Viking

Please Give opinions on this rig setup.

I was board today at school so i went to square1.com and looked through the used gear sections. This is what i found.
Jav J4 450 jumps DOM 4/93
PD Spectre 210 360 jumps DOM 11/00
PD193R 0 jumps DOM 12/91
Cypres Single Pin Expert DOM 3/95
The container,reserve, and AAD are a package deal at $1800 and the Main is $900.
I am about 6'3" and weight about 185-190 right out of the shower.
Now what i am asking is do any of these peices of gear have problems that i should know about? For the container,reserve,aad package should i be carefull b/c of it age?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

You can buy a much nicer set for $2700.
Get some in-stock special container for around $900, Hornet or some PA canopy, if they still have the discount, and a new reserve, and pick up a Cypres of similar vintage for around $300, and you will end up in the same price range with a much better system..

ok so a $900 container+ a $1000 main+a $1000 reserve+a $300 AAD (where in the hell are you finding an airworthy cypres at that price?!) thats $3200. Did i mention i was a jobless (at the moment, Summer job here i come) college student? I might consider a new Hornet but the container will be used. Unless i win the loto in the near future that is ;)
oh and to Lisa, DAMN!!! :)I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

Man, just keep your eye on all the classifieds... my first rig was a 96' J4, 96' Sabre190, 96' PD176R, & 99' Cypress... all with about 600 jumps on it when I got it (except for the cypress & reserve of course lol). I only paid $2,100 for the entire setup! :)btw: I just sold that rig minus the cypress for..... $2,100! :D
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

If you are wondering about the history of any used gear sold by Square One, ask to see the inspection report. I filled out hundreds of them when I worked there. A score of 4 or 5 means that you will get more than a thousand jumps out of the rig. A score of 3 means that you won't win fashion points, but it is airworthy.
A score of 2 means that it will last another season or two. A score of 1 means don't waste your time.
Other reputable lofts will provide similar inspection sheets on request.

i don't like being in dept thats why i go to a community college ($14 a credit) and pay cash for every jump.

Not an English major, are you? :D
Get yourself some gear, Viking! Renting will bankrupt you. I'll let the gear-gurus [cough] Lisa [/cough] give you better info than I could on what is appropriate for you. :)Justin

my first rig was a 96' J4, 96' Sabre190, 96' PD176R, & 99' Cypress

GREAT!!!! we were a little worried about you jumping the safire 189 in Derek's J4 this weekend, but you won't have any problem with the switch especially since the safire had a mod done to it that makes the flare 10x stronger, and will leave you with very soft openings.
Can't wait you meet you and Pam
Kelli

Hey Viking, if I remember your size, I may have something you can use for a while . . . it's an older Talon with a Paraflite 200 sq ft reserve. The harness is a little too big for me. It's sized for a 200-220 sq ft main. No Cypres, but should be easy to install one. If you want to use it for a while, you can - I'm not using it.
-bill von

bill you sir freakin rock!!!! I am planning on "downsizing" from the PD260 to the Sabre 230 on my next jump. I don't think i want to put on new gear until i get my A. Does this rig come with a main? i owe you a case of your choice for this.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

< I might consider a new Hornet but the container will be used.>
Just thought I would give some general advice on buying gear. If given a choice, rather buy a new container and a used main. There are a couple of reasons for this. First off, you are less likely to keep a main for the entire life of it than you are a container. Most people will switch out their main well before their container. If you buy a new main and sell it in a few hundred jumps, you will take a much bigger loss than if you had purchased a new one. Secondly, your comfort level will be a lot higher if you get a container made to your exact measurements. You might find a container close enough to fit you and your canopies but it will not be as good as one made to your exact measurements.
As far as the cypress goes, i would bite the bullet and buy a new one. There is a lot of expense in maintaining a cypress. When you look at being closer to this maintenance and the fact that cypress' have gotten cheaper lately (less than a $1000) and that after 12 years you basically have to throw them away, and I think it just makes better sense to buy a new one.
William

I'm still new to all this but this is the configuration my rigger and a few people recommended. Javelin + PD canopies, price sounds really decent. Just make sure that the harness fits you, I'm 6'6" and nobody had anything used for me. 6'+ people tend to have some trouble finding used containers. On the other hand sometimes it pays to get something made to fit you... it is a matter of choice (and money) though.

Try to order directly from manny at Icarus. Hornet +/- 650 $ , tempo reserve +/- $550 and the Vortex11 container +/- $ 750. Check the previous post " Where to order my hornet" for all the contact details. The Vortex is a very good container, Much like a Javelin or Wings
" With skydiving you start with a lot of luck and a little experience, the trick is to fill the bag of experience before the bag of luck runs out"
Blue Skies