jojo0815

correct rear riser usage???

well, i like to pull mine down, in the orientation that they were designd, just shorter.

some like to push them out, they argue that it makes the wing flatter, but in my opinion it is deforming the wing because your moving JUST the rears and not the fronts also...

many different ways work for many different folks, find one you like and stick with it.

any advice?

Yep, get consistent with EVERYTHING else before trying to do HP rear riser landings. Chances are you're hurting your landings more than you're helping them.

That aside, I prefer to pull out on my rears as it requires more input for less result - ie. It's harder to put in too much rear input.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

the reason I am asking is that I have been told to push/pull out is a bad thing. just wondering why....

I understand that using reasr on landings can be quite dangerous. I have been doing 90's for my last 200 ladings dialing in my sight picture and everything else. I am getting to the point where I get really decent speed out of them but using the toggles to keep my canopy from sinking kills so much forward drive. i have done at least 150 foot swoops or longer on my viper120 in about 12 knots of wind that way...

I agree with Ian when it comes to being consistent with all aspects of the landing, before moving to HP landings with rear risers.

As far as preference on which way to pull on the rear risers, mine ends up being a combination of out and back. More like 45 degrees toward the back. I think that's what I'm doing.

...dammit, I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about!
Jason Jerusalem
[email protected]

I pull out on my risers.

Think about the biomechanics of this. Its easier to hook your thumbs and pull back slightly and out then it is to pull straight down or push straight back.

I also pull out and back slightly.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i've tried it all: pull-out, pull-down, pull-back, push-inward, push foward, ect.

to me it just comes down to comfortability so i do a combination of down and out.

go up high and you'll see and feel the changes in canopy with the different types of input you do to rears.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I keep my toggles in my hand with my pinky middle and ring finger. I pull on the rears with my index finger and thumb.

That's how I pull on my front risers (sans thumb), but I just hook my thumbs in the rears for my rear risers. No index finger involved.

Toggles stay over my palm and my pinky and ring finger never open, locking my toggles in my hands

As a follow on to my how to hold toggles question.. how to you hold on to your rears when you pull on them?

Once again, I grab my dive loops with my first three fingers on both hands and hold my toggle in my palm with my pinkie. When I get my canopy straightened out and inline with the course and I have eased out of my front riser/risers, I simply move both arms straight back over my head and grab my rears as high as my reach will allow with those same three fingers. Once my fingers are around the front of the back risers I loop my thumbs around and prepare to tug outward. Once I am done with rears, I simply release them and leave my hands out to the side. Since I was pulling them outward, the action of releasing the rears allows them to pop back in while at the same time taking up the slack in the brake lines, thus, no "drop off".

i prefer hooking the rears with my thumbs and pulling out. i started out pulling down on them but tended to over apply them then having to go a little deep in the toggles after letting up killing some speed. pulling out seems smoother, just enough to trim the canopy flat. it also prevents me from feeling i have the option to dig out with them since its a weaker motion.
>

I simply release them and leave my hands out to the side. Since I was pulling them outward, the action of releasing the rears allows them to pop back in while at the same time taking up the slack in the brake lines, thus, no "drop off".

I think it would be worth mentioning that you're not flying with trips.

grab my dive loops with my first three fingers on both hands and hold my toggle in my palm with my pinkie

Well, you're a little guy with small hands. >:(:D:P

(if you don't believe me, we'll compare at Skyfest while drinking like vikings after swooping the ditch like crazed monkies!)