BMFin

Hornet vs. Sabre

I guess this has been asked often before , but I would like to hear opinions on Hornet´s

How they differ from sabre ?

If u prefer sabre why so? Whats worth paying so much more money ?

(any kinds of opinions are welcome, but please let me know if you haven´t flown both)

Hornet is semi-elliptical... Sabre is rectangular and Sabre2 is semi elliptical. Are you looking for Sabre2 vs Hornet? If so... look in the archives with a search. This has came up more then once.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'll give you my opinion from a very unfair test. I rented a Sabre 190 for about 25 jumps after student status then bought my own Hornet 190. The rental sabre had an unknown but no doubt laughably high number of jumps on it.

My brand spanking new Hornet which had fabric that actually held the air in absolutely kicks its ass in every category, except maybe toggle pressure. I noticed that it took considerably more effort to pull the toggles down to flare my new canopy than it did on the Sabre. Rear riser pressure is also heavier on the Hornet, but it did not seem as noticeable to me as the toggle pressure. Anyway, toggle pressure is not unreasonably high by any means on the Hornet, it is just different and heavier.

Compared to a very tired Sabre of the same size, the Hornet has quicker turns, more flare, more penetration, less abrupt collapse in a stall, and WAY better openings.

But remember, the Sabre that showed up for this test had its best days well behind it, while the Hornet that showed up had zero jumps until I got out of the plane with it on my back.

$0.02.
BMcD...

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

>designs are practically the same anyway.

Have you held the canopies on top of each other to see the shaping difference? how about line trim difference? They are not "Practically" the same in any reguard. They fly similar, but thats about it. For that matter a Stiletto/Heatwave, Spectre/Tri, Crossfire/Cobalt are all similar in some reguard, but they are not the same canopy. The differences are whats makes the canopies so unique and desireable to some, but others hate them. A Sabre2 dives a LONG ways on front risers, a hornet does'nt.... just one difference in the flying of the canopies...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

There's been more than one review on here saying how similar the 2 canopies are in flight. I've never flown a sabre2 personally, but I know people who own them, and they think the same as me.

are not "Practically" the same in any reguard.

So they're totally different then?

I know plenty of people that did everything to try and slow down the Hornet's opening but it didn't work.

Did they try using a Psycho pack and double stowing the bands on the sides of the bag? If they tried that and are still getting hard openings, I would be really surprized. I had some hard openings at first, but that was due to my poor packing, even pro-packing a hornet yields good consistent openings if you pack with care.

I have flat, pro and psycho packed my Hornet since I bought it (260 jumps to date) and haven't noticed a problem with the openings (Hornet '150 loaded at 1.3:1).

I think a lot of people blame their canopy when poor packing and incorrect body position at pull time is actually to blame for bad openings.

Will

The openings on my hornet were way too hard much of the time when I was pro packing it. I use tight stow bands and tandem rubber bands for the first two stows. Since I have started psycho packing the openings have improved wonderfully. I did have a couple of hard openings this past weekend but this may be due to some slight variations on how I put it in the bag. If you have a hard opening hornet I would really recommend trying the psycho-pack. There are step by step instructions (with pictures) on groundrush.com. Steve 1