fred

Favorite Reserves

When it comes down to reserves why would you really want to fuck around with anything other than a PD? They do not stall, and oyu don't hear about them blowing up. Also you do not have to add a second bar tack to the line attachment point because of manufacturer mistakes. Sure they may be a little more pricey, or pack a hair bigger, but why should it matter.

I have landed a variety of reserves:
Raven 218 loaded at 1.0 landed ok
Tempo 170 loaded at 1.17 landed ok
Tempo 150 Loaded at 1.33 Landed like shit (stalled)
PD 126 loaded at 1.66 landed at 5500MSL landed great!!!
PD 113 Loaded at 1.9 and 2.0, 1.9 at 5500 MSL 2.0 at 6500 MSL. Both times they flew and landed very nicely.

I will jump no other reserve than a PD. I just do not understand why people continue to purchase substandard reserves and keep these product lines alive. When a manufacturer makes and AD stating that you have to add a second bartack to the line attachement point because it was their fault for installing the faulty material, and they charge the owner to do it is not acceptable in my book. A reserve that stalls at shoulder level toggle input is not acceptable in my book. A reserve that requires more than 50% input of one toggle to keep it flying straight it not acceptable. These are all situations that we teach first jump students to cut away from on a main, and to have a reserve that will exhibit the same properties? WTF over?>:(

You get what you pay for in this business, and if you are going to try and save a few dollars by getting a cheaper reserve, then you are taking your life into your own hands.

You forgot that P-D had problems with their tandem reserves? This means shit can hapenned to any manufacturers. P-D makes great reserves for sure, but they are not the only one able to make good reserves now.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Only have one Reserve ride to date, Smart 220 at 1.25 : 1. High speed mal and somewhat long spot equal no time under reserve for practice flares etc. Luckily I did not need the practice, the thing flew great, was in trim, plained out to a soft tip toe landing, no problems.

You forgot that P-D had problems with their tandem reserves?

I have saw a couple of those things open, yikes and no thank you.

You forgot that P-D had problems with their tandem reserves?

I have saw a couple of those things open, yikes and no thank you.

Yea while we're the subject, why exactly DO those PD tandem reserves open in a full stall? Seems like if you ever had an unconscious cypres fire then it'd land you pretty hard...

I have no clue, or atleast not one that I can claim to be valid. I have been told, that ther break setting was used in the original TSO tests, and although it opened in a stall, it still passed all the tests and to reconfigure the break setting would mean to repeat all the TSO test with the new setting, so therefore they just live with it where they are. Now like I said, this is just some garb that I was told, does someone know the truth to this story, I am curious.

So My exit weight being *6 kilogrammes would mean that I would need a 139 icarus reserve?

Is this the same for othe rmanufacturers?

Has anyone out there experienced an Icarus reserve ride?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix