Merkur

How to find the price for a used rig

Not only do the items you listed go into an evaluation of value but things like condition, area of the country, popularity, current or outdated equipment, desireability and marketability (like color, size, options, etc.). I recently bought a rig for $1300 that should have been worth $2000, but it wasn't a popular size harness or main. Ask at least three local instructors or riggers about their opinion.

Then ask us.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Ask your friendly local JM!!! I was calling people at the DZ every 5 minutes when I was shopping. They'll also have an idea of what kind of resale value you'll get because they will know what happens to be popular at your own DZ.
Jess

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

Here are the details of the thing I want to buy:
The complete thing is from PARATEC - a german manufactor (www.paratec.de):
Main canopy: Quadra VTec 150´
Reserve:Speed 2000 135´
AAD: Cypres 1-pin expert
Container system: NEXT-Sport with "aero spacer" backpad and legpads and retractable pilot chute
All build in IV/2001, reserve 0 jumps, Main about 150 jumps
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

Can't help with specific values from this side of the pond but..... I'd start with new list price, multiply by .7 and take off 400 euros. Or find out what it would cost new to actually buy the gear new (not list) and take off 400 to 500 euros. This is based on dealer prices and markups in the U.S. Again, depending on care, desirability, popularity, etc. everything changes.

There is a calculator for the value of the cypres at http://www.pia.com/SSK/cypres/ You need the date of manufacturer, the date of the last battery change, the cost of a new cypres, the cost of replacement batteries and the cost of four year service.

Ellen Bussemaker ([email protected]) is a rigger in the Netherlands that I know that may be of help, but your best bet are instructors or riggers in your area that know the local market and the gear your interested in.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

ask the local gear geek. The local gear geek is a species that has nothing else to do but to be in the internet 24/7 looking at different prices of things, he/she might be of good help and yes every dz has one ;)

You say that like it's a bad thing............

When I estimate a price for a complete system I usually look at each component and figure out what I would give for each.
Container w/risers and pc - (hard to say, New price -20%, jump numbers, age and general condition all play a part.)
Main - (Can be hard, depends on condition. Many people lie about the jump numbers! Is it someone you trust.)
Reserve - (20 year lifespan Calculate from new price)
Cypress - http://www.poxon.org/Craig/Skydive/Tools/CypresValuer.asp
Additional stuff (altimeters, dytters, helmets, jumpsuits, etc.)
Then it's not to hard to see if it's a good buy or not. Also ask someone who don't know the seller what he thinks. Look at what it costed new, and calculate from that. But remember that if you buy new you pay the extra cash to get it custom made. You have to live with whatever shape and colour the rigg and main is.
Also, how much can you sell it for when you want a new rigg in two years? I paid $1300 for my first complete system. Think that wasn't a bad price, and I diveded it up something like this:
Vector II -91 ($260)
PD190 -89 ($130)
Firelite 176R (-89) ($130)
Cypress -97 (650)
I really don't have that much knowledge on the subject, but this is just some of my opinions and thoughts...

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.