sldiveout

reverse slider stops

Any riggers out there modified the risers on a High Performance canopy set up to keep the slider down behind the pilot's head? I'd like to have this done on my rig. My rigger has been making phone calls and such trying figure out the proper, safe way to do this- what do you think?

I have personally never seen the risers altered, but it may help to loosen the chest strap all the way to the stop. It will allow the risers to spead some, making it harder for the slider to come up much. I have seen a velcro loop on the top of the reserve flap, so you can put the riser behind your head, roll the slider, and wrap the velcro loop around it, which I will be getting on my new rig shortly.
Bret

My rigger makes the strap with the velcro loop for rigs for just a few bucks. Plus you don't have to have anything sewn to your jumpsuit and can remove it completely if you needed to. Also it is always there no matter what you are wearing.

Prolly cheaper to have a similar thing (velcro loop) fitted to the back of the jumpsuit, quite common.

Since nobody else has said it yet, I'll play safety nazi. You might want to think twice before you use anything that attatches your main parachute assembly to you or your rig, other than the three rings. In the event of a cutaway that little velcro loop could retain your main, possibly leading to an entanglement with your reserve. Somethin' to think about.
Mike D-23312
"It's such a shame to spend your time away like this...existing." JMH

Ya want to complain about safety issues? Look at the Slider stow location JC is using on the cover of this months Parachutist.... His chin.... that can easly cause a snag on cutaway if you ask me. Plus look at all the steering line twists on the left hand lines....
OK... I got bored and it was the only thing skydiving at work today that I could look at.
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

I have used and built a bunch of velcro slider keepers. If you have stowed the slider in a velcro keeper, you have a good canopy, or really screwed up. If you have to cutaway, there is no way a small piece of velcro is going to support your body weight, or more if you are pulling "G"'s. Let's say that it did, when you fire the reserve, the velcro keeper would slide off the reserve flap, releasing the main. Velcro slider keepers aren't dangerous.
Hook

Okay safety nazis, you stow yer slider after the canopy is deployed and flying fine, why would a cutaway then be an issue, besides, they are stowed on a wee piece of velcro (which will detach on a cutaway) either on the jump suit or as described earlier on a strap which is not actually fixed to the rig. So whats the issue???

Slider-catchers.
You want slider-catchers.
I built a few slider-catchers while working at Rigging Innovations in the mid-1990s.
Slider catchers are sewn to the rear side of the front risers, only a few inches above the crotch. After opening, you pull the slider below the slider catchers and it stays there until you get to the packing mat. They start out like dive loops, but include plastic stiffeners that point down. I have been meaning to built a set for my Sabre, but have been too busy repairing school gear.
Slider-catchers earn their keep if some geek wraps you in the pattern. With no connection below the 3-rings, it is easy to cutaway.
Sandy Reid coined the term "slider-catcher", but it always sounded like a silly name to me.
"Slider Catcher" brings to mind visions of small song birds (sort of like gnat-catchers) flitting about the DZ catching sliders in their beaks and carrying them back to their nests. Judging by the box of old sliders under my packing table, you would think that slider-catchers have nested in my loft.

Hey,
Thanks much to grasshopper and Riggerbob. I think my rig is going to be much less annoying to fly this weekend. Not that it's too unsafe, I just don't like the idea of attaching or velcro-ing anything to my container or jumpsuit. Simple mods to risers like the blocks grasshopper has on his risers or the ones Riggerbob describes are the way to go.
-Diveout

I have seen the little blocks low on the risers; Jim Slaton uses them, as do some of his teammates. I use velcro slider keepers; both on all of my jumpsuits and ones that you can take on and off your top reserve flap for when you are jumping without a suit. I am pretty sure I gave Bryan Harrel at Elsinore the one he has; I make them for tons of people around here. It's only a five minute, one beer job.
My webpage HERE