rendezvous

Catapult pilot chute for reserve

I was reading abou the benefits of the catapult reserve pilot chute and was curious to know what does everyone else think about it. If it can truely overcome the horse shoe mal on a reserver then why isn't it made the standard for all containers. Why does only Reflex have it.

The Catapult is not with out problems of its own....
There is an increased pack volume associated with the extra PC. There was suspicion that in a normal opening the extra PC could lead to possible bag strip but I think the jury is still out on that one. The Extra PC can induce a twist as it comes off the back in a normal deployment during the possibility for line twists on your reserve. Thats all I remember off the top of my head for the bad...
Reflex is the one that invented the system and market demand never really got to the point where the "Catapult" was the only reason people bought the Reflex. If the consumers do not demand it.... there is no incentive to spend extra money testing and certifying something...
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

>I was reading abou the benefits of the catapult reserve pilot chute and was curious to know what does everyone else think about it.
Benefits:
Faster reserve deployment (more drag)
Helps clear reserve horseshoes
Drawbacks:
Makes reserve pack job slightly larger
One more thing to snag/misroute/cause problems
As of last year, there had been two "saves" where people had main/reserve entanglements but had their reserves deploy normally, and one case where the entanglement could not be cleared by the catapult (the main and reserve were massively twisted together.)
>If it can truely overcome the horse shoe mal on a reserver then why isn't it made the standard for all containers.
Because reserve horseshoes are pretty rare.
-bill von

I have an early Reflex and have it installed on mine. The volume really isn't an issue. Where the catapult PC goes isn't really filled very well without it. It helps fill the area at the top of the regular PC and below the yolk. I believe with the method its attached and packed, it will save more lives than it takes. It's fairly well accepted that the normal wide freebag bridle will have a hard time deploying a bag by itself in case of a horseshoe. Many manufacturers now have "assist" pockets on their bridles. Just think of this as a big assist pocket. Since Fliteline TSO'd the rig with (first) and without it it's really up to the individual.

What if in a total situation, or for whatever reason you have to pull your reserve in a stable position and the primary PC of the catapult bounces around in your burble one to many times, but at the same time the secondary PC takes your reserve right off your back. Could be very bad.

As I understand the intent of the design, and pack it per the instructions, your scenario is possible but not likely. The catapult PC is packed under a small flap at the top of the container. If the main PC with its spring doesn't clear the burble it's unlikely (but not impossible) the catapult is going to get into the wind. The intent is for the wide bridle to be able to deploy the catapult if the main PC is captured, and the catapult PC to then be able to deploy the free bag. Like I said before, I believe that it will save more lives than it takes, but anything's possible.

>What if in a total situation, or for whatever reason you have to pull your reserve in a stable position and the
>primary PC of the catapult bounces around in your burble one to many times, but at the same time the secondary
>PC takes your reserve right off your back. Could be very bad.
True, but one alternative (the reserve PC does not ever get clear air, or hesitates for 10 seconds) is worse. It's a tradeoff. Fortunately you can use the rig either way - with the catapult or without.
-bill von

My concern w/ the catapult is in the event the reserve is fired while the jumper is on their back (a scenario that makes a reserve horseshoe possible that the catapult is supposed to be designed to fix), what is one PC goes on one side of the jumper and one PC launches on the other side of the jumper. Now they are working against each other and the jumper is in real trouble. I am not saying this is what would happen, just my concern.
Hook

Had my first reserve repack on my reflex last night (and well into this morning). I had been considering having the catapult removed but I decided to keep it. I heard a few stories about people that could have been saved by the catapult, and none about people killed by it, so I figure its probably a good thing to have. My old rigger loved the thing, but I found out from another rigger thats because the catapult could have saved two people that he packed reserve malfunctions if they needed to use the reserves. My new rigger is, well, a new rigger. My reserve was the first he's packed without supervision. I want every safety device i can get on that thing! When someone proves that it can do more bad than good (I hope its not me), I'll consider removing it.
Dave

My take on it is this: IF you have a horseshoe, the Catapult is your friend, but, IF you have a hesitation on your primary, it COULD be your enemy.
I would put money down that most everyone that went through their student training with a spring loaded pilot chute had at least one PC hesitation, but less than 1% of us have had a horseshoe on the same system.

I haven't quite got the picture here. Why is primary Pilot chute hesitation an issue of concern. If the primary is hesitating and the catapult chute lifts the bag out why would that be bad. Is it something to do with the possibility of line twists being induced.

>My take on it is this: IF you have a horseshoe, the Catapult is your friend, but, IF you have a hesitation on your primary, it COULD be your enemy.
Well, a long hesitation is essentially a horseshoe. It is scenarios like hesitations that the Catapult was intended to mitigate. If you do have a reserve-PC hesitation, and the Catapult lifts the bag off your back, it has just done its job. There is a slightly increased chance of reserve problems (like a reserve PC through the reserve lines) but it's a pretty small one.
-bill von

rendezvous
No. It has nothing to do the possibility of line twists being induced. It has every thing to do with your primary reserve PC following the free bag after passing through and or around your reserve suspension lines. A reserve PC in this situation can violently dart around for 1, 2, or 3+ seconds and the shoot off. If this happens, the likelihood of it passing through and or around your reserve suspension lines is very good prior to darting off. Resulting in a very bad situation.