Dominik

Swooping with Crossfire

Let me jump your canopy next time you are at the ranch. Do a pull up!! I think you have been scratching records too long instead of jumping. We really need to get that sand out of your vagina. :P

And is your friend who went to a velo Matt? That kid is going to hurt himself.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Yeah John, I will totally let you jump it the next time I am up that way which might be this weekend depending on work on sunday.

Vee shall see, the difference between the 149 riser pressure and the 129 riser pressure is immense...

talk to you later.

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

if I was a little weakling I would say yes maybe I need to pump the iron...

but I can pull down the risers, it definately is higher/rips the skin of my fingers every time....

I can do the turns I want to do, but I remember the 149 being much lighter in the pressure

Cheers

Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

What risers were you using ie style, length?

I thought the pressure was kinda high when I used to fly xfires. Now that I went to VX's, xfire riser pressure is really light when I fly them. And yes I have flown a 129 and it felt really light.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Does your canopy have the original lines in place?

If you had it relined or it has been relined before you bought it, who did it?

Have your rigger get the trim specs from Para-Concepts and check it out. There might be something wrong. You want heavy riser pressure, jump mine.

I just got my XF119 and made 5 jumps on it.
I had Stiletto 135 before and I can definitely tell the difference:
Risers pressure is much higher. (Stiletto is a sweet canopy)
Bu hey I can pull it down and I can dive it. My fingers skin is still in place
;)
Live 2 Fly

That might be part of the problem, just a possibility.

'Trim Specs' are the trim specifications your canopy's lines should fall within to be in the correct configuration. It's just basically the lengths of your lines. Para-Concepts(815 434 6094) is the service center Icarus canopies uses on the east coast to perform any repairs or reline work.

Again, you might want a rigger to check your canopy out to make sure the lines are right. Hope this helps.

if I was a little weakling I would say yes maybe I need to pump the iron...

but I can pull down the risers, it definately is higher/rips the skin of my fingers every time....

I can do the turns I want to do, but I remember the 149 being much lighter in the pressure

Cheers

Dave

I put a set of gloves on yesterday and the problem was solved....

and that was when it was on 18" risers that I borrowed (since I borrwed a rig, it just worked out that way)

I need to find a set of 24's and see what those are like too....

CHeers

Dave

Last weekend I played with only using the A Line and the Crossfire turns like hell (I also added harness inputs) ... I think I must get used to it but it is a good way to avoid the high frontriser pressure ...
Anybody else has experience with this?

I recently bought a XF2 119 from the US and love the canopy.

So far I had only done single frontriser carve approaches to swoop.

However, when I did an advanced canopy control course, I found front riser pressure to be really high (I can pull a double front maybe 20 inches and then let one up a bit for a 90 lasting about 4-5 seconds before pressure gets too high). Using one FR only makes it way easier but speed buildup is lower.

Just last week I was jumping in Switzerland trying some mountainswooping and I just wouldn't be able to do more than one "low" run because I'd just not be able to pull those fronts down anymore, even when doing the brake-swing initiation.
I do a bit of climbing and can do at least 10 pullups, so I consider myself to not be a total sissy powerwise.

Since I got the Crossfire from the US off stock, I had planned to buy a custom one later if I'd be really happy with the canopy (Their production turnaround is 18 weeks...). Now, I know Icarus produces them in New Zealand, the US and Spain. How can I tell where mine was manufactured?

How about differences in quality between the different locations, as I've heard spanish qc and customer relations to be not quite top-rated. Experiences?
(My own so far; no 119 demoes available from any german dealer, just the recommendation to buy one "as there is a 30-day satisfaction garantee" - WTF? Do I sweat money?)

What linesets do they use? Mine has Kevlar/Vectran(?), not Microline.

I'm loading it 1.7, love it except for the massive fronts pressure.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

having been in this one earlier and now having flown the 119 at about the same and a 109 a bit higher, I woudl say this...

Braked approach...look, harness, double fronts, offset fronts, deeper double fronts to get on your line...

it will dive nice and get great swoops I swear...

oh and I moved to a Velo 103 and love it :-P

D

Learn to use harnes.
As lond as you use harnes correctly, you dont need to pull brakes or anything else.
I jumped some om them with 1.2 in wongload, and in swoops realy well! As lond as you use harnes:)
Blue skys and soft landings to all!

I do a bit of climbing and can do at least 10 pullups, so I consider myself to not be a total sissy powerwise.

This seems to be a coomon misconception.. You only need to be able to do one pullup and keep your self up for a while in order to be able to make the canopy dive as much as possible. It is not a matter of strength the way most people seem to think. After you have lifted your whole bodyweight suspended on the frontrisers it doesnt matter how much more power you have left since you will only be lifting your body up some more..

I also fly XF2 @ 1.7+ Heres a few swoops of mine. Not perfect though..had about 450 jumps at the time..

http://www.snapdrive.net/files/508472/swoop1_agk.avi

http://www.snapdrive.net/files/508472/swoop2_agk.avi

Personally I only use harness after I have started recovery and if I still need to steer the canopy.. Otherwise I do my turns with risers. I never found the XF2 riser pressure high. IMO its moreless medium. Sure it builds up in the end, but thats the way with most canopies..

>After you have lifted your whole bodyweight suspended on the frontrisers it
>doesnt matter how much more power you have left since you will only be lifting
>your body up some more..

Not quite.

1) You weigh more when you are turning.
2) Most people initiate their turn with a single front riser. So worst case you have to pull your bodyweight up with one hand. It is never quite this bad since the other three risers still carry some load even when one is being pulled down, but it's not like doing a pullup on a bar.

I'm not wondering about the swoops. I'm wondering about riser pressure. I get nice swoops out of it, I'm just wondering what's up with the advertised "light front riser pressure". If you just pull one FR down, yeah, that's easy, but you get less speed out of it.

As lond as you use harnes correctly, you dont need to pull brakes or anything else.

Would you please share the enlightenment as to how using the harness will lower front riser pressure?

The foward/backward leaning in the harness is in no way sufficient to build up enough speed for a long swoop...
When the canopy is going full speed, turns in the harness are the only option short of aborting the swoop with toggles... (no rears for me quite yet...)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...