grue

Swoopers: What is the purpose of the... (I don't know what you'd call it!)

I've been watching a lot of swoop videos, and I'm seeing a lot of guys doing what appears to be a fast toggle stroke after they get off the rear risers.

What's the purpose of this?

It is over-reaction as a result of excess adrenalin, aka fear.

CANOPY COURSE Video Training with Brian Germain at AdventureWisdom.com

I've been watching a lot of swoop videos, and I'm seeing a lot of guys doing what appears to be a fast toggle stroke after they get off the rear risers.

What's the purpose of this?

It is over-reaction as a result of excess adrenalin, aka fear.

Opps. Quick apology:

I thought I was logged in as Me (Brian Germain), but I was on someone else’s computer.

This was from me, not from “BlueFox”.

Sorry.

But I still think it is mostly excess adrenalin…
+
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

+

Or holding way too long in rears, resulting in having to have a longer toggle stroke to transition from deep rears to toggles.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

+

Or holding way too long in rears, resulting in having to have a longer toggle stroke to transition from deep rears to toggles.

yup, I agree, staying in your rears too long causes this.

+

Also true. There are actually several more possibilities than just excess energy in the body, of course. (I know this one because I have done it myself: Hanging on the rears with too much energy for too long, then being forced to jam a bit of toggles to prevent the canopy surging into the ground at the end of the swoop.)

Another possibility is, by gaining altitude during a down-wind swoop, popping up (as Chuck Blue mentioned) will allow you to stay in the air longer, which results in a longer swoop. The wind carries you further down-range, as opposed to your airspeed on a swoop involving no assistance from the atmosphere.

Another possibility is that the swoopers in question need to practice the transition a bit more at altitude. Remember, changing canopies requires re-practicing every aspect of your flight. If the toggles on the new canopy are longer than your old one, for instance, (more slack in the brakes), you may find yourself sinking while switching from rears to brakes.

Many possibilities...all in need of consideration.
+
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Another possibility is, by gaining altitude during a down-wind swoop, popping up (as Chuck Blue mentioned) will allow you to stay in the air longer, which results in a longer swoop. The wind carries you further down-range, as opposed to your airspeed on a swoop involving no assistance from the atmosphere.

just to add to this a bit.

if you pop up, downwind, your likely, or at least you should be, out of your rears. as you hit the "apex" "top of the hill" "top of the pop up", get into your toggles, not your rears. then just ride the wind.:)

if you pop up, downwind, your likely, or at least you should be, out of your rears. as you hit the "apex" "top of the hill" "top of the pop up", get into your toggles, not your rears. then just ride the wind.

So for upwind-landings on a distance-run the "pop up-technique" is the wrong strategy?

So for upwind-landings on a distance-run the "pop up-technique" is the wrong strategy?

Can you throw a football, or kick a soccer ball, further into the wind if you throw it or kick it really high? or more of line drive pass or kick?
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Can you throw a football, or kick a soccer ball, further into the wind if you throw it or kick it really high? or more of line drive pass or kick?

think trajectory.

what up stu, you have fun down there in florida? I was changing jobs so I missed it.

what up stu, you have fun down there in florida? I was changing jobs so I missed it.

yeah dude, it was good seeing everyone and the comp was run very well. the organizing was some of the best i've been a part of, hopefully you'll be able to be part of the next one. plus i got out of the 35 degree weather of the NW and into the 85 degree weather of the SE.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

think trajectory.

Welllll in terms of a driven ball, he's correct. I was the captain of my uni's soccer team, and whenever I'd be kicking into the wind, I'd do a drop kick instead of a punt. It doesn't give my forwards as much time to set up for the ball, but it actually gets to them into a headwind.

That having been said, I haven't swooped a soccer ball yet, so I can't promise it's an apt analogy.
cavete terrae.