lippy

Helmet Question

I'm looking to buy a helmet, cause I'm getting sick of the stupic rental protecs, and since I already have my rig paid for I can actually afford to buy stuff. I'm looking at getting a skateboard or BMX helmet...I like the look, and the price, and the selection at local stores. Anybody know anything I should know before I run out and spend $80 on something no good for jumping...Any info appreciated.
It's not a real sport unless you can die from massive internal trauma.
Lippy

Think about how/where you'll mount an audible.

I think I'm gonna rely on a hand-mount for the forseeable future, but thanks for the warning.
It's not a real sport unless you can die from massive internal trauma.
Lippy

I think I'm gonna rely on a hand-mount for the forseeable future

Thats what I said........$285 later I'm the owner of a protrack.... Then I didnt like the way it bulged in my ear in my 20$ protec and went out and bought an avaitor!!!! This sport is jsut like chest...you always have to be looking ahead !!!
jason

Once you start getting into more complex dives with other jumpers, be it RW or Freeflying, you'll really like having the audible to let you know when you're getting close to pull time, so you can concentrate on the dive and not have to look at your altimeter every few seconds.

Lippy,
You really need to get a dytter. What a wonderful invention! Four of us almost burned in back in the olden days while doing RW. We were really concentrating on what we were doing. That is everything except watching altimeters and the ground coming up. Audibles weren't invented yet and if even one of us had one this situation wouldn't have happened. I ended up pulling at about 800ft while watching the ground come up to get me. I now jump with two altimeters and a dytter. Steve

>Once you start getting into more complex dives with other jumpers, be it RW or Freeflying, you'll really like
>having the audible to let you know when you're getting close to pull time, so you can concentrate on the dive
>and not have to look at your altimeter every few seconds.
I would not give such advice. If you are getting into dives that are complex enough that you have to split your attention between RW and altitude awareness - you are not ready for the more complex dives. Altitude awareness has to be both automatic and your #1 priority. If you need something to let you know you're getting close to pull time there's something wrong there. And if you do set an audible up that way - beeps 5 seconds before pull time or something - you may just go in when the batteries die and there's no beep.
I think the best possible way to use an audible is to set it 5 seconds _below_ breakoff. That way, if you ever hear the beep, stop what you're doing immediately, track off and pull. You are less likely to become dependent on it that way, and that method of use cannot replace your normal A/A, based on time or your eyes.
-bill von