x-braced, and the packjop is like shaking a cocktail.
no sort of lines and nose, just shake, put the slider in the middle , pick up the tail and put it on the floor. my fastest packjob was 2 minutes and 45 seconds. (Brakes set and slide up)

the openings are very soft and in 90% in heading.
a lose brake or a line twist is absolutly no problem.
no cutaway with this canopy.
toogle turns are wide and smooth,( thats because of the ratio of this wing- the 85 is 5 meters wide) front riser turns are deep and fast with a very wide recovery arc, you must start a hookturn at a very high altitude, but a hook is not recommended for that canopy, the best way to start a very long swoop is a 360° Carv dive with the frontrisers. sometimes i´m still in the diveloops when my foot surfe the gras :-)

another very radical maneuver is a real barrel roll.
yes, like a plane.
ok ,the lines getting very lose, and after the roll maybe half of the canopy is collapsed, but that´s no problem, just pull the brakes.

this canopy is doing what you want, nothing more nothing less.
But aware, the 85 is nothing for rookie pilots.
the Stallpoint is very small and comes very quick.
the best way to avoid are tripple risers.

I like my stress free X-Wing.
oh, i forget, to compare it with other brands you have to pay attention on that Paratec measure the top of the canopy.
a 85 x-wing is like a 69 FX or a 71 Velocity
and the wingloading is best in the 1.9 to 2.4 range.

(my is 2.7)

F.
provehito in altum

well you have to make it clicky

[url]www.paratec.de[url]

in the moment it is in German, because the site is under a reconstruction.

well that sucks i don't speak german damnit[:/]

but from the pics, it looks like a stilletto.

the fandango looks cooler because of the nose, kinda like a comp cobalt.

later

Hi

no the X-Wing isn´t a stilleto in any kind.
the x-wing is not elyptical.
the x-wing is not comparable with any other chute on the market.

maybe the fandango looks a little bit like the cobalt but also these two chutes are not comparable.
Paratec built no elyptical parachutes.
and the fandango´s first roll out was 1995.
provehito in altum

Hi

Paratec build no elliptical sport Chute till today, because of some disadvantages of these elliptical´s.

when a brake fires in opening, what do you get,
a fast spinning elliptical, line twists and maybe a cut away.
on my 85 x-wing for example, a fired brake is a piece of cake, just lay your body to the opposite side and the chute fly´s straight forward.

what happened when you perform a toggle turn, an elliptical will further shift a few degrees.

what do you expect from a parachute?
wild, fast turns , a higher risk for malfunctions, the chute do sometimes not that what he shall
then turn to an elliptical like a stilleto, nitro(n) etc.

what i want from a chute is: nice, stress free openings
deep diving when i want it, bring me home from a long spot and
a very long swoop.
oh and i forget, a very nice price-performance payoff.

blues

F.
provehito in altum

"what i want from a chute is: nice, stress free openings
deep diving when i want it, bring me home from a long spot and
a very long swoop.
oh and i forget, a very nice price-performance payoff. "

all of which a good design elliptical can do better than any square.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)