christopherm

cypress

1 pins are designed for single pin containers like those found in Javelins, Migare, Wings, etc.
2 Pins are designed for containers like Reflex and Racers. I think there is one more 2 pin container too.
Both work the same, but the 2 pin has 2 cutters for the 2 lines.
AAD's are perfect to buy used as long as the maintence has been kept up to date on them. 2 year battery changes on Cypres and 4 year checks. There is a online Used Cypres value Calculator on Craig Poxon's site.
Political Correctness - At least one person at any one time will be offended by something

Opps.... I'm here at work and for some reason Reflexes poped into my head as being a two in system too. I know that the comment of Tear Drops being 2 pins is true on some of them, I've helped in the packing of a 2 pin one. (Might I say how big of a pain they are.....)
Political Correctness - At least one person at any one time will be offended by something

Watch the price when buying a used Cypres. Its been mentioned before, but the price of a new cypres has come way down. If you shop, you can find a new one for around $900.00.
With a used older unit, you need to consider the cost of maintenance and batteries when deciding just how much you are saving. Batteries need to be replaced every 2 years- say $60.00 give or take? Every 4 years it needs to be sent in for a complete inspection (plus new batteries) and that runs around $200.00, give or take (not including rigging.) I'm pretty sure a rigger needs to install/ reinstall the unit, and the batteries.
Just something else to consider. I've seen people asking $500.00 for a 4 year old cypres still due for its 4 year check. If you are new to the sport and don't know any better, you might think that's a pretty good deal.

DANGER!...DANGER...WILL ROBINSON!!!
Let tell you of my recent experience. I purchased a rig three weeks ago that "came with a Cypress". On delivery, I found the Cypress not installed, but laying in the botton of the box.
I checked the thing out with Cypress and they said the last two, four year updates had not been done and it needed a battery. Suprise! The cost of having these proceedures done exceeded the value of the Cypress.
Check out everything about a rig before purchasing it. It's sad there are cheats and decievers out there selling junk like this to the skydiving community.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Also remember that a 12 year old Cypres is worth zero.
Twelve years after the date of manufacture, the factory says to retire all Cypri. The oldest Cypri will start retiring in 2003.
Two-pin Cypri work the same as one-pin models, they are just designed for older containers with two reserve ripcord pins. When the Cypres was introduced, it steepened the decline in popularity of two-pin containers. Few users were willing to pay the extra bucks for two-pin Cypri and the Racer factory never updated their container to make it easy to pack with Cypri.
To get good at packing Racers with Cypri, I had to scrap all the tools recommended by the factory and develop my own. I will cheerfully share my "Pop-Top temporary loop" with any rigger who asks.
Currently the only two pin rigs still made in the USA - in significant numbers - are Racers and Strong Tandems. Hint, Racers are no longer listed in the Para-Gear catalog and Ted Strong assures me that they are working on a newer, simpler tandem rig.
The list of older rigs that require two-pin Cypri would fill a page, but let's see how many I can remember: Bullet, Catalyst, Chaser, Eagle, Excalibur, EZ Flyer, early Mirage, Prestige, Racer, Rapid Transit, Security System, Six Pack, Stewart Sweethog, Swift, Wonderhog, early Teardrop, Warp III, etc.
Most Pop-Tops are Racer clones and require two pin Cypri. The only exceptions are Relfelexs and later Tear Drops, which use a vastly simplified single-pin pilotchute.

Watch the price when buying a used Cypres. Its been mentioned before, but the price of a new cypres has come way down. If you shop, you can find a new one for around $900.00.

With a used older unit, you need to consider the cost of maintenance and batteries when deciding just how much you are saving. Batteries need to be replaced every 2 years- say $60.00 give or take? Every 4 years it needs to be sent in for a complete inspection (plus new batteries) and that runs around $200.00, give or take (not including rigging.) I'm pretty sure a rigger needs to install/ reinstall the unit, and the batteries.

Just something else to consider. I've seen people asking $500.00 for a 4 year old cypres still due for its 4 year check. If you are new to the sport and don't know any better, you might think that's a pretty good deal.

Really? Where could I buy new fot the price of 900$?

Really? Where could I buy new fot the price of 900$?

CYPRES (one) is no longer available new, as far as I am aware of, with the exception of some stock models some dealers may still have.

But, I would like to know where I can find a new CYPRES2 for $900.

For Great Deals on Gear