ParaShoot

Swoooping beam for gates

I was really pissed off about the result of (well willing) people judging the entry gates. So I was looking for an automatic system to avoid relying on a persons eye.

In a previous post I've asked about systems on the market for this. I found a few (like TAG Heuer) but very expensive. Therefore I've made one myself which we now use for local competitions.

The Gate Beam System is actually an accurate light sensor with a mirror on the other side. On one side the device is setup on a tripod and on the other side the mirror is placed (distance 40 - 50 feet). If you pass between the sensor and the mirror a loud horn goes off for about 3 sec. Minimum to pass is appr. 1" with 60 mph. Another sensor can make this ½" at 80 mph.

As back-up a video camera is placed above the mirror and looks to the white reflection plate under the sensor. On the white surface it's very clear visible if something passes the sensor or not. This is just to prove the people that when they didn't hear an alarm that they really didn't pass the sensor.

I'm glad this works very well. Now we simply put those two tripods up and we don't need a judge.

maybe im not understanding the system right (im trying :P) but what happens if someone slams into the gate that has it mounted on it?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

My local 7-11 has that same setup for their front gate entry. I always try to step over the beam to confuse the clerks.
At what height is the beam set to? Is it possible for a person to go over/under the beam, yet still qualify as an acceptable gate entry? Will lines trigger the alarm?

but what happens if someone slams into the gate that has it mounted on it?

Think 2 Poles you swoop between, not a gate used to keep the cattle behind the fence.

You place the mirror on one pole, and the beam on the other. Or in this instace, set up 2 tripods 20 feet apart and swoop between.

Don't hit the poles/tripods, it's all good.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

That's a kickass idea, but you really need it at the top of the entry gates, which is pretty high to be steady. When we do swoop club, the top of the blades is all you need to break (with even a foot) to count as entry. Windblades are somewhat forgiving if you hit them (rare, but happens), any setup that will hold that lightbeam/camcorder will have to be much sturdier, especially in windy conditions.
Keep us up to date, you may be onto something. You could also use three mirrors, which would keep your sensor mounted low. Doesn't help much with the video backup though.
Troy
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

For "distance" the height is 5 ft. For speed and LZA it's 10 ft. I think the IPC will reconsider the speed part so we'll see what height it'll be.

If you go under the beam you tough the ground so you've a "0" anyway.

So far with all the "inexperienced" swooopers we've had no problem with the tripods. They're 12 - 15 mtr apart so enough width to cross safely.