SkydiveNFlorida

How to get the most out of a canopy control class??.. .

Um, calm down, n stuff. First off, I don't want to argue with you here. I did not downsize from a 230, i downsized from a 190. When I went up there, Deland upsized me to a 230 for 3 whole jumps b4 I went back to the 190. Secondly, I am working on my approach, I am not doing a fast hook turn or anything, and i'm flying straight in time to land properly. I know that it is not the best way, and that is why i'm working on it. Third, yes, I am hoping to take that course, but Scott has not gotten back to me since his first reply, so I don't know if i'm going to get to take it then or not, but certainly i'm hoping so. Maybe he does suggest another canopy, i'm not gonna come crying here for support for jumping the 150. I'm gonna jump the damn thing regardless, because I like it, and i'm not gonna blame you or anyone else if something happens to me on it.

Thanks for your support.
Angela.

Maybe he does suggest another canopy, i'm not gonna come crying here for support for jumping the 150. I'm gonna jump the damn thing regardless, because I like it, and i'm not gonna blame you or anyone else if something happens to me on it.

If Scott or another expert recommended that you switch to a larger canopy, you would ignore their advice? Did I interpret your response correctly?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

This thread was not about what size gear I should jump, i've already decided on that and am not asking for anyones help as I don't want to be one of those people who asks and then does what they want, anyhow. I am jumping the 150, I like the canopy, it flies nicely. I feel safer in turbulence, too. I am working on buying gear within the next few weeks, and I like the 150 and that is what I plan to buy. I will do my best to learn to fly it without getting hurt, but it is my own problem if I do get hurt. I'm not asking for any tears, and if it happens, you can link this post to any memorial of mine on this site. I take full responsibility. So, yes, you did interpret that response correctly. End of subject.

Thanks.
Angela.

Here here - be safe skynflorida. Downsizing is not as cool as everyone makes it seem. Although in saying that, I'm a huge hipocrit with my Sabre 135 at 100 jumps loaded at 1.4ish. Luckily I made it through to the other side with only one landing that should've resulted in something alot worse.

You WILL make mistakes under canopy - everyone does. It just a matter of how forgiving your canopy is to you. A 150 at 1.1 may not be that bad, just be safe and conservative and you'll be okay.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I will do my best to learn to fly it without getting hurt, but it is my own problem if I do get hurt. I'm not asking for any tears, and if it happens, you can link this post to any memorial of mine on this site. I take full responsibility. So, yes, you did interpret that response correctly.

Just remember that your injuries or worse, if any, don't only affect you. They affect those around you and the sport in general. Not saying what you should or shouldn't jump - just saying that it's not only about you.

Just be safe, and listen to what Scott says. He may just have some good advice.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Now how's that for taking responsibility of one's own actions. ;) I recently downsized myself and am in a similar boat. If I mess up, I have only myself to blame. Be smart and be careful out there. I'll be doing my best to do the same. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

thx, all. I'm not trying to make the sport look bad, I plan on responsible piloting. I am just saying that i'm not asking for sympathy if something happens, and that this thread was not a request for an appropriate canopy size. I know the consequences of screwing up under canopy, just like I know the possible consequences of skydiving in general. I am an adult, and am able to make my own decisions, be they good or bad. I am not trying to be 'cool', I just happen to like fast... fast = fun, at least for me. I like the 150, it flies better, is a bit faster, though not by much, and I am comfortable with it. Thanks for everyones concern.

Canuck, yep, pretty much. good luck to you, too:)

Angela.

Never accused you of "crying" Angela. It still is a safety issue, plain and simple. There is no argument here from me, as you are licensed and know the risks, just like all of us. You havent been completely honest in some of your posts, and bordering on whining when responding to something you dont want to hear. I've seen the pattern before, and being at the DZ every day, I get the unhappy task of picking up the pieces when something goes wrong.
Many people that are now considered innovators in the sport surely got the same kind of feedback in their day, as they pushed the limits of their chosen discipline.
You know enough to obtain coaching from the best. You'll get more from Scott's course than you'll be able to absorb in the 5 jumps you'll be doing. The learning will continue long after your day is done with him, as you continue to apply different aspects of what you've learned.
It would be cool to see you competing in swoop competitions some day. It would not be cool to see you in shock, lips blue, bone exposed, waiting for Air One.
Check out the bios of the PD swoopers. Look at their canopy history.
Be safe, stay current, and have fun, just don't break your ass. If I remember correctly, it looks pretty good in a jumpsuit. Nuff said, see you in October.
:P

Whatever

I'm sorry you feel i'm whining, maybe you're just interpreting things wrong. I'm also not sure what i've been dishonest about, I certainly don't recall being dishonest. It isn't like I said i'm an amazing canopy pilot, or that i've got 50 jumps. So, rather than sitting her calling me a liar, why don't you post what you felt I was dishonest about. Maybe there was something that I was dishonest about or spoke around, but before being told i'm dishonest, i'd rather know what we're talking about.

