dzjmg

Beginner Canopy Size

My quest for my first rig continues . . .

I'm currently looking at a Triathlon 160.

I have 35 jumps all on a student 220. Is this too much a step down?

I weigh about 155 so it is less than 1:1 loading, but I've heard stories about new jumpers taking trips to the hospital after downsizing too much.

I have no problem standing up my landings, but that was with a 220. Advice?
Jay

155 + 25 pounds of gear = 180. 180/160 =1.12:1 wingloading.

Its not that bad of a choice for a first canopy. A 175 would be a better choice. The big thing to do it not make such a large step right away. Grab a 210 canopy and put some jumps on it. Learn how it flies and make sure you know how to do the BillVon Canopy Tests™;) Basically know how to flat turn, riser turn, the flare points, stall points, how it handels riser pressure and at that loading try a rear riser flare after getting coaching on how its done. Then grab a 190 for a dozen jumps while learning the same things on that canopy. Learn accuracy and the BillVon Canopy Test again on this size. Once you learn about it try a 170 canopy. Do all the above on this size also. By this point you've probally got 25 or more jumps from when you started. If going down in size at any time feels too fast go back up and only go smaller if you are ready for it in the future.

Be safe, go slow. :)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have the same exit weight as you. My first non-student gear (jump 35) owned is a Triathlon 160 Hybrid. It all depends on your canopy skills. If you've test jumped the canopy and can land it and land off DZ with it, you'll be alright.

At your wingloading you may not make it back on a long spot. First jumps on it I thought it was a really quick responsive canopy. After 200-300 jumps I was ready to move up to something else.

Everything I liked about it became everything I dis-liked about it after 300 jumps.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

You might want to look at doing a couple of demo jumps on a size between. I rented a main that barely fit my container until I felt ready to try my smaller main. Once you get the new main, try doing a 13,500 hop & pop for more experience before your first landing (it can be loads of fun too!).:P

Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

>I'm currently looking at a Triathlon 160.
>I have 35 jumps all on a student 220. Is this too much a step down?

Not as long as you make some jumps on an intermediate canopy. A Spectre/Tri 190, a Sabre I 190 etc would be good choices. You should be able to borrow such a canopy for a weekend of jumping pretty easily - if nothing else you can get a demo from PD.

on my 21st jump i went from a falcon 235 to a sabre 150 with an exit weight of 170 and i did just fine it all depends on your abilities. just know this - first jump on the smaller canopy try to hit the peas and plf rather than try to stand up a landing on the solid frozen ground.

"the sweet just aint as sweet without the bitter "

>and i did just fine it all depends on your abilities

And luck. Some people love the increase in speed, others hate it and the most dangerous group are the ones that don't realize just how much faster things are happening untill they get low. If you can't stand up a canopy then you don't need to be jumping it.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I weighed 170 without gear on my first rig. I bought a 170 spectre. Loved it. Don't screw yourself. You can play it super safe and get a conopy 12 sizes too big or get a 1:1 and live with it. Get a 150. You can learn it. Or live to buy another day. I'm sick of people playing it too safe. I love listening to people who jump out of planes who are unwilling to then take a chance.

Demo, bro. Try it on a jump or two. Can you take it? No! Go bigger. Scary? Go smaller.

Don't kill yourslef. But if you REALLY want to play it safe...don't get in that plane in the first place.

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"

>I'm sick of people playing it too safe. I love listening to people who jump out of planes who are unwilling to then take a chance.

Some times jumping out is the max thrill they want to take and a parachute is just there to get them safely to the ground so they can do the freefall again. Other people are pilots and not just passengers. Big difference in the midset between these. And there is a difference in being safe while jumping and being dangerous and jumping.

Looking at your C number I know about when you got your licence since mine is close to it. How many friends have you known or seen hook them selfs in so far in the last 2 years? Have you taught any students? Have you had to take responcibility for anyone other then your self on a DZ? It becomes a different ballgame when you are no longer only in it for yourself.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Some times jumping out is the max thrill they want to take and a parachute is just there to get them safely to the ground so they can do the freefall again. Other people are pilots and not just passengers. Big difference in the midset between these. And there is a difference in being safe while jumping and being dangerous and jumping.

Looking at your C number I know about when you got your licence since mine is close to it. How many friends have you known or seen hook them selfs in so far in the last 2 years? Have you taught any students? Have you had to take responcibility for anyone other then your self on a DZ? It becomes a different ballgame when you are no longer only in it for yourself.

Eric, I couldn't have said it better myself. Not everyone eventually wants to compete head-to-head with J.C., Slaton, Butz, or Luigi. For some, the canopy is just there to get them safely and slowly to the ground so they can go freefall again.

Kris
"And others...well, have you hugged your elliptical today?":$
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™