skygod7777

swoop ponds

what's up

i am considering going around with some friends this summer to dz's that have swoop ponds.

so what dz's do have ponds??

i can think of a few

perris
canton air sports
skydive spaceland
zhills
ASC

i know there are a lot more out there, so lets get a list together of what dz's do.

thanks

Skydive New England has the infamous "DogBone". I believe that it is 300 plus feet with 2 bowls at the end to carve out of. They have been having a redbull event there the past couple of years with the finals on Old Orchard Beach for a bunch of spectators. They are having another swooping event next year. Beautiful DZ with a kick ass vibe. Check it out, we would love to have you up there!!!

Skydive Oregon has a really nice swoop pond. It has been featured in a few articles this past year in Parachutist, plus I believe manbird posted a video of the carnage round from a swoop event there.
Kirk

If your going to stop there you might as well go up the road as well to Kapowsin....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

skydive the farm which will be opening this spring in georgia has two swoop ponds. One is 420'x220' and the other is 300'x200' they are both natural, beautiful and great for beginner swoopers!;)
Free Flight is the way of the future! Learn how and get on board the adventure train!!

Eloy has 3 count em 3 swoop ponds!!!!!!!!

Just played with those things at the boogie (though not nearly as well as some people there). Eloy's ponds are pretty cool. They're about as wide as the middle lane on Skydive Oregon's kickass pond (when lanes are set up), but the way they're laid out is really cool. When landing to the west, set up a little closer, clear the lip, and carve into a second pond. They're shaped like golf course ponds. Just watch out for rotors from that one damn tall bush that's five damn feet away. They need to get rid of that thing.

I love our pond at SDO. 200' x 60' and about three - four feet deep (has saved many an ass). Plus there's a ton of big flat grassy ground beyond and to the sides so that you can have uber-long or short-bailed-out swoops without worrying about losing an ankle.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

. Just watch out for rotors from that one damn tall bush that's five damn feet away. They need to get rid of that thing.

Durring construction when asked about removing all the brush and debris around the ponds Bryan Burke (S&TA, and rockstar of SDAZ) said "people need to be intimidated when they come over here, so it's staying"

I like the way Bryan thinks.

:ph34r:
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The swoop park at Eloy is set up fine for the people that really need to be landing there. The "obstacles" add to the beauty of the site

If anybody has read Burkes article in the 'Skyding' mag, (#270 p.28) he leaves no doubt that these are clearly among the intentions of his design concept.

I am surely not alone as a being a long-time admirer of Burks cerebral approach to canopy flying ergo: hp canopy piloting. This, 'Gryphon' truly is an esoteric challenge that is not intended to compete with other 'ponds.' I applaud this prototype concept as ground-breaking and look forward to advancements that will surely follow this idea. As a matter of fact in my humble opinion, his eclectic design does leave things to be desired -even as an master course. However, it will be a model for the future, -bet ya!

The Gryphon is only just a small oasis in a sea of ultra-nasty desert! The side run-offs are very narrow and there is essentially no end run-offs before hittting ultra-natsy desert. The ever-changing winds of spring/fall are often profound, blade placement will further add unnecessary hazzards to even the finest swoopers. Narrow is good, but it goes from narrow to never-land! There is no bail-out area except the main landing area... and its 'quite' a few feet away and only to the South.

Now comes that its little more than two feet deep. People seem to have opinions about how deep 'ponds' should be. I've seen enough splashes that leave me convinced that water will kill you no matter how deep it is. Of course, if it is being used properly then only the first few inches matter anyway (unlike sex) but after that catching a knee, it will immediately be dragged in as far as the force pushing it will allow! Has anyone measured their femur lately? (most will be about two feet long)

No this is surely not a course to be taken lightly, yes it has many hazzards but my point is that its placement (in the desert) it very problematic. Would anyone build a swoop 'park' in a parking lot? Burke talks about swooping city streets so maybe its not that far off?

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

It all depends on the purpose of the pond. Eloy's is definitely made as a toy for those who know what they're doing. The one we have at home doubles as both a playground and a safety net.

Eloy's "nasty desert" on either side of the pond makes for some kick ass visuals as you line yourself up between bushes and slip between them. I still have a bad habit of setting up too close, so, um... I got that visual a lot. Er...
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click