Jeji

What toys to get?

Ok, this is the third time I've been stashing a bit of cash aside for the sole purpose of getting some gear together and everytime I wait to buy anything, something always comes up and I end up spending it. So... this time I'm not going to wait. Right now I have an altimeter and a pair of gloves. Don't want to get my jumpsuit yet because I really don't have much idea of my fallrate, and unless I get it all green it will probally be stained beyond repair in 5 jumps! Any comments on a decent helmet to get ( not sure that I would like a full face ) or any other toys that I just have to have????????
Thank you!!!
Jessi

Helmets - I like my Aviator. Works for RW or freefly, holds an audible (the newest design has an interior audible port so you don't have to worry about $200+ flying away), and it fits a wide variety of head sizes and shapes.
The Nvertigo helmet by Skysystems is no longer being made, but you might be able to find some on a shelf somewhere. The Hurricane is their replacement for the Nvertigo. The Nvertigo X is still available; that one is designed for camera mounting. All three SkySystems helmets are very close fitting; they seem to fit people with slim faces best. All three have exterior audible mounts.
The Mindwarp is cool. Seems to fit those who don't have slim faces (was that PC enough??? ;)) best. Exterior audible mount.
On any helmet, I highly recommend that you try one on for sizing before you buy.
Goggles - I like FlexZ Minis. Last for many jumps, made from a soft plastic so they don't scratch as easily as Kroops and when they do scratch it doesn't show as bad, can be rolled up and stuffed in your pocket then come out no worse for the wear. They don't look as cool as some of the others that are available though.
pull and flare,
lisa
---
D14633; WSCR 1270; Hate Spewing Canopy Nazi 1

What's wrong with Protek?
I'm just starting out and I had been renting stinky, scratched up Proteks from my DZ for my jumps until I got a z1 thrown into another purchase I made. My last jump, one of the other jumpers had a shiny comfortable looking Protek! Since it was his it probably wasn't a hassel to get it sized correctly, and it probably wasn't dripping with other jumper's sweat.
I know many people like brand names and fashion, but $50 or $60 for a Protek vs $200+++ for a polycarbon fashion statement is something to consider.
Milo

Thing against Protecs is you really cant cadd to them down the road if you want to add video or other stuff. There is like 1 mount for the Protec vs dozens for the other helmets.
Protecs are like the Ford Pinto hatchbacks... gets the job done but is nothing to look at. The other stuff is there for Eye candy only....
Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)

Hey jessi, based on what you said about your landings and depending on how many jumps you have I would buy a PROTEK . I know people with 400+ jumps that still wear them. I domt know how many jumpos you have but if your starting out it would be a great helmut. You said yourself that your landings arent the best yet so why buy a 200$ helmut just to crash in and put a big scratch in . IF your looking to fly cameras right now go for the nice helmut but if your a Loooong way awya form that save your $$ and get the protek. I fly one and have no problems. They may not look as cool but hey whats more cool jumping outa a plane at 120mph or sitting on the sidelines cause you just spent all your $$ on a helmut. Its u to you but this is just my thoughts on it.
jason
A38658

Well... it looks like a Protec may be the way to go for the time. I have a loooooong way till I can even think of flying a camera. Just off AFF!! Then maybe I can go ahead and get an audible. So that poses another Q. How well can you mount one inside/outside of a Protec? And it is worth it to spend the extra $100 bucks for a Pro Track ( I'm a sucker for gadgets ) or just go ahead and get a Dytter. The Pro Track looks really cool, but is it cool enough to spend the extra cash on???????? Also, ( I know I just have a million and 1 Q's!! ) any comments on a Gath???? Looks a bit COOLER than a Protec, but not as expensive as most of the others???
Thanks soooo much!!!
Jessi

The ProTrack is a really cool gadget; it's fun to check out the data on the ground. But the ProDytter will do everything you need an audible to do.
Protecs are pretty easy to mount audibles in - you can locate it at the ear vents inside the helmet and tie it on with zip ties or bungees.
The Gath was originally a surfing helmet - surfing as in ocean. It does not come set up for an audible and is a bit harder than a Protec to mount one on. It has less padding than a Protec so it is close-fitting. imho the plastic is more flexible than the plastic used for the Protec.
pull and flare,
lisa
---
"I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood..."

The ProTrack is a really cool gadget; it's fun to check out the data on the ground. But the ProDytter will do everything you need an audible to do.

Agreed....but the ProTrack is great for lazy people like me that may do 10-15 jumps in a weekend and not log anything for a few weeks.. :)

Protecs are pretty easy to mount audibles in - you can locate it at the ear vents inside the helmet and tie it on with zip ties or bungees.

I've never personally used one with an audible, but I've heard many people complain that with all the air holes in a Protec, it is so loud during freefall that you can't hear the audible when it's attached on the outside.. I did see one girl with a very large helmet(aren't the shells all the same size?), with a thick liner that she cut out a portion of to fit her ProTrack - she says she can hear it great.. I've also seen people tape up the holes on their Protecs so they can cut down the airflow in there and hear their audible..

The Gath was originally a surfing helmet - surfing as in ocean.

That's ok....the Oxygen was originally designed as an extreme bass fishing helmet.. ;)
Mike

Hey Jessi
I wouldn't rule out a full face to fast. As your fairly new to the game it gives great protection for RW jumps especially when your flying skills are a little rough, and you can hear your pro tract great. I got a flip up visor factory diver used for $100 bucks and it was in excellent condition. I didn't think I wanted a full face but now I love it. So don't rule out to early check out everything you can. Good luck.
Bleau Skies

Another cool thing about Protecs - they have probably the best impact protection of any helmet out there (except of course for the face-area impact) ... unless you're still jumping with an old motorcycle helmet.
Then, I saw these two guys swoopin across the pond, and I was like 'weeeeeee!!!!'

jessi,
I recently got a Pro-Track and i love it. Im very inexperienced as far as F/F time goes... only have 36 jumps. So a lot of my jumps are solos. Right now im getting ready to train with Monkey Claw within the next few days. Heath has me getting out of the plane (doing a solo) and learning to be comfortable flying on my back. Without the pro-track I wouldnt have any idea what my speed(s) are. But now, when I do do that first coach jump with him and he asks me whats my fall rate like i can give him some definate answers. (damn, i sound like an Infomercial).
But its pretty cool knowing how fast im going, how fast my average speed(s) were. Besides that, I hate doing math, and because i added in my previous jumps before my first jump with it on it adds up my F/F time too.
besides all that, im a sucker for details, and my protrack gives me that.
kelly
PS~ im one of the 'narrow headed' folks that jump/love my invertigo~

"i can not attest to what i did, just what i remember...."
~me, after one too many