MrJones

Looking for advice?

Love the freeflying but the excitment for me comes on approach. I am flying the Pilot 150 and am happy with the size. A friend borrowed my rig and got a great swoop with nothing more than a good 90.
I am not looking to downsize but would like to progress in the speed of my landings. Looking for a conservative approach to start swooping because I scared my self a few months back with a front riser turn on final that got me low.

I hope you all can offer some help..

NUR ZUM SPASS

A Pilot 150 loaded to 1.33 is plenty for you to handle right now.

Shimmel's right, no need to downsize. Start by ordering "The Parachute and It's Pilot" by Brian Germaine. Read that, he's the master.

Next: your profile says you live in LA, get in touch with Perris and find out if they still have a canopy school there. When i was out there last year i did the course with Clint Clawson and it helped my skills in a big way.

In the mean time you can start playing with your risers up high and out of the landing pattern. Do dedicated high altitude Hop and Pops. Climb on the double fronts, make your wing dive, do 90's, feel where the wind increases on your face and where it lays off. Learn how long your canopy dives for. etc, etc.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

what marks said...

and while you are at it get Brian Germain's Book, the Parachute and its Pilot and read it a few times...some of it wont really sink in for a few hundred jumps, but read it, it is worth it....

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

The advice to read Germain's book is good, but nothing, no amount of reading, will replace actual debreifed jumping and coaching. Argueably the best out there for this is Scott Miller, but there are many other qualified canopy pilots (esp out in the DZs on the left coast) that can help you along.

Get good coaching with video debriefs.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

the best advice i can gove is dont listen to people giving canopy coaching on the net. go get a real person that can work through a whole lot of material with you and show you the way from the ground up. i would suggest a professional coach. they will save you time, money, and maybe some metal.

the best advice i can gove is dont listen to people giving canopy coaching on the net. go get a real person that can work through a whole lot of material with you and show you the way from the ground up. i would suggest a professional coach. they will save you time, money, and maybe some metal.

DO you need to buy one of my very special edition Skyjunky shirts that says nothing but....

got titanium?©

or are you hypothetically speaking of metal you never got ;)

but what chachi said, nice call...get a real live coach...the computer cant video your landing and debrief you :-P well sometimes I debrief myself and sit in front of my computer, but hey thats another story :-P

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Greg come to Perris and get coaching from Clint or JC. You can also read Brian's book and try things up high. I highly recommend a neptune. Practice up high and get a feel for how much altitude you lose with a 90 carving front riser...

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

I believe he said is happy with the current size canopy and that he does not want to downsize.

I am not looking to downsize but would like to progress in the speed of my landings.

point being?
i told him to get coaching.