LittleSkyWitch

To start swooping

I'm hesitating.....:|

I have 150+ jumps... The previous season I was jumping a Hornet 135... My weight is 49... So the loading leaves much to be desired :(

The season approaching I'd like to change my main and start learning swooping. BUT! I don't know what size and canopy is better for my case...

I was offered Stiletto 120 but I consider it to be too sharp and demanding more experience than I have...

So, I have only ????? :S
__*______________________________
Little SkyWitch
http://www.skydiveua.info
______________________________*__

Why change your main, then start learning how to do high performance landings? That's a recipe for injury.

Start slow, with the canopy that you have. Go to some canopy courses with it, learn it. Get to where you're swooping the snot out of the canopy you have now before you downsize. Wingloading is NOT a magic swooping pill, it is a magic hurtyourself pill, though.

I've seen people outswoop a lots of others, jumping our student gear (no they weren't students). My favorite was a killer swoop executed on our Navigator 300, it was very nice.

Its all about your skills as a canopy pilot.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'd like to continue jumping the Hornet, but it wasn't mine :( I borrowed it.
And now I have no choice and anyway have to got a new one...
So. that's why I'm looking for a piece of advice concearning the canopy...

Thanks for replies ;)

__*______________________________
Little SkyWitch
http://www.skydiveua.info
______________________________*__

I think that 150+ jumps is not enough experience with canopies in general to start swooping a canopy. There is so much to learn about your wing and how it reacts to different input that at 150 jumps you don't have the experience to swoop
And I agree with the others, to start out on a larger canopy and learn. I had someone swoop the hell out of my PD170, coolest part everyone say my canopy being swooped and thought it was me..hehe

~La La Gang Member #2~

I don't think there is any reason to say you shouldn't start learning the dynamics of canopy control that will lead you to swooping at 150 jumps. Now, I'm not saying on the next load go up and rip a hard 360 and hope. I started learning about a year ago at about 100 jumps or so. Reading everything I could get my hands on, getting canopy coaching, listening and learning from experienced canopy pilots, etc. A strong foundation of knowledge is key to success. Couple that with a gradual learning curve and experience and you'll have a good start.

Too far, too fast = broken body or death.
  • Like 1

That is a great idea to learn the dynamics of canopy control before starting to swoop, because many people don't. I can't tell you how many toggle whippers I see (well, maybe not that many, but they are scary) that watch these experienced swoopers making it look sooo easy and don't realize the dynamics behind what makes a canopy do what it does. They don't understand how many jumps these swoopers have and how many times they have dug themselves out of a swoop and saved themselves only because they have a lot of jumps and experience to do it. Knowledge is key.

~La La Gang Member #2~

How's this for a plan:

Ask the folks you'll be jumping with and around if they think you 49kg on a 135 canopy is a good place for you to be at the moment. It may well be a good place to stay for a while - smaller canopies will always be there waiting, and a 135 won't be a problem to resell.

Then, buy a canopy in that size that the folks around you understand so you can more easily continue your education. Buy the best condition ZeroP canopy you can, paying particular attention to the lineset.

Then, go learn some craft with it ;)

Chuck Blue is SkymonkeyOne. He's a professional Swooper who runs the canopy school at Raeford, is on the PD swooping team and has been jumping for longer then I've been alive. Basically, he knows what he's talking about.B|

who is Chuck Blue?

"Chuck Blue, Skydive Raeford, go fast, take chances, don't wear a helmet". :o A quote from the 2001 Pond Swoop Nationals video. :$ What's funny about that quote is that SkymonkeyOne does wear a helmet. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

So is it ok to take Stiletto 120?

That depends. Are you comfortable with the idea of landing an elliptical 120 sq ft canopy in a bad area (small, congested, and/or off dz)? Did you fly that Hornet using all available control inputs (toggles, rear risers, front risers)? Can you flat turn and flare turn under that Hornet 135? If you answer no to any of those questions, you may be better off buying something equivalent to what you've been jumping, both in size and aggressiveness.

There's a lot to be said for learning to swoop under a canopy that's big enough to allow you room to screw up and still walk back to the packing area.

You might want to take a look at this before you make your decision (the website is down at the moment, but it will likely be up by Monday).

Ok, here's something new for you!

Go to the General Skydiving forum. Click on my story. That's how a normal skydive can go from good to almost dead when jumping a fully elliptical canopy!

I'm not telling you to NOT swoop. I'm definately not the right person to say that (I swoop). I just want you to understand everything else that is involved with flying a high performance canopy.

That's how a normal skydive can go from good to almost dead when jumping a fully elliptical canopy!

I disagree. I think your story is a good example of how a normal skydive can go from good to almost dead when the jumper stops paying attention to his surroundings. It wasn't the canopy's fault that you ended up where you did at the altitude you did.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

No, but if I had been under something not as heavily loaded and not a high performance canopy, then I probably wouldn't have been in that situation to begin with AND I wouldn't have burned through as much altitude as I did fixing it.

No, but if I had been under something not as heavily loaded and not a high performance canopy, then I probably wouldn't have been in that situation to begin with AND I wouldn't have burned through as much altitude as I did fixing it.

You can try and put the blame back on the canopy, but in the end it was your inability to deal with an emergency situation that put you in the mess you were in. It wasn't the fault of the inanimate object, it was you.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

So is it ok to take Stiletto 120?

That depends. Are you comfortable with the idea of landing an elliptical 120 sq ft canopy in a bad area (small, congested, and/or off dz)? Did you fly that Hornet using all available control inputs (toggles, rear risers, front risers)? Can you flat turn and flare turn under that Hornet 135? If you answer no to any of those questions, you may be better off buying something equivalent to what you've been jumping, both in size and aggressiveness.

There's a lot to be said for learning to swoop under a canopy that's big enough to allow you room to screw up and still walk back to the packing area.

You might want to take a look at this before you make your decision (the website is down at the moment, but it will likely be up by Monday).

Cathy Travers, one of our full time instructors at Headcorn (now retired) had to land in a busy high street in Thailand under a Stiletto 120 after a bad spot. She managed to put it down in the direction of the traffic between a lorry and a car. The car kindly stopped rather than run her over. She did break a heel however :( It's the most extreme case of tough landing I've heard of although I'll bet there are more.

It didn't stop me learning to swoop though ;)
Rich M