mfnren

canopy choice

Hey ya'll just like to ask some questions about my PD 190 9 cell. I'm loading it at about .95 to 1, and basically my question is what are it's performance capabilities?
I've practiced alot of flat turns, braked approaches etc and my accuracy is pretty good , usually w/in 5 m. I've also had some off field landings due to high winds but also found myself lower than expected.
I started practicing front riser landings about 20 jupms ago, starting to let up at about 100' 1st then working down, been getting some nice soft landings, not that I didn't before, and also a little plane out . And good accuracy.
What I'm wondering is will a older F-111 canopy plane out more , what are technique's to help?
I'm also thinking about going ZP, Maybe down to a saffire 2 169. It would be loaded just under 1.1 to 1. Thanks for the imput. mf-nren

ZP will plane out more then F111 because it lets less air go through it, thus having higher resistance to the incoming wind and producing more lift - stronger flare, and will plane out more.

the crossfire (or crossfire 2) is consideres a HIGH PERFORMANCE elliptical canopy, I wouldnt rush to that one with ~80 jumps .... nor many jumps after that, and by the way - the Crossfire really doesnt perform so well unless you load it at least at 1.4 (anyone knows better?), I would suggest going with a non elliptical ZP canopy as an upgrade to your PD190, you'll love the difference.
Be Simple, Be Creative, Bee!
Sharon.

mfnren was talking about Safire, not Crossfire. Safire has slightly tapered planform. It is a good step from PD. However, only instructor can say if he is ready for that downsize or not.
W/L 0.95 on a 190 means that he will have ~1.06 on a 170. It is still safe for a jumper with lots of perfect landing on a 190. Safire has a lot more flare power and with this W/L can make pretty long surf.
But again, only his instructor can tell if he is really ready.

Also consider the Sabre2 170 and Aerodyne's Pilot 170; test jump if you can!

As said earlier, you will get more lift on a ZP canopy than F-111, especially when the F-111 is gettting on a bit! (My PD 170 is getting a little old and doesn't flare too well either).

If you downsize, everything will happen faster. Don't do anything radical (like front riser landings) on something new and speak to an instructor before you buy/test jump anything. BTW - if you choose to downsize, are you happy to land off? Are you happy to land off on your current canopy?
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I got the chance to demo a sabre 2 at the wffc -- I currently jump a stiletto and was looking for a non-eliptical to try. That sabre 2 was very nice, good on heading openings,great control, and when you have the jumps numbers, makes a nice swoop.B|B|

My two cents

:P:P
"there's a fine line between hobby and mental illness"