skyjuggler

Sensei (Brian Germain)

After reading what Brian wrote, I'll take a stab in the dark and say it's still undetermined. I've seen some pretty horrible parachute incidents that were directly caused by the design of the parachute. The parachute was radical and fun up until it quit flying.

If the designer comes up with an "ok" design but it stays inflated in turbulence or under agressive front risers in put, it's still only... "OK".

Knowing the dedication Brian has in creating the swoop machine he's envisioned in that mind of his, I'd guess he's in no real hurry to put out an "OK" parachute. There are plenty of them already out there. With the current market of high performance canopies, its a pretty tall order to create something to out do the competition. That takes time and an open design freeze deadline.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I've seen some pretty horrible parachute incidents that were directly caused by the design of the parachute. The parachute was radical and fun up until it quit flying.

If the designer comes up with an "ok" design but it stays inflated in turbulence or under agressive front risers in put, it's still only... "OK".

Trust me, man....I understand that completely....I witnessed one such incident, and I was the pilot in another. I'm certainly not one to push anybody into releasing a design they feel is not sufficiently tested(especially since such an instance damn near killed me once)...just trying to get an idea as to when I may be able to try this "super swooper".

Mike

Here's a semi related question. If reducing drag is a high proirity (which is a great idea. It's like making racecars lighter instead of more powerful) what is your take on an RDS? Does it warrant the extra effort? Even if it was just in competition?

The Removable Deployment System can help reduce drag somewhat, but the difference is only noticible when everything else is done right. If you turn too low and have to dig out of the corner even just a bit, the induced drag due to the high angle of attack dwarfs any effects for an RDS, tight clothes or a close shave.

Most swoopers should focus on learning to fly a clean approach, rather than looking to reduce drag from the system. The piloting will always matter most.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Good 1.How do you rush "Perfection"!You Don't.Brian,I know from yrs ago than you have been thinking,working on this project.Some of the baby steps just take a long time.That's just the nature of R&D.Keep plugging away and the final solution will become aware to you!We will be waiting.

In the gaming world when a company is pressed for a possible timeline of when a new game will be done, they often say:

"It's done when it's done."

It does a good job of preventing any more questions.