epawlak

New to the sport and need advice on equipment

Im new to the sport with about 25 jumps total.
Im looking to purchase new gear. I have heard a lot of good thing about Saber 2. Im about 183lbs and 6" tall. The only used Saber 2 I really see in the classifieds are Saber 2 170s and smaller. Can anyone give me a recomendation as if I should purchase a 170 or should I weight for a 190 or 210 given my weight. I have been flying 240 Navagators as student rigs for my last 12 jumps and the landings are great.

Yeah, here's some advice, don't do it. You'll load that canopy at a little over 1.2 - not such a great idea at 25 jumps. Live (or stay injury free) to skydive another day and start looking for something in the 190/210 range. It shouldn't be difficult to find a larger rig with a Sabre 190/210, a Tri 190/210, etc...

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Live (or stay injury free) to skydive another day and start looking for something in the 190/210 range.

What Jimbo said (I still can't believe I'm saying that... love ya Jimbo! ;)). There are larger used rigs out there. If you can't find one, suck it up and buy new. Your body and/or family just may thank you someday.

Knowing nothing about you beyond your jump numbers and body weight I'd suggest something in the 210 range, especially if your dz has nothing smaller than a 240 for you to jump before you get your own rig.

There's loads of good info on choosing which canopy type/size might be right for you (amongst other gear related subjects) in the Gear section of this website.

Take this for what its worth, but at 25 jumps, buy something non-elliptical. Learn how to fly it, and when you cannot scare yourself anymore, then think about smaller high performance stuff.
I am amazed at how I see some people's canopy progression and their desire to jump down so fast. Just going from student gear to a Triathlon was a huge jump. I just cannot see safely going from 240 to a 190 semi- ellip.

JMHO
JJ
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Im looking to purchase new gear

Don't go for new (you will downsize in no time if you keep current making lots of jumps), go for good used stuff. Used gear works just fine, are cheap and the spare money you can use it for jump tickets or other stuff.

Read the reviews of gear, find what your needs wants and email every skydiving store you can find (be sure to add the inseam, height and weight on the emails).

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

Take this for what its worth, but at 25 jumps, buy something non-elliptical. Learn how to fly it,

It is not about if the canopy is elliptical or not - as others have pointed out even the Navigator is "slightly tapered". All new canopy models for a last few years have been somewhat elliptical - no matter what is the target audience. A Hornet or Sabre 2 loaded about 1.1 will do just fine. Modern designs also give a slight boost to safety by having a stronger flare and better opening-charasteristics and glide than older "square" ones - it's all about the other design variables and wingloading - not strictly if the canopy is "elliptical" or not.

About the original question - you will get as many recommendations as there are people recommending - buy something in the "easy beginner canopy" -range - at leas Spectre, Sabre (2), Hornet, Thriathlon and Safire are all good modern choices. Stay away from older (especially F111) canopys - even if somebody is trying to sell you one as "a killer deal". It is better to learn on a ZP canopy right away. 190 would be fine size for you, you'll probably can do a 170 if you can jump a 190 for a few jumps, have some talent when it comes to learning to fly a canopy and get some coaching.

-Kari

While just completing my first year of skydiving, my only recommendation as a fellow rookie is to buy used - but buy smart!
It'll take a long search, but find the right gear for you. Personally, I continuously talked to my rigger and DZO for advice. I also sent them classified ads via email that I had found on the internet and asked for their input.
Within the past year, I have developed a more knowledgeable understanding of equipment and which is best suited for me. You don't want to put several thousand dollars down on new gear when you'll probably downsize shortly thereafter!
Please feel free to email me personally for any questions on my own buying experience, or directions as to where to look.
Good luck and blue skies!
J.