grega

Stilleto recovery arc

Last weekend i tried stilleto 120.
I was last one still in the air and in landing procedure going downwind. i was a little high so i turned 180 with front riser. i planned on letting them way to high, so the canopy would loose all his speed by enough height so i could land with normal conservative landing with toggles. without adding any speed. though i'm quite farmiliar with high speed landing. i do a 90 degree carved front riser turn on Atair impulse (Alpha) 135 most of the time.
But this was only second jump with this canopy so i decided to go conservative.
to continue my story. as i did 180 front riser turn, i let go of them too high, or at least it seemed too high at the moment. But the canopy just kept diving and was recovering to normal flight waaay slower than Atair impulse (alpha) 135 i currently jump.
Well of course i pulled my toggles to stop the "ground rush" and ended the landing without falling or anything. but i got scared by the ground rushing, and it got me thinking that maybe i'm not immortal after all ;)

So i'm asking does the Stilleto has a negative recovery arc, or is his recovery arc just many times bigger than on Atair impulse (alpha) :o
"George just lucky i guess!"

scared by the ground rushing, and it got me thinking that maybe i'm not immortal after all***Been ther done that!:)From what i've been told[i have v.limited experience under stillettos]is that they have very short recovery arc,compared to some other HP canopies.

.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

stilleto's have a short recovery arc compaired to most canopies.

the reason it seamed a lot longer is A: it's a smaller canopy than what your used to, and B: it is possible the impulse has a VERY short recovery arc (compared to a stilleto).

i have never jumped a impulse, so i couldn't tell ya. but i have jumped one stilleto a few times, like a 120 or 107 or something. and it was very short compared to a crossbrace, or crossfire.

later

huh, then i guess atair impulse (alpha) has an extra, extra short recovery arc.

I could never understood how can someone start a 180 turn with velocity loading 2.0 or more at 500 feet or more and level the canopy just above the ground. I thougt it's impossible to loose that much height in only one 180 turn. :o
Now i totally understand, if stilletos have short recovery arc.

I jump a Cobalt and Impulse 2 years ago.
The Impulse is equal to Cobalt same platform same trim and same profil, only the top skin is 1 panel for cell instead 2 in cobalt.
The impulse/cobalt recovery arc is more long than stilleto, but the bottom lift of the impulse have very more power than stilleto.

Roq

Yep, stiletto's have quite short recovery arc. I used to jump stiletto 120 loaded at 1.5 and then demoed Impulse 100 (at 1.8'ish) and the Impulse had waaayyy longer recovery arc than my stiletto, of course part of it was due the difference in wingloading. As roq said, the Impulse has very powerful flare and if it only would have opened nicely, I perphaps would have bought it.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

then i guess the reason for the difference in recovery arc is the wing loading of the canopy.
1.52 on impulse 135 : 1.71 on stilleto 120

and i rarely do 180 turns on impulse 135, so i'm not used to higher speeds at 180 turns.

then i guess the reason for the difference in recovery arc is the wing loading of the canopy.
1.52 on impulse 135 : 1.71 on stilleto 120

and i rarely do 180 turns on impulse 135, so i'm not used to higher speeds at 180 turns.

I'm still a little concerned that you considered a 180 front riser turn that low to the ground to be a conservative move on a smaller canopy that you'd never jumped before.

that low to the ground

I said i thought it wasn't low to the ground at the time. it was like 3 times higher than altitude i do 180 on impulse 135. Besides, i wasn't like 30 feet or more too low, more like 3-6 feet.

But anyway if you have any advice how to stay safe in the future, please tell me. Just don't tell me that i screwed up, because that's obvious, and i know that. And i really won't try doing it again. And i know how to start learning to swoop. after you are veeerrry farmiliar with your canopy, start with double fronts. after 10 perfect landings in a row with double fronts go to about 15 degree turn, then 30 and so on...

For your concern. the turn was made so high, that if i got frightened at the turn (if i'd be realy too low) i could pull the toggles, level it up and i'd still have at least 150 feet of height to regain full flight. But as i did the turn i noticed the speed was higher than usual. and i thought "huh how about a swoop since i got the speed already" so i let it recover itself. but as i said i was like 2 m (6 feet) too low and i pulled the toggles.

Still concerned?
if you have anything to say that can help me learn swooping better (be safer) please tell.

Btw: don't worry i won't do 180 turns on purpose in future, i still have tons of work to do on my 45-90 degree front riser turns. :)

huh, then i guess atair impulse (alpha) has an extra, extra short recovery arc.

I could never understood how can someone start a 180 turn with velocity loading 2.0 or more at 500 feet or more and level the canopy just above the ground. I thougt it's impossible to loose that much height in only one 180 turn. :o
Now i totally understand, if stilletos have short recovery arc.

Stilletos do have really short arcs. A good, smooth front riser 180 only gets you down about 300 feet in most climates.

Personally, I think it would be more difficult to time these short recovery arcs out right from 300 or less than from 700 feet. Short recovery arcs require a little more commitment. Longer arcs require commitment, as well, but an extra 200 - 400 feet of dive is an extra 200 - 400 feet of control. Unless you're snapping your turns (a big no-no in my book), a longer recovery arc may be easier to escape (if not done at the last minute).

Slow.
Smooth.
Slow.
Smooth.
Slow.
Smooth.
Slow.
Smooth.
Slow.
Smooth.
Slow.
Smooth.