PhreeZone

Demoing Gear

Since its often been said by the more experienced jumpers to demo but never clearly explained for newer jumpers I thought I'd assemble a list of demo programs and costs that I'm aware of and help to make the demoing process that much easier for someone else.
The First thing you need to do before demoing gear is decide what you are looking for in your next canopy. Are you looking to get your first canopy or your first Crossbraced? Basic questions you need to consider and talk to the manufacturer with to get their opinion are sizing, canopy model if several would work for your intended future in jumping, previous canopy experience and currency on your current canopy. Any reputable gear dealer or manufacturer will ask your current canopy currency and current canopy. They can use this to get a feel for your flying mentality to see if in their opinion you are being too aggressive or to see if you have the currency needed to fly a little 75 foot canopy. Most demo programs involve filling out a form that specifically asks your information and also acts as a waiver releasing them from liability in the event you die or are injured under the demo canopy. For the most part the forms are simple ones that ask your name, address, body weight, current canopy, stuff like that. Depending on the company you are working with they might have to put you on a waiting list if the canopy model and size are popular and have a large demo demand. Usually larger 210+ and tiny Sub 100 sq ft canopies have the shortest waiting times, and the more common sized canopies are a longer wait. For instance, a Sabre2 135 was on about a 6-8 week waiting list when I received the Demo a few weeks ago. Depending on the time you ask for the demo will also affect the waiting period. Mid spring after most the northern DZ’s have opened back up and more jumpers are jumping the wait seems to increase and in the winter the wait is shorter. Asking to get the canopy for a boogie is sometimes possible but that is best asked to the manufacturer. Over all, do some homework before asking for a demo canopy and the chances are that you will make a smarter decision and not get in over your head too soon. Enjoy playing with all the cool canopies out there! Safe Swooping….
Performance Designs
1300 International Speedway Blvd.
Deland, FL 32724
Ph: (386) 738-2224
Fax: (386) 734-8297
Or email them for demo info at:
[email protected]
PD has a program where you get to keep the canopy for 2 weekends for around $30 plus return shipping. The demo contact will contact you for more info then just your name and phone number when the arrival date of your potential demo canopy is closer to get you to fill out the demo form or call them with the info.
Atair Aerodynamics
162 Coffey Street Brooklyn, Ny 11231
718-923-1709 ph 718-923-1733 fax
Email them at [email protected]
They have a form on their website that you need to complete and fax to them to get on the demo list.
The form is found at http://www.extremefly.com/demoform.pdf
The cost for 2 weeks from is around $40 plus return shipping.
Precision Aerodymanics
Precision Aerodynamics, Inc.
Highway 127 North
P.O. Box 386
Dunlap, TN 37327
Phone: 423-949-4688
Fax: 423-949-5174
Contact Precision directly to arrange for a demo of one of their canopies. http://www.Aerodynamics.com
Icarus Canopies Inc.
1627 US 1
Sebastian, Florida 32958
Phone: (561) 581-8131
Fax: (561) 581-8132
Icarus has numerous contact locations world wide the complete list is found here: http://www.icaruscanopies.com/contact.htm
Icarus maintains demo centers http://www.icaruscanopies.com/demo_centers.htm where you can arrange to demo the canopies they have in stock. At one point they were also offering a 30 day money back guarantee that you would like the canopy if you ordered a new one and quite a few people were finding the waiting list for a new canopy was shorter then the list for a demo from the factory. I’m not sure if this is still in effect so contacting the factory for a demo if there is not a demo center near by is highly advised.
Aerodyne Research Corporation
Post Office Box 13424
Tampa, Florida 33681-3424
Phone: (813) 837-1673
Fax: (813) 835-0972
[email protected]
Aerodyne does offer a demo program but it is not highly advertised. Contact them directly to get further details on the product that you are interested in demoing. The lease fee is $25 per weekend and the value of all borrowed equipment must be secured on your personal credit card. http://www.aerodyneusa.com/qhowdoigetde.html
Square1/2/3 also has a unique demo program where you put money down toward the purchase of new gear and you can jump their demo gear for a reduced rate or free if you put enough money down upfront. This is a great program if you are looking for your first new rig and might be downsizing rapidly in the near future or are not sure at all what you are looking for. Contact your nearest Square for more details on this program.http://www.square1.com
Info on how to demo Pisa gear would be great to add to this list too since it is becoming popular in the States and Overseas.
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

Some PISA gear (Hornet Heatwave) can be demoed from American Skydiving Systems in Biloxi MS. they advertise in Skydiving magazine and Parachutist.
Also www.bigairsportz.com...Brian Germain's site can tell you how to demo a Samurai (good canopy) or Lotus (no experience with that one). Brian is very easy going and has talked to me (someone he does not know from Adam) for 15 minutes about canopies over the phone...very nice guy and neat canopies if you want something a little different. Also if you really love Jedeis...hint...he still has the patterns and will make you a brand new one if you ask nice.
:D

Yeah... I can't believe I forgot the person that taught me a ton about canopies and canopy flight...
Big Air Sportz
8525 Bramwell Way
Tampa Florida 33647
Tel.: (813) 788 4444 or (813) 230-2161.
Brian just handed me a Samurai demo out of his car when I saw him over Christmas... Great guy and he'll listen to anything and give you honest feed back too... Check them out if you are thinking about going with a new canopy. Demo's are usually sent out for 2 weeks and are in short supply so get the form in early if you ned it by a certian date.
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

Great info phree!
[shameless self-promotion mode]
Besides the "demo program" jumpers of all experience levels can demo a wide variety of mains and containers and also PD reserves at Square One (Perris Valley), Square 2 (Eloy) and Square 3 (Cross Keys). The gear may not be removed from the respective drop zone (ie we don't ship it out). Use of a main or PD reserve for a jump or a day is done at no charge if you are wanting to try something out because you are looking to purchase. Use of a complete rig (container/reserve/Cypres/main) is $65 per day (unlimited # of jumps) if you are not on the "demo program"; free if you are. In all cases you'll be asked to fill out and sign a waiver, and provide valid credit card information - this is to assure that you will pay for any damage to or loss of the equipment while you are using it.
Feel free to contact me by PM, email ([email protected]) or phone 800-877-7191 if you have any questions about demoing equipment through any of the "Squares," or you can contact the stores directly by email -
Square One, on the dz at Perris - [email protected]
Square2, on the dz at Eloy - [email protected]
Square3, on the dz at Cross Keys - [email protected]
[/shameless self-promotion mode]
pull & flare,
lisa
"But our reality is in fact entire illusion!"
-Gregory Benford

lisa said it!! "the Squares"
one thing lisa forgot to mention.. when on the demo program The squares will arrange, either at your request or a suggestion from themselves, a demo canopy not currently in stock at the respective store. The girls at S3 got 2 of us a triathalon for a few weeks and in the end about 9 different people ended up putting jumps on it.. works out pretty good for everyone involved.
I did business with square3 for 4 months, and square2 for about 1 1/2 months.. and lisa at square one has helped me out more than a few times.. I've got to say that I'm extremely pleased with the service, the constant landing and canopy control questions, information and overall help.
Cant recommend the squares enough.
http://kel197.tripod.com/skydivefriendsTRIPOD/