skymedic

canopy control question...

Hey guys....just want an answer to something that happened to me a few weeks ago that i've been thinking about.

I had a nice canopy ride blah blah blah....I was on final...nice straight in approach on a no wind day...all my landings have been stand up on my safire 189 that I LOVE!!!!....but this time I went to flare and the canopy popped me back up into the air about 15 feet acording to witnesses (new experience for me)...I let up the toggles about an inch or two to plane the canopy out a bit and to keep it flying...
I then had a nice gentle set down and was like kick ass!!!...

Well after I got off the field this guy told me that I should have kept my toggles down....My feeling is that if I had down that I felt like the canopy would have stalled out...as my flare point and stall point are close....anyway I landed fine...

My question is...should I have held them down...or is what I did ok? I think I did a fine job and didn't freak out or anything and didn't raise my toggles all the way up or anything...so anyway...any thoughts are appreciated..

thanks

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Not that I really know much, but I'd say if you were under control the whole time, and didn't freak out, then it's all good. I would however look in to WHY you popped 15 feet in the air and try to avoid that again unless necessary...just my opinion though.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

I let up the toggles about an inch or two to plane the canopy out a bit and to keep it flying...
I then had a nice gentle set down and was like kick ass!!!...

Let me preface this by saying that I'm no expert, but...

It sounds to me as though you were in control the entire time, that's a good thing and shows that you were aware of your situation. Had you let the toggles up all the way you probably would have crashed and that would of course be bad. ;) I'm no expert, but I agree with your assessment that you would have likely come down harder than necessary had you simply held the toggles and waited for the canopy to come down on its own.

It's all about flying the canopy until it's stopped and it sounds to me as though you did exactly that.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Marc,
seeing as how you flew it out, there was obviously no foul. The end result of that phenomenon generally varies according to how much ground airspeed you have left. If you were about to run out of steam, then it's likely the parachute would have just dived you into the ground had you kept your hands up. In slow airspeed scenarios where I encounter a gust that picks me back up, I will generally sort of do a deep, "milking" flare to settle straight down. The point being, if I am going to be dropped from height of ten feet, I would rather not have any forward velocity to compound my problem. Carry forward speed, but have no lift, from that height and you are going to generally ball it up and get evidence on your container (or injure yourself). Like I said, I would just as soon saw my lines and sink it straight down, then prepare for a PLF if neccessary.

When the same "gust lift" thing happens near the beginning of a surf, I will fly through it and land as normal, like you did in this instance.

Chuck

When I was doing my first few jumps after my ankle injury, I'd intentionally pop up my stileto at the end of the flare, so that I'd be sure to have no forward movement when I finally landed. I'd keep the toggles all the way down, and the stileto set me down gently each time.

What should you do? whatever works for you...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.