grue

Well, I did my first intentional downwinder with the new canopy

All I can say is "fucking quick" ;)

This was a straight in approach, not a swoop, with a mild breeze (2-3 knots or so)

Actually managed to tear my shoe (right down the middle of the outside, I have no idea how that happens) while bleeding off speed somehow, which is annoying, but the conditions were right for practicing it, so I went for it.

I'm not sure if it counts as a standup landing or not... when my shoe tore, I slid on my thigh for a second before I popped myself up and came to a stop a few couple later. What do you guys think? :D:D
cavete terrae.

All I can say is "fucking quick" ;)

Actually managed to tear my shoe while bleeding off speed, which is annoying, but the conditions were right for practicing it, so I went for it.

I'm not sure if it counts as a standup landing or not... when my shoe tore, I slid on my thigh for a second before I popped myself up and came to a stop a few couple later. What do you guys think? :D:D

All I can say is WOW !!! :D

:|

If the details in your profile are correct?

I highly recommend you purchase a different canopy and begin the correct progression if you want to start swooping.

I could have killed myself being in a similar situation as you,(bored with my big slow canopy and want to go faster)but got away with a mild fracture in my spinal coulmn, but the nurse did put a tube up my penis and poke her finger up may ass. now you don't want that now do you;)

When you play with high speed landings on a large lightly loaded canopy the marigin for error is too little.

please be safe, and look forward to having a better/more appropriate canopy for what you want than trying to make a canopy do something it was never intended to do.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

This wasn't a swoop, just a straight in approach. I'll edit the first post to reflect that.

I'm just wanting to know how it's going to behave in a given scenario. I figure rather than HAVING to downwind it someday, possibly in less than ideal conditions, without knowing how it's going to fly, I'd rather practice it in a controlled environment, or close to it (I settled for the student area, with a 2-3 knot downwind)

I'm sure I'll eventually start swooping, but for now it's just a matter of canopy familiarity.

(Incidentally, what's wrong with my canopy for when I DO want to start??)
cavete terrae.

I'm sorry for mis-understanding your actions.

There is nothing wrong with a fusion for beginning swooping. I was pointing out that it is a bad idea to use a downwinder for the purpose of going faster if you aren't getting what you want out of a canopy.

Doing a downwinder in a controlled/safe environmet to see how the canopy reacts before having to deal with it in an unforseen circumstance is a good idea. Just don't do it for fun. If you want more speed there are safer ways to go about it.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I'm sorry for mis-understanding your actions.

There is nothing wrong with a fusion for beginning swooping. I was pointing out that it is a bad idea to use a downwinder for the purpose of going faster if you aren't getting what you want out of a canopy.

Doing a downwinder in a controlled/safe environmet to see how the canopy reacts before having to deal with it in an unforseen circumstance is a good idea. Just don't do it for fun. If you want more speed there are safer ways to go about it.

Ok, gotcha.

Yeah, it wasn't just a shits and giggles thing. I doubt I'll do it again unless I "need" to, which hopefully won't happen... I hate buying shoes. :D
cavete terrae.

i on the other hand would encourage anyone to land downwind and sidewind, with any canopy (big lightly loaded, small high loaded...)

Of course only when your upwind landings are really good, and not with strong wind on first try.

Not to lenghten your swoop, but to avoid having the "tunnel vision thought" of: I always have to land upwind. And then one day you're low and you turn upwind only to meet the ground too early and break a bone or two :S While just continuing down wind would end up in just a longer swoop.

A lot of swooping is done in your head (thinking) and this is one of the practices where you "free your mind" of one type of deathtrap.. sort of.
"George just lucky i guess!"

i on the other hand would encourage anyone to land downwind and sidewind, with any canopy (big lightly loaded, small high loaded...)

Of course only when your upwind landings are really good, and not with strong wind on first try.

Totally agreed. Downwind and crosswind landings are excellent skills to practice in semi-controlled conditions before having to do them off-DZ, in someones back yard, between the porch and the swingset.

I started my weekend off this past weekend with a downwinder due to extra drift from the uppers. I try to sneak one in every now and then when traffic and wind conditions permit... usually on hop & pops where there's nobody to try and follow me in.

but the nurse did put a tube up my penis and poke her finger up may ass. now you don't want that now do you;)

hmmmmm the tube in the penis thing...not so much

that shit hurts like hell

abort grue abort....

dude...just be careful and get yourself a local mentor...

I am not saying you arent doing the right thing...just remember those guys that are local that know what they are doing can help you a lot more than we can from our desks...

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Since I'm competing in the CPC this year, I decided to try a downwinder to practice my sliding in on my butt - never done it before (I know... beer). It was 15 gusting to 20, so it was a pretty strong wind. Hop n pop, no other canopies in the pattern or landing area. I've done quite a few downwinders in the past, but nothing near this strong.

This was a HUGE learning experience, to say the least. It's been a while since I've learned so much in a single swoop. I agree that everybody wanting to improve their canopy skills should try a downwinder in a controlled environment. What did I learn?

Setting up for a 270, the wind is a crosswind. This push put me much closer to the gates than I estimated. Although my upwind setups are pretty good, I definitely need more experience/practice with downwind setups.

The downwind push seems to make verticle error even more pronounced. 10' too high, translates into ALOT of horizontal distance. I almost ran out of landing area. 10' too low, and we all know what the extra speed would do on impact. :( The 'window' for a good swoop is greatly reduced - the setup better be perfect.

Sight picture is different. Downwind requires more rear riser and toggle input, I assume because the airspeed is reduced. These are my perceptions anyway.

Just wanted to share my support for grue and my new experience as well. Advice and comments welcome.

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Sight picture is different. Downwind requires more rear riser and toggle input, I assume because the airspeed is reduced. These are my perceptions anyway.

Hey Jeff. Just wanted to let you know that it was your perceptions that were tricking you. When done correctly either into the wind or downwind require no additional toggle input than normal to level the canopy. Often the pilots interpretation of the way the ground is moving by (or not) skews that perception.

edit: Im toying with the idea of hitting up Lake Wales for the CPC event as practice so while I might be as uncurrent as all hell and flying like a floating piece of ass, I'd be happy to talk with you about this stuff :D

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

edit: Im toying with the idea of hitting up Lake Wales for the CPC event as practice so while I might be as uncurrent as all hell and flying like a floating piece of ass, I'd be happy to talk with you about this stuff :D

Hell yeah! If you're there, I'll definitely take you up on that. Maybe I'll see you sooner (Sebastion this weekend?)

Anyway, I knew the canopy recovery arc is the same, regardless of wind, and now that you mention it, what you're saying makes complete sense. Wierd getting used to the 'illusions' when swooping different conditions! :D

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Feb 24 Lake Wales, Florida

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I'll come down :)

damn step daugters birthday party

whens the next florida league???

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.