Viking

Doing riser turns/dives on a Manta 288 is hard!!!

I tryed to do some simple riser manuvers and its really hard to pull that bitch down! Is this just b/c of the HUGE size of the canopy? I tryed doing Double fronts while i was still up high and i almost couldn't do it! (:() Will this pressure get lighter as i downsize?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

I tryed to do some simple riser manuvers and its really hard to pull that bitch down! Is this just b/c of the HUGE size of the canopy?

Interesting. I thought a bigger canopy would be easier to riser turn on, but would not be as radical. Have no desire to go back to a 288 to find out, but another unsubstantiated, preconceived notion, destroyed.
flyhiB|
"To understand Mankind, you must look at its two root words; Mank and Ind."

Hehe, I had to borrow a student sized behemoth the other weekend while waiting for a reserve repack and decided to see what I could do with the front risers . I miss my tiny (to me) 150
--
~Captain Cutaway
I can disassemble a rig in less than 5 seconds...

I had to use double fronts for wind-penetration once on long spot under a 288. I'm no gorilla either, and when I landed, holy shiat I could feel it in my arms.
Thing is, when I was 15, I shattered my elbow in a skiing accident, and ever since doing chin-ups has been exceedingly difficult, due to a nasty grinding sound coupled with a weird form of pain. So, do any of you guys know any other good excercises fo the arms that would translate well to riser usage? I can do it now, but damn, if I could do it better, that's fine with me.
"and if her "lawyer" friends don't like it, f*ck'em, let em riot...
....we're Sonic f*ck'n Death Monkey..."

Yup, big canopy big riser pressure. It also depends on how the canopy is trimmed, whether the weight is more on the front (diving) or rear (sinking) is in the formula as well. Some small canopies still have fairly stiff riser pressure. My stilletto 135 is pretty high, I jumped an alpha 104 and it was super light, same with an alpha 119, I have heard the crossfire 109 falls somewhere in between.
Regardless, I would imagine a 288 would be pretty stout with or without taking into consideration how the canopy is trimmed. It would've been pretty cool if you could've whipped the manta around into a hard swoop.
Drewfus McDoofus

It would've been pretty cool if you could've whipped the manta around into a hard swoop.

That was my intention, been doing some nice, smooth, consistent front riser dives to final on my 150, so I figured it would be cake on the (Raider 220?) that I was borrowing, what with the more forgivable canopy and all. Well, practiced some at altitude to get a feel for the altitude loss in a 270, then grabbed it to final and got a nice vertical landing... Hindsight, I should have gone downwind (stupid 15 mph winds) :)(Don't practice anything I post about, I'm still new, learning, and prone to F-up majorly)
--
~Captain Cutaway
I can disassemble a rig in less than 5 seconds...

"a nasty grinding noise coupled with a weird form of pain" sounds like you need to visit an orthopedic surgeon or a sports medicine doctor to determine exactly what is wrong with your elbow.
A sports medicine doctor or a good physical therapist can prescribe a series of exercises that work around your old injury, allowing you to build muscle without over-stressing a weak joint.
Good luck.