prost

FX with HMA

Hi Prost,
We have had numerous requests to reline the EXTreme FX and VX's with HMA line. Initially we asked that anyone interested contact Icarus Canopies with the request. Currently Icarus Canopies does not have any experience with HMA and therefore is not able to meet the requests. After the requests continued, we finally gave in... (We continue to service ALL canopies we manufactured...)
Relining an EXTreme with HMA required a bit of additional engineering. First we had to develop a lineset with a trim to fit the dimensions of the canopy... We do have all of the data on the canopies, not only including the airfoil, but also the lineset data for the Vectran CASCADED lineset. Because the HMA we use is very small (160 kg vs. 580 lb. Vectran), we build HMA linesets in CONTINUOUS lines only.
This maintains better lower surface shape. We also install our "Stabilrib" and include a new slider.
THIS DOES NOT MAKE AN FX A XAOS-21, (OR A VX A XAOS-27). The Xaos canopies have significant differences in the airfoil. From our experience, there is very positive improvement. (But it still ain't a Xaos!)
For costs, etc... contact me (or Beezy) at Precision... 423-949-4688
or email... [email protected] or [email protected]
*Hey, I'm so sure you'll like it... I'll put our 30 day satisfaction guarantee on this mod...
Chris
p.s. Inhouse, we refer to the mod as X-FX and X-VX...

The Stabilrib... most canopies are built with a end rib, then a stabilizer it sewn on... The line attachment is actually on the lower surface with a bartack to the stabilizer... only problem there is... the stabilizer simply produces drag. It is not a structural part of the airfoil... (look at everyones stabilizers in flight... they simply flap from the passing air... look at the rest of the canopy, you won't see the lower or upper surface flapping about.)
With the Stabilrib, we actually load the stabilizer, line attachment is made there... check out the website... (the outboard load bearing rib and stabilizer are one piece in the Stabilrib.)

http://aerodynamics.com/Ground_Zero/PAGES/xaos21.htm
With respect to the slider... Stainless is bullet-proof and HEAVY! We are able to get much sweeter openings with brass grommets... (Brass was a problem with Vectran because the line was so abrasive, it would wear through the grommets.) We include our "Wrap-it Links" -soft links- with all GZ canopies (and this "X" mod).
We can not take apart an FX and recut ribs/surface panels/crossbraces, etc. But we can modify the endcells, install new HMA lineset and slider (and soft links) and give you improvement for considerably less than the cost of a new canopy...
If you're at reline time, you may want to consider it...
Chris

The vectran reline is 238.00 for an FX... so yes it's about $200 higher... keep in mind that we rebuild your endcells... (oh, by the way, you'll lose your endcell logo panels-we can return the parts if you'd like...) and include new slider and soft links...
Then you can expect twice the life for your new HMA lineset... after the original redo, the price for the X-FX HMA reline is the same price as the original Vectran reline...
Add it up... pretty sweet deal... (and take 30 days to decide if it's worth it... we haven't had a negative comment on any done so far...)
Chris

My friend Jessie got his FX104 relined, trimmed and stabiliribbed by Precision.
It was quite a bit more expensive than a regular re-line. That particulare FX was one of the ones that opened very predictably soft and so it is hard to tell if the openings had definitely improved. Claims are that the riser pressure was lessened also.
For me it is a little too expensive.
ramon

For me it is a little too expensive.

Initially, yes it does cost more and could be considered expensive, but remeber, the HMA line set will last at least twice as long ( for only about $200 more, which is less than the cost of a Vectran re-line) and after the initial conversion, the cost is the same. What this means is that you actually end up spending less over the life of the canopy. The up front cost can easily be justified.
alan

After the requests continued, we finally gave in... (We continue to service ALL canopies we manufactured...)

Does this mean you can get a safire relined with HMA when its up for reline? I love them on my Nitron.
Thanks
Jonathan
D-24876