Layne

SLIDER TRIX

guys, i'm getting really sick every time i read a discussion about how to hold the slider down... maybe i'm just stupid and don't know a lot, but hey, that's the way i was born...
:S :S >:( :S :S

i have the old design of collapsing the slider, with this, ehm, i don't know what's it called, but there's a button through which the "kill-line" goes and as i pull it it collapses the slider... as i do that, i pull it down all the way down, loosen my chest strap all the way, and no matter what i do, the slider stays down... always...

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

***MAYBE IT HAS A COUPLE LOSS END

Is one of those loose ends the four inch hunk of zipper that stays with the slider? Does that thing just swing free as it rides down the lines? I've heard of slider kill-line tabs getting hung up in cascades, but a zipper sems like a much better device for screwing up your opening.

And seriously, relax with the all caps when you type, lets save the caps for special occasions.

Im kinda late here, but a while ago we disscused this.
You might wanna check a thread called Slider Secrets on this same forum. posted-Sept 12, 2003

What I posted might help.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
It's the size of the fight in the dog!"

guys, i'm getting really sick every time i read a discussion about how to hold the slider down... maybe i'm just stupid and don't know a lot, but hey, that's the way i was born...

i have the old design of collapsing the slider, with this, ehm, i don't know what's it called, but there's a button through which the "kill-line" goes and as i pull it it collapses the slider... as i do that, i pull it down all the way down, loosen my chest strap all the way, and no matter what i do, the slider stays down... always...

It depends on how big the slider is and how much the chest strap is loosened. I have had canopies where it stayed down and canoies where it wouldn't.

Derek

I dont know if you went to the old thread here we disscused this.
Read Below. It my help

Bad,Bad idea, you never know when that airbagin front of your face is going to pop open and........ Ouchhhhh!

Lazyfrog mentioned the bungee with a ball. Well ive been using that for more than five years and let me tell you, I think is the best and cheapest.

You can go to your nearest packing tent or any of those tarps arround your Dz if any, and steel one of those black bungees cords they use to tie them, ball is included. Get one in good conditions, please!

When you get it the thing should bee a loop with the ball at the end. You will carefully open your reserve flap, pass the bungee loop through, close the reserve flap. Thats all.

Now.... There are two ways of attaching your slider to the ball.

(1) You eather sew a little piece of pullup cord or binding tape to your slider. Can be the center front or the center back, (I dont even know where is mine) Loop a large rubberband tho the pice you just sew (Its exactly how you put the rubberbands on you
D-bag)

When you open and bring down the slider, roll it, roll it, roll it but remember to expose the rubberband and lock the Rband to your black ball. "Black Ball sounds nasty! but thats what it is!"
You got it!

(2) forget about putting the RBand to your slider and attach one RBand to anothe then to your B-B.
When you bring down the slider roll it, roll it, roll it and pass the RBand arround and lock it to the BB

Guys there are a lot of ways on stowing your slider, like I said Ive been using it for a long time and almost everyone at my DZ does, never had a problem, just make shure when you put the bungee to your reserve flap not to live it to tight that your flap will bend or too loose.

Check out few pics on how it ends up, with or with out the RBand, and how to loop the two rBands together.
Cant show you the slider cause Im packed.
It doesnt work on all containers!

WARNING- this is a home made product not ment for skydiving, use it at your own risk.

Once you try this there wont be anymore hellicopters following you, JeJe!

Safe swoops.
YM4

Thats pretty much what I use, except I just loop the rubberband under the black ball. I roll the slider and pull it down and loop the rubberband over the slider and back down over the blackball. That way you dont have to modify/sew to the slider. After about 10 jumps or so I have it down to about 10 seconds to stow the slider and let out my cheststrap.

I dont have my rig here but its just like yours except only one rubberband on the ball.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

If you see the first picture, thats one of the options and the one I use, I'm lazy and don't want to sew the slider either.

As I say above, I've been using this for a long time and I really works.

The Black Ball is a great idea...but....

Not all rigs will accept this sort of system. In fact, about the only rigs out there that will accept this mod is something like a Jav, with a narrow top reserve flap.

It won't work on well most back pinned rigs or on rigs with wide top flaps. Too bad, it's a nice mod.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Yea, thats true, its hard for other rigs. I have a friend thats got a Reflex and he sew a little tab to the binding behind the neck and putted the ball.

All the containers with that V shape flap should be good, just adjust the size of the bungee to the size of the Flap.

This got to be done very carefully and I know it wont be recommended by any manufacturer.

This mod. should be ok for most containers but unfortunately some wont be able to have it.

We are all responsable for what we do with our equipment. And should always ask a rigger about this mods.

Blues.

All the containers with that V shape flap should be good, just adjust the size of the bungee to the size of the Flap.

I've got an Infinity (true, it has a pretty wide "V" as "V"s go...) and I really couldn't get the mod to work well on it. It would always slip down just a bit (even when I tacked it in place) and made it hard to get to.

I then bartacked a ball to the tape right at the mid-line of the yoke. It worked better, but still wasn't as quick as using the velcro strip on my jumpsuit. JP (diablopilot) used to have a velcro strip sewn onto his rig (same as on a jumpsuit). It worked well, but I was never too fond of it because it was really long. Kind of a silly reason not to like it if it's functional, but it was enough for me.

I had a pair of risers with the tabs on them, and I think these work best of all, so I'll probably go back to them when I get over being lazy and do some more work on my gear. ;) They just add more bulk to the risers and mine are already pretty bulky. Being a career rigger does that to you...you fiddle with stuff to the point of being ridiculous sometimes...at least I do. Is that weird??? :P

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.

Are these magic tabs??? Do they come with a bag of beans???

They are magic in the sense that they keep the slider from getting in your way;) Beans not included. Check 'em out below,
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Actually, if you look back about three of my posts in this thread, I did mention that I'd had a set of risers with tabs on them...of course, I never said that I built them... :P

It was just your benevolent nature getting the best of you Lou! Thanks for looking out for me! ;):ph34r:

Well I just had them "installed" in my risers they even look nice lol:S wish me luck this weekend. I won't tell you how it went cause I'll be jumping my ass off at Eloy :D.
***Keep it fun, stay alive***
Safe swoops
Azul
Follow Orbita on Twitter @freeflyorbita

Yes there are removable sliders, but they are prone to malfunction. I don't know if companies are working on having them available for anything other than special request. This is NOT the kind of thing you want to use on every jump, just the same as a removable d-bag/bridal system.

Quite honestly most people aren't getting enough from their canopies as it is, adding other variables just increases the complication and preparation time.

For us "average folk" a collapsible slider system that we can pull behind our head is more than adequate.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Thanks, I'm definitely not looking for this article... Just wanted to know if it existed, or if it was some kind of homemade stuff, or if these guys jumped without any slider, or even if just the grommets would guarantee some kind of decent opening, as these swoopers might not always deploy at terminal velocity.
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

[QUOTE]slider must have been taken off, or maybe do they jump without slider [/QUOTE]

Jumping out of an airplane without a slider on your parachute is very dangerous, no matter how small of a delay you take. The aircraft is already exceeding speeds that would brutalize your body on opening.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...