ECVZZ

First canopy

I"ll be buying my first rig this summer, and would like advice on a main. My home DZ is 5000 ft. ASL, I Have 29 jumps, and will be jumping a 230 sq. ft. canopy @ 1:1.
I jumped a 230 Spectre at Perris and loved it. How will that same canopy perform at the higher altitude at my DZ?
Also, I've been told that I'll be happier with a 9 cell,(specifically, a Sabre 2). I will be demoing canopies before I make a decision, and a little advice on where to start will be a big help!
G. Jones

First canopy huh? Sabre II or a Triathalon. Both are 9 cells and have sweet openings. They are pretty forgiving as far as piloting. I suggest you talk to SkyBytch at Square. She will fix you up and tell you exactly what you should be piloting and is much more knowledagble than I .
Cheers!
BB
It only takes a little pixie dust......

A 230 will be faster through the air and on landing at 5000' than it was at Perris (Perris is at about 1500'). What size canopies have you flown at your home DZ?
You may or may not be happier with a 9 cell; it really depends on how you want to fly and land your canopy. Personally I love the Spectre because it's a 7 cell; for me a 7 cell is easier to land and I can have just as much fun under canopy with it. Another 7 cell to check out is the Triathlon. Some 9 cells worth checking out are the Sabre2, Safire, and Hornet. Any of the above will be a good first canopy and should give you smooth, slow openings and easy landings. :)pull and flare,
lisa

Thanks to everybody for your thoughts. I now have Triathlon, Safire, Hornet, and Sabre 2 on my list to jump before I buy.
Lisa, to answer your question, I have only jumped a 288 Manta at this altitude. The rest of my jumps were on the spectre, and soft openings and good landings were the characteristics that I liked most about it (it was really responsive too, at least for what I'm used to!).Are all the canopies I mentioned above (except the Manta) zp?
G. Jones
"The mayfly lives only one day. And sometimes it rains...."

I totally agree with Lisa nd Rhino. A 7 cell and a conservative design is a good idea for a 1st canpoy because they have better lift at slow speeds. However, ultimately the type of canopy you get will have to match you style of flying, so stick with something that is close to what you learned on for the first 20+ jumps at the very least. Stay safe until you really can get the absolute last bet of preformance out of a doscile canopy before you move on. I have too many firends who were flying canopies at the edge of their abilities and got hurt.
God bless us and God Bless America
Albatross

i cannot agree more i put over a hundred jumps on a f111 canopy before i decided to down size iv now put ove 250+
jumps on my current one and am ready to down size again
dont rush it!!!
btw i currently jump a 7 cell canopy(icraus omega)!!!!!
if ya can't dodge it RAM IT !!!!!!
click me

LOL...well i am trying to catch up with Lummy and Skymama~
Toto~ I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...... I was merely pointing out that I own a damn Tri and have been at this puter too long. Thanks everyone for pointing out the error. Sky you did it with the most class!
Cheers
It only takes a little pixie dust......

As a student I jumped Mantas (290) until I got my A licence. I then put about 40 jumps on a Sharp Shooter ((240). I then went to a PD-190 as my first canopy, and put over 100 jumps on it. I only moved down to a Saber 170 when I knew I could do just about anything with the PD190. As with most good advice you will get here ...... take it slow and be conserative. Its all good.