freeflir29

Canopy Nazi Question?

"I crosstrained in 97 and became a PJ"
Yep...know several people that went that way. Including one friend that became a PJ in the Louisville guard and then got out of that to go to BUDS. What a nut case Dave was....LOL. We must have several mutual friends... I was a ROMAD from Nov 95 to Dec 2000. I had to pull the handles on the AF though. Just couldn't stand it anymore.....
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

The answers to all the accuracy/back yard questions are a huge yes. I would bet a case of beer that with a resonable spot I can not only put that PD on the X every time. I'll swoop to a stop at the X every time.

Landing on the X doesn't, in my opinion, give you high marks for accuracy. What happens when someone moves the X? Have a friend pick a different target in the landing area for 10 different jumps. Landing on the X after 114 jumps just tells me that repetition is your friend.
Good luck, stay safe.
-
Jim
Help with cancer research here.

I just purchased a Nitron which is similar to a german made Nitro. Nitros are pretty sweet flying canopies.

The Nitro is definitely a nice canopy.....but after less than 20 jumps on mine, I realized I should have gone with a 120 instead of a 135.......although, I'm already at the "max recommended" wing loading that Precision lists for the 135....maybe a Xaos is the next step.. I'll put a couple hundred on the 135, then maybe go with a Xaos 118..
Anybody else flying a Nitro feel that they should have gone smaller?
Mike

One thing I did realize about the Nitrons is that they have a bit of a heavy front riser. I've been having to shift my weight in the harness to compensate, which seems to work for now but cuts down my options a bit. It also has a short recovery arc, unlike other elipticals I have flown. I did have to lengthen the toggles a bit so as not to pull down the tail when performing front riser turns, just a bit though. Has a short toggle input which is fine by me. Does have good glide characteristics though which help from a long spot. I'll be able to give more info on this canopy when I have, say 50 + jumps on it.
Miguel

It also has a short recovery arc, unlike other elipticals I have flown.

Short recovery arc as opposed to what? Seems to me that the recovery arc is much longer than a Stiletto, and about the same as a Vengeance at the same loading.. What are you loading your Nitro at? What size is it? I'm on a 135 loaded almost 1.6.. I would prefer that the canopy continue to dive a bit longer after a riser turn(I really like the way the Samurai dives), but overall I'm definitely happy with it.. On a 180 hook the Nitro does not dive very long after a front riser maneuver, but after a 270 or 360 it seems to dive for a decent amount of time - much longer than a Stiletto..
Mike

"Landing on the X after 114 jumps just tells me that repetition is your friend"
I rarely try to land on the X. It's a little ways away from the hangar. For obvious reasons. When the wind is right I like to swoop past the wind blades cause it let's you hook right in front of the hangar and almost directly over the spectator area. (Of course I'm 50-60 ft away from them by the time I get near the ground. Not like the hooking at some other DZ in GA) I like to be about 5 ft off the ground when I pass the edge of the tarmac and onto the grass. I usually pick my target in the last 500-800 ft while making traffic determinations.....sometimes later if the traffic is heavy.
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

I'm loading around 1.55 give or take. My stilleto had a bit of a steeper dive, probably due to the fact that the front riser pressure was a bit less and I was able to get nice long carving dives.Seems like I'm doing pullups with this one. I have to give it more time maybe it will all come together. I think the main reason that it recovers a bit quick is maybe its trimmed a bit flatter than a stilleto, who knows...
I'll tell you this it sure does have a powerfull flare.

I flew a Nitro 88, load to 2, and my opinion is the following:

Good and straight openings
Easy packing (ZO Gelveanor fabric)
Glide ratio: very flat
Hard front risers pressure
Short arc recovery
Easy landings
The Nitro is not a winner for swoop competitions, it is a very entertaining and safety canopie, for me it is a toy.
Roq

precision does not use gelvenor fabric.
the early nitro's that atair manufactured for karl were made with gelvenor.
the new european ones are also made by karl with gelvenor, i believe assembled in sri lanka
i assume precision builds their nitros from their standard domestic source of fabric.
-dan

Precision uses Performance Textiles' Soar-Coat fabric in all zero perosity canopies. Long lasting (DuPont Solarmax), lower pack volume...(Nitron 120: 348 c.i vs. Nitro(Gelvanor)120: 394c.i)
By the way, the Nitro (Profile Research) is sewn in Korea using Gelvanor fabric. Final rigging/inspection in Germany. Terrific craftsmanship! If you're in other parts of the world and the money exchange favors your currency, Profile Research has a great canopy... NITRO! (Ever wonder why we build the Nitron? The only canopy that was not "tweaked" by Precision.) The sweetest design, no changes needed.
Yehaa!
Chris

Here's some more on the Nitron from todays jumps. Only able to get six flights. After some different packing techniques last weekend, I got it wired. Can you believe it opens softer than my spectre, this is no shit all six jumps had the sweetest opening I have ever had in my life. I leave the nose hanging but push it in a bit before rolling the tail and I also pull the slider a bit more out in front. Opening shock is almost non existent. Also I'm getting used to the front risers more now even though the front riser pressure is a bit higher it doesn't increase exponentially, it keeps increasing gradually through out the turn but still manageable. I still think it has a short recovery arc, but then that's my opinion. Awesome glide and flare characteristics. I had to set the brakes a bit loose, because of their short range(similar to stilleto) for front riser carves, but only about 1/2 inch for now. All in all I am very satisfied with this canopy. Everybody keeps freaking out about my lines. They are tiny. I'm glad I jumped on the deal.
Miguel