Squeak

BT60 canopy

I'm looking at buying a canopy called BT60, anyone have any experience with it?
It will be my pre 2nd canopy and I have no info on it.
Is it high performance or medium? It's a 170^2 foot and would be be loaded at just under 1.1:1.
Any constructive comments appreciated
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

BT's used to be Parachute de France HP canopy back in the middle 90'. They are very hard on opening :S I know several people who are (or were) jumping them (1.2 to 1.6:1) and all of them acknoledge this point.
They don't have any retail value any more because of that... who wants to get slamded on every jump ?!?
You'd better think twice before getting one !
BTW, a BT60 should be a 160 ?!?
Try it, but try as well a springo 160 or electra 150 to 170 (whatever your aimed wingloading might be)
the Springo is HP whereas the electra is a sort of Saber, anyway at 1.1:1 you will probabely not notice a big performance difference.
The electra is probably easier to sell in those size (over 150), in France at least.
(I presume you're French, right?)

AL1

nope not french, Australian so hard opening eh, hmmm not too keen on the sound of that, well I'll keep looking :)thanks for the input:ph34r:

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>nope not french, Australian

funny that, I'm French and jumping ozzy stuff whereas you're an australian who's gona jump french... it's a small worl out there :P

have you tested a safire? the NZ made ones are pretty cheap down under...

AL1

I havn't jumped anything other than the student PA270, the biggest problem here in Perth is the lack of population. This leads to not a lot of skydivers, which in turn means not a lot of gear sold and 2nd hand gear is also rare.
I dont believe that anyone does demos here in perth either, if anyone knows different please let me know.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>I havn't jumped anything other than the student PA270

ouch, I suggest you check with your JM / DZO before getting anything as small as 170 !!! that's a huge step down from 270 !!!
anyway, I'm neither your JM nor DZO and I'm not gona tell you what to do :P

definitely forget about the BT... this is not for you right now :P

AL1

The BT 60 is a ZP 9 cell semi eliptical canopy of Parachute France with AR about 2.5 and flat glide ratio.
The design is old with leading edge without lip (one of the reasons for hard openings)
This canopy flying and landing good but are prone for hard opennings.

Roq

Does your dropzone have any other gear for you to rent? Is it the only dropzone available to you? I think it would really be a good idea to go through the sizes in a stepwise manner (270 to 230 to 210 to 190 to 170) before actually purchasing anything. My friend accidentally went from 260 to 210 in one step (the rig was on the wrong peg) and was a bit overwhelmed. Luckily, he landed fine, but he went right back up in size again. I think that a downsize from 270 to 170 in one shot would be petrifying and potentially very dangerous.

230- 170 is a big step. Try and see if there is'nt a 190 at least floating around that you can rey out for a few jumps. Also just don't assume a stand up landing means you know the canopy. Each down size get out and pull high. Put the canopy through its paces... learn how it flies, learn is stall point, learn how it flat turns and how it flares. You'll need to pull way higher then normal to get all this in on a jump. Do that for a few jumps on every new canopy you try out.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks Phree, thats my plan with all my jumps over the next 2 months pull high and play with the canopy.
The 2 JM's i respect at the DZ are both very experienced canopy pilots (6000 & 7000+ jumps) They have both done CRW display work and it's they 2 gents who will be getting anoyed by me as to canopy lessons.
We dont accutally have canopy courses here but with beer and praise I'm sure I can get them to teach me a few things.:)

My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?