Mabee

Pilot Chute Assist info

PCA is not much different, training and usage wise, than direct bag. You have to cover PC-in-tow during the FJC, but that's probably something people should do anyway. There are also slightly different what-to-do-if-container-opens-on-step procedures.
-bill von

Let's get our terimology straight here.
IAD refers to "Instructor Assisted Deployment", where the instructor tosses the student's pilotchute as the student falls away from the airplane.
"Pilotchute Assist" refers to an older form of static-line. A static-line configured for PCA has a piece of Velcro on the end that mates to another piece of Velcro on the base of the pilotchute. Like all other static-lines, the PCA is clipped to a hardpoint in the airplane. As the student falls away, the static-line first pulls the pin, then pulls the pilotchute into the wind. When the pilotchute grabs air, the Velcro releases. Then the static-line remains attached to the airplane while the jumper continues falling away. Some PCA are configured with soft pilotchutes and some are configured with spring-loaded pilotchutes.
I don't like PCA because it gives the student too much time to interfer with main deployment.

Thanks, Rob. That's what I had understood.
When you say that PCA gives the student too much time to interfere with the deployment, how is this different from IAD? I would expect the two deployment sequences to be quite similar, if not indistinguishable.

My guess is that Rob was comparing PCA to Direct Bag when he said it gives the student too much time to interfere. Also for FJC, you have to cover the PC over malfunction where the PC goes over the nose instead of trailing behind. I think Para-Gear and/or PPM would have some photos/diagrams/descriptions of the S/L PAC.
alan

>When you say that PCA gives the student too much time to interfere with the deployment, how is this different from IAD?
In PCA, you have to reach the end of the static line before deployment begins, thus giving the student another half second or so to interfere with deployment. On the other hand, the assist velcro/breakline helps ensure the PC ends up in clean air, although that's not too much of an issue with a competent IAD instructor.
PCA compared to deployment bag gives the student a lot more ability to interfere with deployment, since most students are strong enough to grab and hang onto the PC (or get it wrapped around themselves.) Since your entire body weight is used to deploy in direct bag, and the SL/bag does not separate until the canopy is out of the bag, you have a somewhat better guarantee of a good canopy.
-bill von

In PCA, you have to reach the end of the static line before deployment begins, thus giving the student another half second or so to interfere with deployment. On the other hand, the assist velcro/breakline helps ensure the PC ends up in clean air, although that's not too much of an issue with a competent IAD instructor.

I haven't had to try it yet on one of my IAD students but I was also told that if the student leaves the stut extremely unstable that with IAD you can "short-line" them easier. Hold on to the PC until it pulls the pin and then toss it.
Any yay's or nay's on this method? I haven't had to use it yet but there were a couple of instances where I almost did.
Kris

bill von and Kris are correct.
With PCA assist, the static-line, pilotchute, bag and lines are dragged over the student's shoulder, making them easy to grab. Most paniced students have enough muscle to hang onto a pilotchute, sleeve, or d-bag. They do not have enough muscle to hang onto a direct bag.
Since the whole PCA set up is longer, it gives the student an extra half-second to backloop off the step and interfer with deployment.
A major advantage of IAD is that the piltochute deploys straight behind the student, making it impossible for all but the clumbsiest of students to grab it.
Kris, was correct. If you have the world's clumbsiest IAD student on your load, then you hang onto the pilotchute until the d-bag is beyond his reach.
None of these three systems is perfect, but I believe that IAD offers the fewest opportunities for human error.

>With PCA assist, the static-line, pilotchute, bag and lines are dragged over the student's shoulder, making them easy to grab.
Did you find this to be the case? When we used it, it seemed like the assist velcro would separate shortly after the PC deployed, resulting in the bag deploying behind him rather than over his shoulder. Maybe we had weak velcro.
>None of these three systems is perfect, but I believe that IAD offers the fewest opportunities for human error.
I think it involves the most opportunities for human error, since there's a lot more to do on the step, and it takes both hands and a little bit of handling skill to not pull the pin prematurely (for example.) With direct bag, once the SL is connected, deployment is nearly guaranteed - if you can just get him to let go, that is.
Done correctly, however, I think IAD gives you the cleanest deployment, everything else being equal.
-bill von

>Done correctly, however, I think IAD gives you the cleanest deployment, everything else being equal.
Agreed! Here's a short story since we're talking about deployments:
I had a bit of a mal on my first IAD. (I had done two tandems and was starting our student program). I was in our C-185, getting out at 4 or 4.5 grand, I forget which. I climbed out onto the strut, gave the ready set go, let go....and found myself in freefall with my pilot chute wrapped around my left arm.
I unwrapped the puppy and threw it and had a nice normal deployment, but that could have gotten nasty.
Turns out my instructor threw the PC a bit, rather then letting it get dragged out of his hand and also I had dearched some off the strut.
Nice introduction to the sport huh? I landed and said I was never jumping again. Yeahhhh....right :)
Blue Skies,
Heather
http://www.skydivewings.com

Turns out my instructor threw the PC a bit, rather then letting it get dragged out of his hand and also I had dearched some off the strut.

havent done a IAD in a few years now, but as I remember, you are supposed to throw it downwards in a line of flight kinda way, not let it be dragged from you...
Remster
Muff 914

>havent done a IAD in a few years now, but as I remember, you are supposed to throw it downwards in a line of flight kinda way, not let it be dragged from you...
Hmm...well, maybe I had heard them wrong. Maybe he didn't throw it in the proper direction? Or maybe he threw it too early? Does it sound like either of those mistakes would lead to that kind of situation? I ought to ask my old instructors about that jump again. I wish there was video of it!
The bridle had wrapped around a few times, I had red lines on my arm for a week or so. I also logged 5 seconds of freefall for that jump. I felt I deserved it :)
I did my third IAD with him with no problems. We were both nervous that time!
Blue skies,
Heather
http://www.skydivewings.com