MagicGuy

Front Risers and 360's

Hey guys,

I've been playing around a lot lately with my front risers up high (3000ft and above) and I've been having a lot of fun doing 360s on my front risers. Problem is, once I hit 360 degrees, the front riser gets so hard to hold down that I have to let it up.

The canopy I have is a Triathlon 160, loaded at about .8:1. I figure that may have something to do with it, but I was wondering if a different canopy will allow me to hold that spiral longer.

Thanks!

Problem is, once I hit 360 degrees, the front riser gets so hard to hold down that I have to let it up.

Fret not grasshopper, as this is normal. Every canopy (especially the bigger ones) load up. Keep doing this and start paying attention to how much altitude is lost. But remember to let the canopy recover by itself before you check the altitudes.

Of course at 75 jumps we don't want you doing this low to the ground, but there is no harm in playing with it up high. Good luck ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Every canopy builds up front riser pressure in a turn just as canuck said. With lighter wing loadings (WL) its much more obvious. Whats cool is that you are testing out whats out there and learning. Tri-s suck for swooping, but you can learn how to swoop on anything and you SHOULD learn how to swoop on a non swoop canopy to get the basics. What you are feeling is normal and of no concern at the moment. You know its there which is perfect. Work on your accuracy and flare and slowly progress into more aggressive landing patterns. The best course of action is to talk to a canopy coach and not listen to us morons who always look towards what we feel like whining about, and talk to the people who are speaking to you, that have actually seen you fly and can help you individually with your progression.

Asking advice about such subjective things online is stupid, simply becuase everyone has a different method that is as equally as good. Find your coach and stick with them. Maybe you are the perfect example foe being different...... A canopy coach can and will help you a with those questions!

here is my answer to the riser pressure

LONGER RISERS...

I start my turn with harness ( and by harness I mean that I am sideways under canopy when I start) add both risers offset offset more and then when riser pressure builds up I just fold my upper boddy over with arms at full extension so I am using my entire upper trunk as the pull down mechanism instead of the arms...

I jump 24's and I am 5'11"

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Us older fatter guys have the competitive edge of many more years of 12oz curls and rubbing it to create stronger and more toned arm muscles

Zap!

That kid is fifteen. We may have been rubbing it longer, but if I recall correctly, he should have us beat in frequency hands down (please excuse any one of the bad puns).

I think it's the harness input that gets me into it. I was trying it before by just pulling on both dive loops. After that I started putting some input into the harness.. kind of pulling myself up almost and towards the direction of the turn, and letting up on one of the dive loops. That got me into a real sweet 360.

Thanks Cacophony. That's what I've been doing. My accuracy is good, and my flares are really good. I've had one bad landing on the Tri after hitting turbulence at about 10 feet and not having any flare, landed right on my ass. But the only thing that sucks for me on this canopy is the fact that I'm so lightly loaded on it. If I have a bad spot on a windy day it's hard to make it back because I don't get much penetration. Same thing on a no wind day. So I've been working on taking that into effect when setting up my patterns.

Yeah, I don't do the 360s low. I stop at 2000 feet. I've been wanting to pull higher just so I can work on them. I have no intention on getting into swooping any time soon, but I have been having a blast working on riser stuff. I think that when I do have the skills to start swooping it will make the learning process a bit easier to have practiced the techniques a bit.

hahahahaaaaaa

He can probably switch hands and gain a stroke:ph34r::ph34r:

adn then on top of it unlike some of us will be able to turn left in the swoop off....man I hope Bowie officiates...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.