jclalor

Downsizing from a 250

I Have been jumping a solo 250 for about my last 300 jumps, is going down to a 210 to big of a leap? I weigh about 240 out the door and would just like to get something a little more sporty. (I'm also old as dirt at 50)

would a 210 (pulse?) fit inside a container built for a 250?

Thanks

I'm 255 out the door, and jumped both a Navigator 260 and Navigator 220 a few weeks ago just for the shits of it. There is hardly any difference in that size range. If you were happy with the solo 250 but want something slightly more sporty, I think you'd be very happy with a pulse 210.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I feel a bit silly offering any suggestion here, since I have far too little experience to know, but hopefully a leading question doesn't come off presumptuous: does your DZ or local gear shop have anything in between that you can rent/borrow for a few jumps to judge for yourself?

I feel a bit silly offering any suggestion here, since I have far too little experience to know, but hopefully a leading question doesn't come off presumptuous: does your DZ or local gear shop have anything in between that you can rent/borrow for a few jumps to judge for yourself?

Never appologise for posting common, good sense. B|

@ OP... Check with your local instructors on size, but you might want to demo a couple canopies from the Manufactuers. It's a great way to try before you buy. Larger DZ's or Boogies sometimes have them available. Contact the Manufactuer of your choice.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Actually, that's about what I was going to say. Demo a Spectre 230 for a few jumps, then move on.
Wings containers have a long closing loop, so there's a good chance you can take out enough slack to make the 210 work, but I'd email the container manufacturer with the container serial number and date-of-manufacture and the particulars on the canopies to get their opinion.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Good advice.
Also chat with a coach before jumping any new canopy.
Ideally, the coach will video your landing, then you can review the video with him/her to decide how to improve your next landing.
Alternately, ask a friend to video you landing the new canopy and share the video with a coach in the evening.

Spent ~800 jumps on a PD-260 and Star Trak II (~300sqr ft)

Finally went to a Spectre 230 and after ~300 more jumps picked up a Spectre 210 as well.

At the same time (over 20 years) I've gone from an exit weight of 235 to 260.

Personally, I would recommend demo'ing a 230. If you don't think you're going to want to stay with it long enough to pay full price, get a used one. Don't be in a hurry to down size, give that 230 a good work out, I think you can find that it's "fun enough" for now.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...