Emmie

older cypres

I'm thinking about buying a used cypres. I found one cheap, but its 7 1/2 years old, and the batteries and the factory check is coming up in July.
I was wondering if they are safe to jump when they are this close to the time of inspection, or if I should try to find one that's ready to go (I had little luck so far). I also can't send it away for its maintenance check now, because I'll need it fairly soon.
Any advice on the subject is welcome since I need to decide by Monday whether to buy the cypres or not.
Marianna

It should operate perfectly as long as the maintenance schedule is kept up. If it isn't due maint. yet...it isn't due maint..... One thing you have to consider is the price. In 4 and a half years that Cypres has to be thrown in the garbage. I think that makes it worth $300-400 dollars. Then you have to subtract the money for the maintenance check too. I would guess at $250 as a decent price for it. But that's just my guess.....
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

Depends on how cheap is cheap. You can get a new one for $850.00- $900.00 if you shop around or wait for a special.
The factory check, new batteries plus reserve repack will run around $250.00.
And if the life of a cypres is only 12 years, then you have 4 and 1/2 years to go.
If the person is asking $600.00 and you will need to spend another $250.00 in just a few months, then you might as well buy new. Personally, I don't think I'd pay more than $300.00 for a 7.5 year old cypres due for its check in.
Just my .02

I just ordered a 3 year old cypres with new batteries frrom Square2 for 700$. I figured that I'd be more comfortable jumping a rig with a newer cypres.

Go to this web-site and punch in the correct dates for your unit, it will tell you the value of a used CYPRES. As stated previously, a new one can usually be found for about $850.
http://www.poxon.org/Craig/Skydive/Tools/CypresValuer.asp
alan