Yes, i'm sure the course will benefit me greatly, and i'm excited about taking it. I appreciate your encouragement.

It would be cool to be a swooper some day. Thanks for your concern, i'll try to be careful.

c u soon.
Angela.

I think what some people are rather delicately trying to point out is that you have a newbie mentality when it comes to downsizing. I'm a newbie myself, with 87 jumps and just over a year's experience in the sport. Very early on, I kept hearing the things I wanted to hear from people (whether that's what they were trying to tell me or not). I was "a natural" who showed more progress than many and "got it." Thankfully a dear friend of mine and one of my mentors listened to the things I was saying and intervened - trying to make me see the flaws in my perception.

Think about some of the things she had me think about: Have you had to land in high winds, no winds, cross wind, and down wind yet? Have you had to respond to someone cutting you off? What about going up on a load when the wind is going one way, only to see it's blowing 90 degrees the other way when you're coming in to land and everyone changed landing directions while you were setting up? What would you do? Do you have a plan yet? Have you practiced it to the point where it's become a reflex?

You need to be honest with yourself - have you "wrung out" your canopy, really flying it and do you know how it will respond in any situation, or is it still flying you?

Unfortunately I've witnessed a canopy collision that resulted in a fatality - the individuals involved were both experienced skydivers. You're still very new, and when it comes down to it, your learning curve could have an all too real effect on the people around you when you make a mistake. Are you willing to accept the tragic possibility that if you make a mistake while you're learning you could injure, paralyze or kill someone? What's it worth to you to push the limits beyond your ability in the name of living fast?

I hope you get a lot out of the class, but I would offer you one of the best pieces of advice I've been given - take a step back, slow down, really think about what you're saying, and if you have any doubt whatsoever, hold off long enough to truly understand every aspect of the decision you're about to make.

I will do my best to learn to fly it without getting hurt, but it is my own problem if I do get hurt. I'm not asking for any tears, and if it happens, you can link this post to any memorial of mine on this site. I take full responsibility.

Alright ... I know you're getting pretty pissed already, but I only want to point one thing out with those statements. You fail to realize that you CAN actually KILL someone ELSE other than YOU by making a mistake. If you're flying faster than you can think, and you wrap someone and KILL them, how are you going to feel? Was it worth that need for speed you have? Please just think about other people ... I personally will stay away if I know you're near, no offense to you, but I'm thinking of ME on that one.

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

I like the 150 and that is what I plan to buy. I will do my best to learn to fly it without getting hurt, but it is my own problem if I do get hurt.

I had 650+ jumps when I started flying a Safire 149 (due to measuring differences it was effectively a 135). I'd been jumping Sabre, Silhouette and Spectre 150's so I figured I'd be fine.

60 jumps later I'd blown out two discs in my back, primarily because I couldn't land that canopy (I don't call sliding and rolling through the landing area "landing").

I upsized to a 170 when I finally got back in the air after having three vertebrae fused.

If you can land the 150 you're jumping now standing up in no wind then I'd say that's probably the size you need. If you can't but you can with the 170 then that might be a better choice for you.

Regardless, if Scott gives you a canopy type and size recommendation after working with you - listen. He knows WTF he's talking about.

End of subject.

Oh, well in that case.... good luck.

Hey Angela, me again...

Congrats on getting in on the class. Just remember, don't try to impress him!! You can't and you won't, just do your thing and be open for whatever the outcome is...:)
You'll be fine!; you're paying him the big bucks and he's gonna shoot from the hip... don't duck!
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

Eloquent, dude. Hit the nail on the head. Frightening and clueless, yes? There's no faking it in the air.
There was a guy about 3 yrs ago who hadnt jumped for a year, gained 20-30lbs and downsized. He had 2 jumps on his new canopy when he creamed in. Took care of him, got him breathing again & had him flown out to Halifax. Severe head trauma. Had him as my patient later that night in Surgical Intensive Care. Last I heard he was still in a nursing home, unable to wipe his own ass.
What the flock are these people thinking, dude?
I've got the whole gruesome incident on video. Remind me when you're at the DZ & I'll show it to you.

