frost

VX vs Velo: 270 turn starting altitudes

For VX my ideal starting point is 500-550 feet, slow 5-6 second right hand 270 turn with some rear riser input to level it out at the last second.

How does Velocity compare? Given the same technique?

Thanks in advance
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

i would really try and bump that altitude up a little bit bro. for your loading and canopy choice you probably should be around the 700' area.

i don't have a lot of personal experience with velo's, but from watching and flying witht the guys on the PST they're usually starting higher than me. BUT most of them are doing their turns different then me too.

no matter what though, try and bump up your turn height on what ever you're flying.

PM me for questions, if you want.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

vx loaded at 2.1 i would turn from 550 ft. (really really fast) upo to 750 ft, (really really slow)

velo will dive a little more but i did about the same with it. same on the jvx also.

these are loadings of 2.1

if your loading a vx at 2.1 and turning slow at 550, your in the corner. probably way too much so.

you are probably turning alot faster than you think.

but then again, it is a 111, but still that seems low for a slow 270 turn.

Thanks guys. Would try it higher, of course, just wanted an initial point of reference.

550 or even 500 is not at all too low. In fact thats right on the money with that altitude, never in a corner... Turn lasts 5-6 seconds. I can do a fast one from 450, but 550 is just perfect. 750 is good for a semi fast 360, but way to high for a 270. Well may be REALLY slow 270 :)
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

well.. cant aurgue with a neptune. It doesnt lie, unlike human brain or eyes.

i can........i had a neptune that always told me i was lower than i was, now it had some other problems also, but once i sent it back and got another one it defintally told me i was turning higher......i never really used it for set up anyway, i just got it as a toy to see how high i was turning and all the other cool things it did........hell i sold it 2 months after i got it fixed because i was done with the toy.

good old eyes and alti 2 for me ;)

later

Mike isnt in the corner when he turns. Maybe elevations are making the difference.

I turn my VX 104 loaded between 2.4 and 2.5 between 500 quick and 650, pretty slow.

If anyone wants to see this unbelievable video of us not being in the corner, I'll dig some up.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I can do a fast one from 450

I struggle doing a fast one from 450 on a Stilleto loaded to 1.85.
(DZ is 5000ft AMSL)

Yup. I do my 180 on my Safire from the same height, if not a smidgen higher.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

If anyone wants to see this unbelievable video of us not being in the corner, I'll dig some up.

yes, I would like to see.

I can vouch for this as well...they are definately not in the corner at all...I think I start my 180 higher than they do, wierd...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

yes, I would like to see.

I can vouch for this as well...they are definately not in the corner at all...I think I start my 180 higher than they do, wierd...

Dave

not saying they are, I just would like to see the video of how fast they are turning. they say it is slow, well i highly doubt that. im sure if they are that low, and loaded that heavey they are turning alot faster than they think. or they got a few techniques they might pick up about the turn.

i'm very keen to see that vid footage.
please post it soon.
if i do a slow 270 (velo 90) i can use up 900 ft or more.
on my fx 93 550 ft is a fast whip around and real scary so i'm very interested ... please post
People dont care how much you know until they know how much you care.

where are you guys located? MSL-wise? I am sure thats where the key is. Ranch is about 300 ft MSL

I reviewed a few tapes from my camera and accoring to tape counter an average 270 degree turn from 500-550 feet took me 5 seconds to complete. I'll try to transfer it to my PC tonight.

Instruments dont lie. Lets not get into aurguments about neptune/camera lying and human eyes being reliable.

it also depends on how you guys are measuring the time. is it from the time you start your turn till the time you're on heading? is from when you start till you enter the gates? that all makes a difference too. are you using just harness?

i'm also at sea level and last year when i was flying my VX at 2.4 i was starting around 675' doing about a 5 second turn. that is, from the time i started until the time i got on heading, then i had about a 2.5-3.5 second roll-out until i entered the gates. i'm not saying that was the correct way to do it but i did post some pretty decent scores in the past with that type of turn.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

welll duh talk about difference from sea level...of course you cant start your turn as low as John and Mike...

So Johnny what altitude do you start your turn in Eloy, with an extra 1000 Ft (appx) from us ASL...

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

My normal 270 from 550 here I was doing from aobut 650 or a little lower out in eloy.

And I should have some video on skydiving movies (unless someone else can host a few seconds of useless video for a while) tomorrow.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

yeah man becouse your ass at sussex,and you already got tinanium.Clever boy.;)Thamn we going to have swoop pound soon if the rain won't stop.

someone else pickin on dave now............ouch......

DO NOT! ;)

So i uploaded 3 files to skydivingmovies.com. I dont know how long it takes to get them approved... but those who cared to see them can take a look later and search for these in the swooping section. One file was renamed swoop2_2.mpg, my user name is frost (this should help with locating them)

These are three jumps made on the same day. All turns were initiated at 510-530 feet, all lasted about 5 seconds, counting from initiation to being on heading.

All were FAR from being in the corner, perhaps even a bit high, like 10 feet. Not the slowest of turns but definitely what was claimed - 5 sec.

In retorspect, as usual, the original topic has mutated, several thread hijack attempts have been made but it's all good :)