pekkakurtz

Reserve at 1.4??

Hi there!!
I have in my container a PD 143 reserve, loaded at 1.4 : 1.
Anyone of you any experience to flight a reserve at this wingload?
How does it flight? Is it different from a Spectre 170?For PD standards I have overloaded my reserve, mmmhh.
Please any answer will help.
Thanks!!

If you have questions either buy a larger reserve (My .02C) or just pay PD the $35 for a demo. I think it would be well worth your time to fly your reserve in a controlled environment rather than try it out under emergency circumstances.
"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

I'd fly one if you get a chance to at that wing loading.. You are within the limit of that canopy. Considering it is new and a loading of 1.4 isn't that high. You won't have much room for error.. Especially if you land off or have to set it down in a back yard or something. I am 175 out the door and I jump a pd143 reserve.. I'd goto a 126 but no smaller.. And only after jumping one in a controlled environment as a main.
Rhino
Semper Fi !!!!!
http://www.aahit.com

Considering it is new and a loading of 1.4 isn't that high.

I'd beg to differ... 1.4 is a lot higher then most people should be jumping . I've jumped canopies from .8 to 1.6 loadings and at 1.4 is still enough that you need to be on top of your game if you want to walk away uninjured. Just because you are in the limit of the canopy does not mean its the best idea. Deploying a small canopy at high speed can lead to major problems if its loaded at all. A larger canopy is built to take the load.... Smaller ones are not... Just because a reserve is rated to 255 pounds at 130 knots does not mean its good to take 220 pounds to 150 knots....
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

"A larger canopy is built to take the load.... Smaller ones are not... "
I am not sure you are saying larger reserves are stronger, but I think it was discussed before and the conclusions were that smaller reserves where stronger. They are manufactured exactly the same. The difference between a PD-143R and a PD-126R is the amount of fabric between seams. I am not saying smaller reserves are better. I just don't like the argument that small canopys are more likely to blow up. My main is 60 sq ft and is not built w/ as much re-inforcement as most reserves and it hasn't blown up. It has opened harder than any reserve on more than one occassion.
Hook

My reserve is loaded at 1.72. Very tricky to land. It stalls very easy and abruptly.
Your 143 will fly very differently from your Spectre 170. Since you would be most likely lower than normal and possibly landing out when you are under your reserve for the first time, consider it an investment in your future to demo your size reserve.
Hook

What I was refering to was the fact that the smaller reserves are only certified to lower drop weights then the larger ones. The PD 106R is only certified to 220 pounds where as the 281R is certified to 300 pounds.
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

If the 7 cell reserve is like a triathlon, which I'm banking it is. I have about 50 jumps on a tri loaded at 1.4 and it was no problem. It flew great and landed ok. It didn't have the lift or flare of a nine cell, but I stood up all my landings under it. I could put it down where ever I wanted. I could sink it in or float it what ever needed. I don't think it would be a bad loading for a reserve. In fact its what I load my reserve at. Of course it would depend on your experience.

After jumping a spectre at 1.5 I knew I did not want a smaller reserve.
though it was ZP and it flew just fine It stalled rather abruptly at the end of the flare (of course I probably wouldn't hook my reserve).
I've landed my old reserve at 1.3....no problem tippy toe new one is 1.5 (143R) and my main is a little too small for my container (109 at 2.0), but I do not want a smaller reserve...just not worth it for a smaller container.
I guess I want to feel somewhat confident if I am low over a trailer park.
ramon