Whatever

Sarge, thanks for the tip, i'm definitely not trying to impress him with my awesome canopy skills, lol!

Everyone else, it is a 150sf canopy, it isn't a 120. I really don't see it as a big deal, It flies nice, lands good, and i'm comfortable with it. I'll see about making some jumps on a no wind day, they're few and far between, tho. I'll not get to the dz this wknd cuz i'm working, but i'll probably go to z-hills the following weekend and rent a canopy and make some jumps. I appreciate the concern, and i'm sorry that i'm not willing to upsize because of your comments, but i'm not. If I felt unsafe, then I would.

Sure, i'll take a look at the video, it'll show me what he did wrong.

Thx.
Angela.

That post was in response to Tamer, but your welcome to see the video too. Regarding your size choice....whatever. Just TRY to be safe. I may be doing some jumps with Scott on the 5th too. Perhaps we should take it to the roof & freefly a bit before starting the canopy stuff @ 5k....just know I'll be tracking my ass off to get away from ya before you dump:S

Whatever

Just curious about something. Even if I were flying the 170 rather than the 150, what would make you want to stay any closer to me? I mean, this kinda goes out to you and Tamer. I'm a new jumper, regardless of the size canopy i'm new at canopy ctrl, so why would you be any more likely to want to be around me come pull time or final if I were on a 170, than if i'm on a 150? There isn't really that much a difference. Also, I don't know about you all, but I try to stay away from other canopies in general, not just students or beginners. Everyone is a threat, not just me, not just students, but EVERYONE. Even if i'm more a thread because i'm new, i'm still just one of many threats out there. And, honestly, if I were any of you, i'd stay away from me regardless of what canopy I was jumping. Just my thoughts.

Sure, if ya wanna freefly i'll do that cuz I know you're experienced, but don't expect me to be good, lol! I can barely hold a sit, i'm workin' on it. And I certainly can't do anything but hold it. Can't move fwd, back, around. Just sit. I'd love to go with ya, tho. And, just as with any jump, i'll be tracking away from you come pull time as well. :)

Angela.

Even if I were flying the 170 rather than the 150.
There isn't really that much a difference.***

Yes there is...but u seem to enjoy it[150] so wtf you know it all,already...
sack the c.c.course[you don't need it..and happy hook turns...btw>:(
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

please put me out of my misery if that happens.

Seriously, you need to chill a bit. I'm very conservative, and the canopy is not an elliptical 120, it is a 150 square. So, please calm down. I'm sure i'll learn it just fine. Just because someone doesn't listen to you, doesn't mean they are doomed, and certainly you shouldn't be such a nasty person to them (me). I weigh a whoping 120lbs, i'm not even really loading this thing 1:1. I haven't done anything wrong downsizing to this canopy, my landings are fine, and I don't deserve a nasty you're gonna die reply from you.

Ok, cya around, assuming I am able to see after I plow into the ground with my zippy-do-da 150sf canopy.
Angela.

Why are you "rolling your eyes"? Please listen to these experienced people and even the other newbies that are sharing their experiences with you.

I've only got 130 jumps but 5 years in the sport. Two broken legs will do that to you. One was a tandem (I had 27 jumps, TM was my boyfriend), the other was a remotely hot landing at 86 jumps and I caught my toe. Neither jump was unusual, I wasn't doing anything radical, they just didn't go quite right. My loading was about 1:1.

While I was grounded with the 2nd break (that one required hardware), my friend was borrowing my rig so she could do back to back jumps. She and another jumper collided at about 100 feet, killing them both. My canopy still has their DNA on it which I get to look at every time I pack. Washing only does so much. I've been 20 feet from a pond swoop gone bad and did CPR on the guy before they pronounced him dead. I wont even go into the lesser injuries that I've been witness to or my other friends that have died.

There was a lot that came from those experiences. I was at the DZ every weekend while I was injured. Listening, watching, learning from mine and others experiences. There aren't words enough to explain what it took to get back in the air.

You pay a lot of lip service to being careful. You're not listening. Your "rolling eyes" are misplaced. I have never heard an experienced jumper caution a newbie from doing something that was beyond their ability. I have only heard encouragement and the desire to see newbies push themselves and learn. These people are NOT trying to hold you back. They are trying to prevent you from doing something that could hurt you, or worse, someone else.

You cannot know how quickly things can go to shit in this sport unless you've experienced it firsthand. Please slow down FOR RIGHT NOW. There is absolutely no reason for you to downsize. None. Become proficient and then move on.

Set an example and become a kickass swooper one day.