SpeedRacer

rigging standard procedure

I normally take a quick look at high wear areas like risers and d-bags, but a full main inspection costs extra.
I only believe that the rigger is responsible for re-attaching the main risers to the harness straight. Whether the main gets repacked is a matter of loft policy

I do the pretty much the same as the other answers. If the main comes in with the rig I almost always have to unpack it to be able to repack the reserve. The main gets reattached, the line continuity checked, I usually check the links, the velco on the PC and rig gets checked (actually usually before the repack). I check the main bridle pin attachment, the main PC attachment french link, the steering lines for wear. I flex the main risers as I reattach it and clean and lubricate the 3 ring cables since most of my customers don't bother. I check the main loop for wear, any spandex for condition. (didn't try to list things in any order) Also check for main service bulletins (i.e. Sunpath main loop grommet cover, Fliteline grommet reset)
These are all main things that each skydiver should check but usually don't. What I tell my customers is they will get the main back unpacked, on straight. All of the stuff listed above takes only a couple of minutes and I routinely find maintainence that has been neglected, especially when I get rigs in that I haven't packed before or in awhile. What's scary is some of the stuff I see come in that hasn't been taken care of. I had one rig this year with a list of about 9 things that needed to be taken care of.
I don't pack mains (even at extra cost) because everyone packs them a little different and I don't want someone to complain about the opening. They ususally don't complain about the reserve. :) A full main inspection includes looking at every seam, every inch of fabric, every line, etc, etc. That's why a full inspection of the main isn't included.

If I get a rig for repack that has the main still in it, I will open the container, lay the d-bag and risers over the front near a wall, cut the main away, then duck tape the risers to the floor in two places so it does not get disturbed. I then repack the reserve, hook the main back up, and close the container. I generally do not repack the main unless the rig is given to me with the main unpacked.
My webpage HERE

I now a lot of riggers do things like this. Some have demonstrated mats with velco tabs and things to keep it straight. I know this can be done but I've never thought it was worth the risk of turning a riser or hooking it up backwards to save the guy from having to spend ten minutes packing. I'd rather open it up, hook it up, and that gives me a chance to take a quick look at it. Not to mention in the cold northwest this time of year most of the mains have been packed for 4 or 5 months anyway.

For what it's worth- I leave my main unpacked after the last jump of the weekend (or pack it and open it up again after I get home-) then I spread it out in the family room and take a real good look at everthing myself - I just started jumping last spring and this is something I chose to do on my own. My rigger is happy to do a main inspection when the reserve is due, but he will charge extra- But he no doubt will find things I miss - That why we pay them the big bucks! But I am choosing to be a little anal with my gear- That's just me!
Life begins at 14,000' - Shut up and jump!