rhino

Container and Dbag combos ???????????????????

I've seen allot of questions regarding what size canopy will fit in my container and allot of questions on pack volume. I a bit curious as to what everyone's rig was built for and what have you had in it.
I have a Racer that was built for a pd143 reserve and a Triathlon150 main..
In that Dbag and container I have had the following main canopies fit with no problems..
Triathlon150
Diablo110
Diablo120
Fx114
Xaos98
Crossfire109
I haven't had a problem with any of these...
Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)

Javelins are also great for mixing canopies of various sizes with no ill-effects. My Javelin OJ was made for a PD143R and a 135 main. Here are the canopies that I've had in it.
Diablo 150
Diablo 135
Diablo 120
Diablo 110
Cobalt 105
Right now, I have the Cobalt 105 in it, and it still looks great. It isn't baggy or loose-looking anywhere, and the closing flaps remain tight simply by shortening the closing loop. As far as I know, my main flap has never come open, even in the most aggressive freeflying.

In my Javelin J3, I've put the following.
Triathlon 190
Diablo 190
Diablo 170
Spectre 170
Stiletto 170
Safire 150
Crossfire 150
Lotus 150
Samurai 150
Heatwave 150
Stiletto 150
The only one that concerned me was the Heatwave. For whatever reason the one I had packed up WAY smaller then any of the others. I still had tension on my closing loop, but all three closing flaps were loose.
All this with a big-assed Tempo 210 reserve.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

I have a Mirage G3 MOS, which is sized for a sabre 135 (and pd126r). It also took a safire 129 (actually about 120 equivalent size) comfortably, and now I have a cobalt 105 in it - BUT I'm using the secondary loop point (on the base of the pack tray). This is no longer recommended by Mirage, and I think the newer G3s no longer have this secondary attachment point.
So I have 3 choices
(1) stay as I am, but inspect that grommet religiously (it's also surrounded by a raised ring, so the snag hazard must be minimal.
(2) go back to the primary attachment point, and accept a looser pack.
(3) get a new rig - Mirage has some trade-in scheme apparently, but they need to inspect the rig first, and as I'm in the UK it's not that easy. I might just get a Voodoo instead.
I'll probably try (2) for a while and see what it's like.
Mirages, excellent rigs in many regards, are definitely not the best for accommodating a wide range of main sizes.
Geoff

I use a spectre 150 and cause of my budget I had to buy a used Dolphin D4 and its huge for my main. Solution: put a tight closing loop and save money for a new container.
If you think am flying a death trap please do tell me.
"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid? be extreme"
drenaline

My old rig was a Talon T-6. It is sized for a Sabre 170/PD 176 R.
I had the following in it:
Monarch 215 (real tight) & Raven II (too tight...wouldn't do it agani now that I know what I'm doing)
Sabre 170 (good fit...not real firm pack density)
Heatwave 170 (a little small, but OK)
PD 176 R (tight fit...firm pack density)
Now I have a Mirage G3 sized for a PD 160R/Stiletto 150. I have had
Heatwave 170(a little tight)
PD 160R(just right).
My experience is that the container manufacturers have a pretty good idea of what will fit and what won't.

Mine's a Mirage M4. Has a Dash-M 181 and supposedly the previous owner had a Triathlon 190 or a Diablo 170. I'm sure they both fit fine according to the Mirage sizing chart.
The D-bag though is a Precision Aerodynamics with velcro. And it's nothing like the one on Mirage's online packing manual. I was quite surprised but I guess it's the freebag that should be the container manufacturer's.
One thing I like about the deployment portion of my rig is that it has a retractable pin. It doesn't come out unless you've cocked the pilot chute. Pretty cool huh?

The D-bag though is a Precision Aerodynamics with velcro. And it's nothing like the one on Mirage's online packing manual. I was quite surprised but I guess it's the freebag that should be the container manufacturer's.

Actually, technically, main dbag, bridle and p/c (risers and toggles too) are container parts. If you're at all uncomfortable or unsure about the main dbag you have, get ahold of Mirage and get the right one.
pull & flare,
lisa