blu

Packing tips

You can't go wrong with a psycho-pack on a new cross-braced canopy. I've used it on a new xaos21, 27, velocity, and fx with great success. The precision website has instructions with good pictures on it www.precison.net (I think). You can look up psycho-pack in a thread-search and get a ton of responses also.

I just got my new vx...are there any tips while packing?? cause it's turning on the opening thanx

mine used to do this. and as said above after about 50 or 75 jumps, it goes away. i think it's not really packing that does it, that it may be more of you while it's opening, and eventually you calm down in the harness, or what ever and it opens better.

later

I just got my new vx...are there any tips while packing?? cause it's turning on the opening thanx

mine used to do this. and as said above after about 50 or 75 jumps, it goes away. i think it's not really packing that does it, that it may be more of you while it's opening, and eventually you calm down in the harness, or what ever and it opens better.

later

you will notice after about 75 jumps the lines dont have that slickness to them any more... and they look a little "worn in" it seems that this may cause a little more friction on the slider grommets to hold the slider up a little longer.... i dont know... just a guess..

but most peaple ive talked to with a vx has said the same thing... weird openings even some hard ones untill about 75 jumps...

but the way that canopy swoops i could care less about how it opens...

but mine now opens great. ive got about 150-200 jumps on it...

you will notice after about 75 jumps the lines dont have that slickness to them any more... and they look a little "worn in" it seems that this may cause a little more friction on the slider grommets to hold the slider up a little longer.... i dont know... just a guess..

that's a good possibility. i've never really thought of it that way.

but the way that canopy swoops i could care less about how it opens...

that's what i've told a lot of people, i got the canopy because he swoops like a mother. and i don't care as much about the opening. although i used to have one that opened very hard, so i sent it back.

later

I don't know which lines vx has? is it vectran or spectra.
If it's vectran then what i'll say doesn't apply.

But if it's spectra, then after a few jumps lines get shorter. And i think some canopies are designed in a way, that only after a few jumps (around 50), the line set is as it should be, and only then it opens as it should.
"George just lucky i guess!"

I don't know which lines vx has? is it vectran or spectra.
If it's vectran then what i'll say doesn't apply.

there vectran, or most of them are. you can custom order them to be spectra. mine are vectran. and most people do get vectran on them.

But if it's spectra, then after a few jumps lines get shorter. And i think some canopies are designed in a way, that only after a few jumps (around 50), the line set is as it should be, and only then it opens as it should.

i'm not sure what canopies are designed this way, i know the cobalts are, but i don't know of any others for sure.

later

Some packing tips Iv'e found useful on X-brced canopies(I have 2-21's and 1-27);
Pull the center cel out and feather the other cells back deeper in the pack job, kinda stair stepped.
I pull the slider about 2" in front of the nose.
Make sure that the d-bag is centered in the rig if it's tight (mine is).
Put the bag straight in with the bridle on top, don't rotate it, makes for a clean stright up deployment.
Hope any or all of this helps.
As for the vectran lines being sticky, I'd say waxxy and don't think that's an issue.
one other thing, watch the horizon, concentrate on staying level in the harness.
Good luck!:)

Rolling the nose on any X-braced canopy is NOT a good idea!

Why? I have been experimenting with different pack jobs and rolling the nose, half and half, has actually worked out quite well. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this?

Wait until one side inflates completely before the other unrolls and you'll find yourself spun-up tighter than a drum and diving like a maniac.:S

Wait until one side inflates completely before the other unrolls and you'll find yourself spun-up tighter than a drum and diving like a maniac.

Obviously, it would be much more pronounced on a X-braced...but wouldn't this hold true for any canopy then?

well aside from crossbraced...and specifically talking about my crossfire 2... I can pack the absolut shit out of it and it is still on heading and sniveling... if you only saw how it went in the bag this past weekend... .....though when I rolled the nosed 4 in to 1 and then to the b lines... (yes it is a crossfire and yes I pulled way high for this one) I dupmed at 6 k and it litterally took about 20-25 seconds to get a full canopy at 2k... it wasnt "on heading" but only because all the way thru the snivel I was harness turning it back and forth to change my heading...

-yoshi

My FX did some funky things on opening when it was new, but it got a lot better after a bunch of jumps and after I learned how to pack it. I do a pro pack and then when it comes to the tail I just flip it around so the top skin is laying on my chest and then I just cross the two sides of the tail. I flip it back around and then lay it down. It's kind of like:

"Stop... Lay it Down... Flip it.... and... Reverse it"
Missy Elliot

With my VX witch only has about 35 jumps on it... I roll the tail like a stilletto. It works ok, but the vx still opens a little funky. Quite a bit faster than the FX, so I'm curious to find out how much it will settle down with more use... It fly's nice after it opens though.

I have put a roll in the nose of every packjob on my last three crossbraced canopies and have never experienced any of the horror you describe. wonderfully on-heading openings every time. You must not be holding your mouth right.

Chuck

Thanks alot Chuck.
Next time you come to H-Town, I'll pack one for ya;)!

I think my point is that.....I am not sure what my point is actually, other than I think it has a LOT to do with body position at pull time. I have not changed my "standing" portion of my packing technique since I first started pro packing (my then brand-new Excallibur) back in the late 80's. I don't get any different openings on my Velocity 79 with the nose straight than I do when I put one roll in it just to keep it under control. More important, I think, is keeping the nose in the middle of the packjob and making sure you coccoon the same amount of fabric around both the left and right sides before you S-fold (or roll it down like a sleeping bag like I do) into the D-bag. I have never chopped a crossbraced canopy. For that matter, I have never had one get more than two twists up on me before I was able to un-fuck myself. I don't think it's just me being lucky; I think it has more to do with my post-opening procedures. Two guys around here both had a rash of spinners and chops when they went to crossbraced canopies. They both swore it was the canopies, but when they both still had a chop after having their shit packed by the lead GK packer, I convinced them that they needed to be more careful at pull time. As far as I know, neither has chopped in over a year. It was two freefliers if you want to know. After flattening out after their head-down dives, they were rushing to deploy, then subsequently paying the price for their haste with sloppy throws.

Chuck