E150

PDF Ninja & Springo

Anyone here jumped either of these canopies? Any opinions? Likes? Dislikes?
The Ninja is a fully elliptical canopy (according to the PDF website). At a guess, I think the Springo is tamer than the Ninja, can anyone calrify?
I jump an Electra which is semi eliptical (or tapered) at the mo.

Ninja is the new cross-brace. - it's been mentioned here a few times in the last few months, so try a search.
Springo is a 'normal' elliptical - it's been around at least a few years, and is a popular alternative to the Stiletto in Europe.
cheers
Geoff

Springo is very similar to Stiletto but flaring is slightly different , I think it is slightly less twitchy. The ones with big slider opened just great. Ninja! is a cross braced, at high loading very responsive and ground hungry, but in brakes you can make it back from any distance - it glides so well. It packs REAL BIG - an 85 Ninja! packs basically like 120 Springo. One thing about French parachutes - the fabric they make it from wears out after about 300-400 jumps, but are very easy to pack, and the fabric feels thinner then say PD's (hence smaller pack volumes). Ninja appeared to be made from stronger (more slippery also) fabric.
marcin

the fabric they make it from wears out after about 300-400 jumps

Are you serious? A new canopy every 15 - 18 months? Is there a cost break on that? It would be cheaper to import one, wouldn't it?
flyhiB|
"To understand Mankind, you must look at its two root words; Mank and Ind."

"the fabric they make it from wears out after about 300-400 jumps"
-------------------------------------------------
Don't know what you excatly mean by "wearing out", but in our club there is at least one Springo with well over 600 jumps and it works just fine.
Springos are quite popular here in Finland and guys who jump them love them. They've said that it has extremely light front riser pressure.

Thanks everyone. . . . . :)I was just looking to the future. I can get a Springo 140 or a Ninja 110 into my container . . . So Marcin, your right about the Ninja packing BIG!
Think, I would be looking to the Springo140 when I 'eventualy' downsize. Ninja, would be weeey too great a jump!
I hope the fabric doesn't not wear out after 300 - 400 jumps. My Electra only has about 25 jumps on it!!!! booo hooo :(

I tested Ninja (94) for 1.85, see my opinion in Drop Zone.
Ninja is not ground hungry, even in full flight has a slope plane.
The fabric is not French that as I know. I thinks that is English (Blue Fabric) and has same density, or more than it USA ZP fabric.

Roq

I dont think any of the fabrics used by PDF are french. To the best of my knowledge, most of their kit is made in Mauritius.
And as far as the canopies wearing out after 2-300 jumps, allthough I dont own one, I would seriously doubt there would be so many PDF canopies out there if that was the case. A good friend of mine flyes a Springo, and he bough it with 200 jumps on it, and has since put another 300. It still looks fine.
Jo: think of Nija = FX or Velocity (their not 100% the same, but close enough for this discussion). As you said, dont even think about it for a long while. As far as the Springo goes, I've found that its turns are sharper / quicker then a similar Stiletto; keep that in mind when you want to demo one.
Remster
Muff 914

Remster,
Yip, they are made in Mauritius.
The instructor who reccomended me to get an Electra, has shit loads of jumps on his Springo. Seems fine.
I'm NO WAY thinking of a Ninja, no worries there. Was just curious to know what they are like.
Thanks
Jo

"I tested Ninja (94) for 1.85...Ninja is not ground hungry"
The Ninjas I watched are flown at 2.2-2.3. Our national RW team jumps them since last summer, so there is a lot of feedback available (I still have to fly one - hope soon). This would explain the difference in your experiance of "ground-hungriness". I guess every canopy at that loading is ground hungry in a hard turn (not in braked flight though). It requires toggle input to come out of dive.
Fabric quality - I meant the "wears out" not like the toilet paper does after intensive usage:). But, after 300-400 jumps it looks and feels much more poroseus (I could actually easily blow the air through some oder pieces) and worn out, then, say, the fabric used by PD. There are plenty of French parachutes here since the RW team is sponsored by PdF and everybody wants a canopy like the big guys'. I jumped a few Merits, BT-Pro's and Springos.
marcin