skyedivr

when is a pond swoop a pond swoop?

by the offical rules of events like the Pond Swoop Nationals you would have scored no points because you did not touch the water, no water no pond swoop... but getting committed over the water is a big step... did you intend to touch the water?

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

no water no pond swoop... but getting committed over the water is a big step... did you intend to touch the water?

This brings up a related question. I've been working on swooping the ditch and gotten a nice toe drag out of one, but I'm kind of paranoid of really committing because I don't want to chow and fritz out my Cypres.

Can you get totally submerged and still save the Cypres as long as you get out quick? If so I can be a little less tentative.

FYI, I'm flying a Vector 3.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

by the offical rules of events like the Pond Swoop Nationals you would have scored no points because you did not touch the water, no water no pond swoop... but getting committed over the water is a big step... did you intend to touch the water?

Josh

I was more concerned about my speed and aborting (if needed) with a carve out of the pond than touching the water. about 3/4 of the way through I extended my leg, but didn't touch the water....I guess you could say I was "scared" it would grab me in....hehe
hell I was just thrilled that I went the distance and didn't chow....like others did....not mentioning any names.....ahem....Jon Penyon......ahem....whoops did I say that out loud?
my power is beyond your understanding.

I don't know from personal experiance, I've heard that if you get it out quick it will usually be ok... a rigger might be able to answer better...

BTW, Nice swoops this weekend.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Hey...I hooked over the pond several times but didn't touch the water....;) At least you didn't chow like Pinyon....and Chuck (No NOT SM1) Mike and Joey had some REALLY sweet swoops though. I saw quite a few double toe drags. Joey's girlfriend says he is thinking of getting a bigger parachute. I hope he does...it scares me to watch him fly that VX 60. That thing is just STUPID fast.

Pond swooping equals toe dragging. Swooping over a pond might be called pond swooping in some circles, but not in my world.

I consider PPPB gate accuracy pond swooping because you get extra points for dragging, but I do not consider PPPB distance or speed "pond swooping". The pond is there in those events as a safety measure.

On the other hand, every single event in the PSN involves dragging body parts in the water in order to be scored; no drag= zero swoop points.

Bottom line here is that if you are gonna swoop a pond for shits and grins, drag a toe and get the glory points.

Chuck

okok.....so I DIDN'T swoop the pond......
I will have to say that I was satisfied with my attempt! :P
thanks for clairifying that chuck.
oh yeah and I guess that makes clay right....d'oh!

p.s. clay, don't have that helmet strap too tight now.....GAG.....

my power is beyond your understanding.

clay, don't have that helmet strap too tight now.....GAG.....

It actually wasn't the strap...it was the fact that my sinuses drain all manner of crap into my throat the first load of each day. Especially after a night of indulgence. Plays hell with my gag reflex!!! :D

okok.....so I DIDN'T swoop the pond......

You may not want to be so hard on yourself. Your question is a subjective one to which there is no absolute correct answer.

Josh and Chuck are certainly right in that your swoop wouldn't have scored points in a competition. You, however, were swooping for fun. Did you commit to the water and risk dousing yourself and your gear as well as making a spectacle of yourself? It sure sounds like it.

Chuck said it wouldn't count as a pond swoop in his world. That is a world of factory sponsorship and pro-level competition. Very few canopy pilots (relatively speaking) are in that world.

I agree wholeheartedly with Chuck in that if you are going to swoop a pond or ditch then you should go for the glory points and drag the toe. Just don't count yourself completely out if you don't get your foot wet.

-Trey

See my latest ditch swoop (by any definition ;)) here:
home.swbell.net/trey94/vids.html

but I'm kind of paranoid of really committing because I don't want to chow and fritz out my Cypres.

Can you get totally submerged and still save the Cypres as long as you get out quick?

Ted, I competed in two meets last year with a CYPRES still in my rig and it was not harmed when I came up short and my rig got wet. It must be noted that the device was not turned on, but I don't think it would have really mattered. The rig was totally submerged at two meets (round 1 PPPB accuracy June 2001, plus raft accuracy at the PSN) and the only thing that really got wet (other than the outside of the container) was the reserve freebag. I jumped the rest of the meet, then fired the reserve, took out and wiped off the CYPRES, then flew my reserve dry before repacking it. No big deal in a competition pond since you can stand right up.

Chuck

Did they stretch the pond before the FF fest?

Nope..it's still on the smallish side. About 50-60 ft long and 15 Ft wide or so. It's a fun toy.....

Yah, that was my beer pond/dirt water dirt. I think that's one of the reasons I miss the place so much. :)

--
Hook high, flare on time

well, i can tell you from first hand experence. yes if you get it our quickly. i had mine out in about 30 seconds after i got it soaked. now, if the inside of the box is the slitest bit wet you really should send it to ssk. then you'll know for sure. now, i don't recomend swooping a pond with cypress.

later

blue sky's and long swoops
kelly