frost

VX vs Velo: 270 turn starting altitudes

Would be great to see a vid of someone loaded about the same on the same type of canopy doing the same type of turn and using the same tools (neptune) for comparison.

If I can get hold of it, I'll try to drag out some footage of me on a VX-114 at 2.54 at Perris earlier this year. I was initiating my 270 5-6 second turn from brakes at 750ft (using a combo of eyes and Neptune Audible), and coming out perfect...(Turn wise, if not exactly where I wanted to be vis a vis the gates!). :D

When I took this back to my cooler bonnie Scotland at sea-level, I was expecting to have to either bring down my initiation point, or speed up my rotation, to account for the differing density altitude. Whether because of the large wing, or the slightly heavier loading, I seem to be just fine with the same initiation point back here...wierdness...again, I'll try to get some ground video to back this up next weekend...(plus I'm still at the stage of my swooping life where I can't get enough of watching myself!) :P
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

For VX my ideal starting point is 500-550 feet, slow 5-6 second right hand 270 turn with some rear riser input to level it out at the last second.

wow...I think you man are doin' something wrong...
I start at 500ft for a 180turn under my katana 107 loaded 1.8....... and I have a good recovery arc and nice 180-200ft swoops..w/out havin' to plan too soon..
Andrea "Fast" Scaramuzza
http://www.fastsky.org

For VX my ideal starting point is 500-550 feet, slow 5-6 second right hand 270 turn with some rear riser input to level it out at the last second.

I start at 500ft for a 180turn under my katana 107 loaded 1.8....... and I have a good recovery arc and nice 180-200ft swoops..w/out havin' to plan too soon..

gee, thanks for your input
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

i think the katana will dive just as much as a vx.

there is a possibility that it dives more.:)

there is a possibility that it dives more.

In my experience with the two canopies, the Katana loaded at 2.1 had a longer dive then the VX loaded at 2.4.

YMMV.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

there is a possibility that it dives more.

In my experience with the two canopies, the Katana loaded at 2.1 had a longer dive then the VX loaded at 2.4.

YMMV.

is it not too much a 2.1 wingload for a katana, mine is loaded à 1.8 and I thought it was a good deal to have a good dive and still a good lift ?

If I Can't Have a JAVELIN, I'm not jumping !
Gravity is our only engine, Speed is our only friend.
Ils flottent, ils flottent tous en bas et bientot tu flotteras aussi

is it not too much a 2.1 wingload for a katana, mine is loaded à 1.8 and I thought it was a good deal to have a good dive and still a good lift ?

I personally felt like the Katana loaded at 2.1:1 was a bit overloaded. Others might like the canopy at that wingloading, I personally did not.

I jumped another one loaded at 1.8:1 and I thought it was a really great wingloading for the canopy. Good performance, best canopy in its class (comparing it to the same sized Mamba, Vengence, Stiletto, Crossfire2 and Cobalt).

What about Winds...........No One has mentioned what the winds are doing during these 500 ft 270's. I start my turns much higher on a no wind day than on a high wind day. I never stick with a standard height for all wind conditions. My 270 Hooks range from 500 feet on a smokin Windy Day to a 750 feet on a no wind / down wind day.

Is it possible that Frost is at a DZ that consistently has higher winds.

Altitude is also a factor. I noticed when I jumped in Tahoe or Montana that I needed to initiate my dives higher, or I'd be in the corner.

Lastly..........Why is anyone comparing a 180 turn to a 270 turn, to a 360+ degree turn. I thought we were talking about 270's at 500 feet?

Harry,

Wind speed has ZERO impact on turn altitude.

We can discuss the physics at the Farm when you guys are down, but I assure you it doesn't make one bit of difference to your turn height.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Ian, maybe people turn lower in high wind conditions because they don't like getting pushed back by the wind so they rush their turns?

That's probably one of the best insights I've heard in a while. Sometimes the obvious stares us hehe. I'm going to store that one away. My guess is that you're probably right on the money most of the time with that one. :)
I'll have to amend my prior post say: Wind speed has ZERO effect on the initiation altitude of a turn, assuming the same rotation speed.

Blues,
Ian

Harry,

We can discuss the physics at the Farm when you guys are down, but I assure you it doesn't make one bit of difference to your turn height.

Blues,
Ian

Provided you know how to keep your canopy diving I agree with you............You can get away with a lower turn in higher winds though.

I have a crossfire 2 loaded 1.51 lbs/sqft. i start my turn between 450 and 500 ft. i am guessing you should go a little higher. I put two short movies on www.skydivingmovies.com both are called "270 not that interesting"

one is 450ft the other is 470ft.

Harry,

Blues,
Ian

Provided you know how to keep your canopy diving I agree with you............You can get away with a lower turn in higher winds though.

it does not change the way the canopy dives either, although your perception of things is different, the actual physical properties are the same.

Harry,

Blues,
Ian

if you can get away with it in high winds, you can get away with it downwind/ crosswind/ or no wind..

it really has no effect. if you are coming to the farm, get ian to explain it to you, if he has trouble explaining it or you dont understand. come ask me and i will give it a shot.

I think Scott Miller has a great way of explaining it (and other concepts too).

I'm looking forward to taking his Essentials and Advanced classes again, especially to learn good ways to relay the information.

IMO, any instructor (licensed or not) teaching canopy flight in any way should take his course. There are a lot of old myths out there that are put to rest, as well as a healthy dose of good information that is well relayed and structured.

Blues,
Ian

MO, any instructor (licensed or not) teaching canopy flight in any way should take his course. There are a lot of old myths out there that are put to rest, as well as a healthy dose of good information that is well relayed and structured.

Yeah, I'm about tired of the bullshit about winds effecting your turning altitudes. I asked someone once "if you turn higher when facing into the wind, what about when you shoot a downwind course? Do you turn lower?" They "swooper" answered "no." When I asked why I got looked at like I pissed in his cheerios.

Wind is wind is wind. You're moving in the wind with the wind while flying your canopy. The wind has no effect on your canopy.

Your perception of what the canopy is doing in reference to the ground changes with different wind conditions, though. I think people believe that the canopy dives longer into the wind due to their visual reference. Think about it while I brake down my thoughts.

When you swoop in no winds you have the visual of the ground coming up to you as well as you moving across the ground. Its pretty easy to visualize your recovery arc as it arcs up and across the ground. Now in higher winds, lets say 15mph, you're not moving across the ground, but you still have the visual of the ground coming up. Your canopy is not diving more, your eyes are telling your brain that you are not moving forward across the ground in your recovery arc as you would in no wind.

Similarly a lot of people (non-jumpers) think that you go back up when you deploy your parachute...Its all perception. Perception is reality for people, even if its not founded in a shred of truth.

Your perception of what the canopy is doing in reference to the ground changes with different wind conditions, though.

I think that's the key phrase...Perception...

I often used to struggle to get this concept across when teaching Canopy Control to first-timers, but as soon as I started talking about perception, it seemed to be a lot easier. I also use the swimming in a current, and walking in a train scenario to varied effect. It's all about frames of reference, and our perceptions of them.

On an aside...I really enjoy swooping in high winds sometimes...It can be great fun to almost hover for a while B|
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

even though this is a clear HIJACK, its an interesting discussion. i will post a separate thread on this, ok?
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.