clint

Combining BASE and Swooping together!! IDEAS??

IDEAS ANYONE?

Since BASE jumping is legal here and there is now that there is a DZ, I would like input on what kind of competition would you like to see!

We will be having some type of competition in the future. Not sure how soon but sometime this year.
It will combine Swooping and BASE jumping!

Some will not like the idea but oh well, that's life! But for others this will be a great opportunity to combine both sports! LEGALLY!!
They swooped the BASE jumpers in Norway but it cost so much just to get there and a ticket to Moab anywhere in the USA is under $400ish!

I would love to hear any ideas of how we can join the 2 sports together! There WILL be PRIZE MONEY!

DISTANCE/ACCURACY will be two of the rounds. Combining the distance of the swooper and the BASE jumper! We all know that you can swoop BASE canopies! You don't have to swoop them either, just pass through the gates and you will receive a score.

ACCURACY, well that's easy. Again combining the scores of your team and the lowest score wins.

ANyone can do this, you dont' have to be the best BASE jumper to do this either.

I have several other ideas but I really would like your input on this!
Again, some might not like the idea but.......

The possibilities are endless! This could be the start of a beautiful relationship!

Can't wait for the responces, good and bad!
Thanks,
Clint
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

It will be teams of 2. You dont need to BASE jump.
Actually it will be a team of 1 swooper and 1 BASE jumper.
The 3rd round is still up in the air!
I have it in my mind but just haven't written it down yet.
Clint MacBeth

It will be teams of 2. You dont need to BASE jump.
Actually it will be a team of 1 swooper and 1 BASE jumper.
The 3rd round is still up in the air!
I have it in my mind but just haven't written it down y

that sounds cool.

i still want to do a base jump though ;):)
later

Dudes Check it,

I was sitting on the toilet (thats were I get my best ideas) the other day, and was contiplating this very subject.:D I was thinking how sweet it would be for the combination of the two sports to merge into one beautiful union! (Sounds like a cheap chick novel... "As he thrust his purple headed warrior towards her mound of pudding love..."):$

Anyway's I was thinking along the lines of 4 rounds, and any of these could be interchangeable with the weather conditions.

Round 1: Distance
As you said earlier, add the distance of the two person team together for a final score. For the Swoopers It would have to be from the gates to the first point of contact. For the Base people I would suggest using the bigger wind blades so the base canopy's can get some score.

Round 2: Accuracy
For the swoopers use gates and an accuracy landing area with a "No Pass Line". You would get points for possibly hitting noodles after the gates, points for landing in the accuracy landing area, and then added points for a stand up landing. You would loose points for going out of the Accuracy landing area, and would loose all of your points for going past the "No Pass Line", therefore your base buddy has to support the team because of your measley performance.

Round 3: Distance / Accuracy
Make this round a combination of the two rounds. The gates would have to be at realistic points for the swoopers and the base people. This round will be challenging for the swoopers for the accuracy aspect, and for the base people for the distance aspect.

Round 4: Style (pronounced "Styley")
This round anything goes! There would have to be a panel of "impartial" judges making the calls.

Of course there would have to be rules about doing dangerous stuffB|, but I'm sure every one would be safe. These are just my thoughts on the entire thing. That's all I have to say about that.

Round 2: Accuracy
For the swoopers use gates and an accuracy landing area with a "No Pass Line". You would get points for possibly hitting noodles after the gates, points for landing in the accuracy landing area, and then added points for a stand up landing. You would loose points for going out of the Accuracy landing area, and would loose all of your points for going past the "No Pass Line", therefore your base buddy has to support the team because of your measley performance.

Round 3: Distance / Accuracy
Make this round a combination of the two rounds. The gates would have to be at realistic points for the swoopers and the base people. This round will be challenging for the swoopers for the accuracy aspect, and for the base people for the distance aspect.

It hink the BASE accuracy portion should invlolve a go n' throw from a short cliff and a huge talus, with windblades set up in a course down the talus. You get points for blades, and then more points for a DC on the tuffett.
There might also want to be a maximum wing loading of 1:1 on the BASE distance portion.
mh

Baton pass? Well something like that. Actually I was thinking of having a timed round. Meaning that the BASE jumper and the swooper had to land at the same time.

IE: Jumping off of a certain cliff takes a BASE jumper 45 sec to land and he has to time his jump with the swooper. They need to land at the same time. SO if the swooper takes 45 sec to land from 1000' the BASE jumper should jump when the swooper is at 1000'. The shortest time wins.

Bet you never thought of that round. It could work.
Any other ideas.
Clint MacBeth

How about a relay race?

This would require a large field on top of the cliff.

The swooper swoops through gates on top and then tags the BASE jumper who promptly runs off the cliff.
Running (excuse the pun) the two events sequentially will prolong audience attention and add excitement at the hand-off.
In other words, a hand-off makes for better television.
This challenges the swooper to be accurate at two points: the first gate and launch point.
The BASE jumper only has to be accurate at the bottom end.
To discourage dangerous landings, be hard-core about stand-up landings. For example, the swooper HAS to be standing when he tags the BASE jumper.

The team's final score would be a combination of time and landing accuracy with penalties for not standing up landings.

I like the thought but the swooper can't land on the top of the cliff, there is no room for it! Well there is but it would be very dangerous! I dont' think I would try it. You would have to see the cliffs to understand.

But I really like the thought!
Clint MacBeth